To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Big Dave

Multiple people dead, including suspect, in mass shooting at Jacksonvi

Rate this topic

Big Dave

Multiple people dead, including suspect, in mass shooting at Jacksonville Landing

By the Florida Times Union

Sunday, August 26

Multiple people are dead, including the lone suspect, after a mass shooting Sunday afternoon at the Jacksonville Landing during a video game tournament, a chaotic scene at a waterfront venue synonymous with downtown, immediately thrusting the city into the national spotlight.

Police had secured the waterfront mall Sunday afternoon but told residents to stay away from the area.

Many details about the shooting were not immediately clear, including how many people were dead and what kind of gun the suspect used. Police publicly referred to the incident as a “mass shooting,” a term with varying definitions that often means at least three or four people have died.

City Councilman Reggie Gaffney, whose district includes downtown, told a Times-Union reporter he learned from police the suspect committed suicide. In brief remarks to reporters, Williams said the suspect was a white male but would not identify him.

Witnesses on scene said the shooting was connected to a “Madden NFL 19” video game tournament at GLHF Game Bar inside the Landing. The tournament was shown on a video game live-stream service called Twitch, which captured what sounded like gunshots and screams in the background of game play. Williams said investigators have seen the Twitch video.

For the rest of the story...

Link:HERE

I am posting this in media because I am trying to find out why this became a national news story. I live less than a mile from where it happened. There has been a flurry of posts on FB and a "Check in safe" gadget on my newsfeed. The Landing has seen several shootings over the years. It has become a hangout for "ethnic" teens except before Jaguars games. The person who shot the others was participating in a gaming tournament --Madden Football(!), and started shooting. Details sketchy. It is top headline at Drudge and is the news if the day. My question is: why this sudden news feeding frenzy when 75 were shot in Chi-Town two weekends ago and the media yawned? :coffeenpc:

Edited by Big Dave

Ladybird

Aren't mass shooting usually big news?

Big Dave

Two were shot at a football game Friday night here and that barely generated a headline. Maybe we need to look at what makes a mass shooting.

Moderator T

Its all over the front page of Drudge, CNN, and Fox News at the least. How much bigger of a story do you want it to be? Its being thoroughly covered.

Ladybird

Two were shot at a football game Friday night here and that barely generated a headline. Maybe we need to look at what makes a mass shooting.

There's 4 dead and 15 injured. That's a big story.

Ladybird

Its all over the front page of Drudge, CNN, and Fox News at the least. How much bigger of a story do you want it to be? Its being thoroughly covered.

I was questioning why BigDave thinks it's getting more coverage then is warranted.

Big Dave

I was questioning why BigDave thinks it's getting more coverage then is warranted.

Again, there were 75 shot in Chicago two weekends ago and that barely caused a blip. It's not a national story really, and it has already been polticized. The Bishop of my denomination has already put out a letter calling for gun control. It is a national issue because someone is pushing it as a national story and it's not.

Ladybird

Again, there were 75 shot in Chicago two weekends ago and that barely caused a blip. It's not a national story really, and it has already been polticized. The Bishop of my denomination has already put out a letter calling for gun control. It is a national issue because someone is pushing it as a national story and it's not.

I understand the media ignores murders in the ghetto, but did all of those people in Chicago get shot in one place? No. This is still an abnormal thing, thank goodness.

Edited by Ladybird

searcher

Heck, in Chicago it would only be news if only a few got shot over a weekend. Shooting is pretty much expected if not approved there any more.

Mark

zurg

I’ll go a level higher from Big Dave and ask, in this internet era, can’t we (people, business, individuals) wrest some of the control away from those who get to decide what are “national stories”....? They still have control....

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

There's 4 dead and 15 injured. That's a big story.

That's still not even an average weekend night in Chicago?

But then again, wasn't the name of the place of this shooting "Chicagos"?

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

E Van der Vliet

I got an alert right away. This will be a story the media pushes with the anti gun rhetoric and video game culture thrown in.

When the real culprit is most likely anti depressant drugs involved yet again.

Big Dave

I’ll go a level higher from Big Dave and ask, in this internet era, can’t we (people, business, individuals) wrest some of the control away from those who get to decide what are “national stories”....? They still have control....

That is the question, and I would say we no longer have the control. This went "Full Foucault" immediately and I am wondering why that is? Who decides the story in Jacksonville gets traction and the one in Chicago just crickets?

zurg

That is the question, and I would say we no longer have the control. This went "Full Foucault" immediately and I am wondering why that is? Who decides the story in Jacksonville gets traction and the one in Chicago just crickets?

Fake news agenda.

Kilmerfan

Watch this suddenly disappear from national news ....

Ayuppp! "Yes"

oki

I got an alert right away. This will be a story the media pushes with the anti gun rhetoric and video game culture thrown in.

When the real culprit is most likely anti depressant drugs involved yet again.

Exactly, the vultures in the media and Gun control groups will make up stories about the N.R.A. buying both Congress and Trump but don't say a damn thing about the Psychotropic drugs that are AS A RULE in the shooters pill boxes. Then again, why would they? It's not like Pharmaceuticals don't spend BILLIONS advertising in both print and TV, and know more and more online even. Better to chase a made up boogeyman then actually seek the truth. It sells better.

Oki

oki

Watch this suddenly disappear from national news ....

It will get the same level of reporting and scrutiny that prescription meds have.

Oki

Ladybird

I hate this trend of referring to everyone who disagrees with a point of view as "tards".

If Katz name was Abdul, how many would be blaming, what they assume is his religion, for his actions?

Edited by Ladybird

Kilmerfan

I hate this trend of referring to everyone who disagrees with a point of view as "tards".

If Katz name was Abdul, how many would be blaming, what they assume is his religion, for his actions?

I was thinking Dr. Katz.

oki

That is a fair enough question. But, let me ask you this. When terrible acts are committed in the name of religion, as a rule which religion is it?

Oki

Ladybird

That is a fair enough question. But, let me ask you this. When terrible acts are committed in the name of religion, as a rule which religion is it?

Oki

Lately Muslim. But how many are actually religiously inspired instead of the motivation being the myriad of reasons to explain murder and mass murder of non Muslims? His name was Abdul, check box A, if it's Abner, check box B.

oki

Lately Muslim. But how many are actually religiously inspired instead of the motivation being the myriad of reasons to explain murder and mass murder of non Muslims? His name was Abdul, check box A, if it's Abner, check box B.

So are you telling that when someone is attacked for their religion it is the same as if the person was committing vile acts in the name of religion?

If someone is screaming Our Father who are in Heaven, or maybe Jesus be with me I could see it. Then again what's more common, someone opening fire in the name of Jesus at a Mosque or someone in the name of Mohamed flying airplanes into skyscrapers, suicide bombing at a crowded market, obtaining a truck and mowing people down, opening fire at a night club. I can see where you are going, but 9 times out of 10 when a Muslim is a victim of some P.O.S. hater that hater is not doing it the name of what ever religion they believe in. A hate crime non the less, but rarely is the motivation due to the attackers religious views.

Oki