To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Vandervecken

Hey, if anyone's interested, Babylon 5 is on Comet tv

Rate this topic

Vandervecken

They're up to season 1, ep 3 tonight, so it's early going. As no doubt most of you know, you can stream it for free on Comet, in case the channel itself isn't on your system.

My favorite line? Probably G'Kar saying "Oh yes, but I would much rather see YOU dead!" to Londo asking him if he wanted to live, when they were trapped in an elevator with a fire getting ready to cook them inside it. Although Sheridan saying "It's a great bit!" to Londo about the Rebo and Zooty show's "zooty zoot zoot!" with funny leg thing comes damn close.

https://www.comettv.com/show-details/Babylon+5/183884/

Howsithangin

Loved that show, thanks!

Moderator T

Believe it or not I still have it on DVD. Most of the movies too.

Anything Londo and G'Kar is great. Both actors had incredible chemistry together.

Italian Biker

Boxleitner and Doyle, both conservatives. Doyle had a radio show for a while. I actually worked with a person whose name was Sinclair Sheridan.

Severian

Not many fishies, left in the sea, not many fishies, just Londo and me.

Londo: You have to help us escape!

G'Kar: As the Earther's say, Up yours buddy!

The two actors were very close, and it showed in their performances. As for Katsulas, the amount of expressiveness he managed despite having most of his face covered in rubber prosthetic makeup was astounding.

I like the show because people (including aliens) behaved like people, that is they had their flaws, weaknesses, and demons, they weren't perfect. In ST:TNG cripes, a character had to be possessed by an alien to have a bad hair day. In B5, the doctor was addicted to uppers, the security chief was an alcoholic, etc. Same for the remake of Battlestar Galactica, XO was a drunk (not an alcoholic, he didn't have to go to the meetings), Adama and his son were estranged, lots of believable personal issues.

The best scifi is not about tech, it's about people and how our usual weaknesses and foibles play out with different opportunities provided by technology.

Vandervecken

Not many fishies, left in the sea, not many fishies, just Londo and me.

Londo: You have to help us escape!

G'Kar: As the Earther's say, Up yours buddy!

The two actors were very close, and it showed in their performances. As for Katsulas, the amount of expressiveness he managed despite having most of his face covered in rubber prosthetic makeup was astounding.

I like the show because people (including aliens) behaved like people, that is they had their flaws, weaknesses, and demons, they weren't perfect. In ST:TNG cripes, a character had to be possessed by an alien to have a bad hair day. In B5, the doctor was addicted to uppers, the security chief was an alcoholic, etc. Same for the remake of Battlestar Galactica, XO was a drunk (not an alcoholic, he didn't have to go to the meetings), Adama and his son were estranged, lots of believable personal issues.

The best scifi is not about tech, it's about people and how our usual weaknesses and foibles play out with different opportunities provided by technology.

You are so right about G'Kar/Katsulas. His character arc was pretty astounding, too. I mean he goes from about 1/2 villain to sympathetic but pitiable ambassador of a beaten people (who, though, lest anyone forget STARTED their most recent conflict with the Centauri), to freedom fighter/leader/intriguer, to Enlightened One. And Katsualas does it all.

Also, just going to have to say: Patricia Tallman, yum.

And let's not forget Mira Furlan (sometimes heartbreaking and wow what chemistry with Boxleitner!), Stephen Furst (brilliant and alas gone too), William Mummy (excellent), and the absolutely marvelous Ed Wasser as Mr. Morden!

gravelrash

Comet TV is a gem. Babylon 5 is a great series. As Severian noted, the characters are complex. The story is consistent and builds a universe. I am DVR'ing the series as Comet is running the entire series daily. Was The Gathering the pilot episode or did it air at the end of Season 1 as a recap / epilogue?

MontyPython

Which was the one with Ben Cartwright?

:shrug:

Vandervecken

Which was the one with Ben Cartwright?

It took me 5 minutes to figure this out. Blame it on last nights bloody marys (oops no supreme court for me!).

gravelrash, the movie was the First One. Get it? see what I did there?

zurg

It took me 5 minutes to figure this out. Blame it on last nights bloody marys (oops no supreme court for me!).

Smooth....

Severian

Comet TV is a gem. Babylon 5 is a great series. As Severian noted, the characters are complex. The story is consistent and builds a universe. I am DVR'ing the series as Comet is running the entire series daily. Was The Gathering the pilot episode or did it air at the end of Season 1 as a recap / epilogue?

In case anyone is interested in seeing it at your beck and call with no commercials, the whole B5 series is on Amazon Prime Video.

I think, Monty, you mean the original Battlestar Galactica, which sucked rocks. The remake is amazingly good. When I first saw they were remaking it, my reaction was, aw crap, why waste time remaking that corny bit of schlock. Then in the preview I saw an officer holding a whole handful of dog tags, walking past row after row of body bags on the flight deck, and thought, maybe this has potential.

MontyPython

You still didn't answer! I assure you I wasn't trying to be funny or snide or sarcastic. I honestly don't know which one had Lorne Greene (i.e. Ben Cartwright.) I've never been into any of those sci-fi movies or TV shows.

Oh oops, I just noticed this:

I think, Monty, you mean the original Battlestar Galactica, which sucked rocks. The remake is amazingly good. When I first saw they were remaking it, my reaction was, aw crap, why waste time remaking that corny bit of schlock. Then in the preview I saw an officer holding a whole handful of dog tags, walking past row after row of body bags on the flight deck, and thought, maybe this has potential.

OK thanks. I knew one of them had Ben Cartwright in it, but I had no idea which one. To me they're all pretty much the same.

Now don't get indignant, LOL. It's like how my father never could tell the difference between the Beatles & the Stones & the Kinks & the Yardbirds & Herman's Hermits, etc etc etc. To him they all looked and sounded pretty much the same. It wasn't because he was a "stupid" man, it was merely because he had no interest in the genre. He was into cowboy music. And so it is with me and sci-fi TV shows & movies: I'm just not interested enough to tell them apart.

Vandervecken

You still didn't answer! I assure you I wasn't trying to be funny or snide or sarcastic. I honestly don't know which one had Lorne Greene (i.e. Ben Cartwright.) I've never been into any of those sci-fi movies or TV shows.

Oh oops, I just noticed this:

OK thanks. I knew one of them had Ben Cartwright in it, but I had no idea which one. To me they're all pretty much the same.

Now don't get indignant, LOL. It's like how my father never could tell the difference between the Beatles & the Stones & the Kinks & the Yardbirds & Herman's Hermits, etc etc etc. To him they all looked and sounded pretty much the same. It wasn't because he was a "stupid" man, it was merely because he had no interest in the genre. He was into cowboy music. And so it is with me and sci-fi TV shows & movies: I'm just not interested enough to tell them apart.

To be honest, MP, this is even funnier.

MontyPython

To be honest, MP, this is even funnier.

:D

Severian

The remake was great, they covered a lot of controversial things. Like in one episode, the doctor aboard the Galactica was performing abortions. The female president was pro-abortion, but she had to make a deal with religious types to make sure she had a quorum in the government to make it illegal. And, even she, and the other pro-abortion people, had to wrestle with the fact that how does abortion make sense when you have about 48,000 people left, total, in the universe.

One episode dealt with "enhanced" interrogation. One dealt with the same issue that post 9/11 the US faced as to whether or not to shoot down an airliner if it did not respond to radio calls, in this case they shot and destroyed a space liner with over 1300 people on it. Very topical, very thought provoking.

Every show, they showed in the title credits the number of people left, and it kept going down.

Novaprime

The Gathering was the pilot. The first episode occurs about 1 year after the pilot. I have the whole series in VHS and DVD plus the movies on DVD and even bought Crusade (not as good but killed before it had a chance), and a special set called the Lost Tales.

I did like how they cleaned up the looks on some of the aliens, especially the Minbari and the Narn.

Severian

Two really annoying things about Comet. One, at least on the streaming version I watch, the video quality ranges from meh to awful. SD at best. Second, ye gods, on the streaming one, the ads. They don't seem to have many ad buyers, so they show each god awful, amateurish ad for whatever, over and over and over and over and over and over. I've seen the same short, earworm awful ad at least 8 times in a row during one commercial break, then again the next break! :hairpull:

They used to show the old The Outer Limits at 1 am, but after going thru all of them three times they seem to have stopped. Love the old shows.

I caught a few minutes of Space: 1999 the other night, man, that made the original Battlestar Galactica look like Blade Runner. Poor Martin Landau, he was better than that. His part in the old The Outer Limits episode, The Man Who Was Never Born, was amazing, he did an incredible job in an incredible episode.

ETA: After watching Comet, I am now ready to shoot that rat bastard from the My Pillow Dot Com commercials on sight if I ever run into him.

Edited by Severian

Vandervecken

Two really annoying things about Comet. One, at least on the streaming version I watch, the video quality ranges from meh to awful. SD at best. Second, ye gods, on the streaming one, the ads. They don't seem to have many ad buyers, so they show each god awful, amateurish ad for whatever, over and over and over and over and over and over. I've seen the same short, earworm awful ad at least 8 times in a row during one commercial break, then again the next break! :hairpull:

They used to show the old The Outer Limits at 1 am, but after going thru all of them three times they seem to have stopped. Love the old shows.

I caught a few minutes of Space: 1999 the other night, man, that made the original Battlestar Galactica look like Blade Runner. Poor Martin Landau, he was better than that. His part in the old The Outer Limits episode, The Man Who Was Never Born, was amazing, he did an incredible job in an incredible episode.

ETA: After watching Comet, I am now ready to shoot that rat bastard from the My Pillow Dot Com commercials on sight if I ever run into him.

I think all the old Outer Limits are on youtube. How an old show like that is rendered can't mean that much to a video maven (which I am not, but I guess you are).

Anyone remember Space: Above and Beyond from the 90s? You can see that that show had a lot of influence on the BSG reboot.

Severian

I remember Space: Above And Beyond, have the DVDs, also the DVDs of The Outer Limits. Believe me, it looks better than you imagine, though it does let you see the special effects seams so to speak, still and all, for the time in which they did the show the effects, direction, photography/cinematography, and stories are amazing. And very much a product of the early 60's fears, nuclear war, Communist infiltration, surveillance gone amok, technology getting out of hand. The camera work in many of the episodes is highly artistic and based on a lot of the experimental film stuff going on, especially in Germany, at the time. One of my fave episodes is The Forms Of Things Unknown. Rooms full of ticking analog clocks still make me uncomfortable.

I loved Space: Above And Beyond, some amazing story lines, and damn man, even the Xmas one with a so called "happy ending" was pretty bleak. And having Gunny in it as the DI was perfect. "In space, no one can hear you scream, unless it's the scream of a Space Marine! Do you ladies understand me?"

Italian Biker

I think all the old Outer Limits are on youtube. How an old show like that is rendered can't mean that much to a video maven (which I am not, but I guess you are).

Anyone remember Space: Above and Beyond from the 90s? You can see that that show had a lot of influence on the BSG reboot.

I remember Space above and Beyond but can't remember much about it. I also remember Earth 2, and then it was on Netflix for a while I watched that entire series.

DrinkMoreWorryLess

Loved this show. I was always intrigued by Psi-corps character, Talia Winters. If I recall correctly telepaths were used in all negotiations to see if people where not being truthful. Image if we had such a thing in reality.

MontyPython

Loved this show. I was always intrigued by Psi-corps character, Talia Winters. If I recall correctly telepaths were used in all negotiations to see if people where not being truthful. Image if we had such a thing in reality.

Hi DMWL, and welcome to RN. I haven't seen anybody else welcome you yet, so maybe I'm the first.

Let me explain something - Here at RN we have a couple of mindless trolls with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder. No matter how often they get banned, they just keep coming back under new usernames. And therefore whenever a new poster starts posting here, many of us are reluctant to toss out friendly welcome posts, in case it's just the latest re-appearance of one of those @$$holes.

But when I saw you resurrect that ten-year-old thread in the "Insane Leftist Discussion Forums", it convinced me you really are new around here. So welcome! Hope you find RN worthwhile enough to stick around for a while.

:welcome:

Moderator T

Talia was cool as was Lyta, the other main Psi-Corp character on the show. Too bad Talia met a pretty rough end, although I would have enjoyed a spin off of Lyta's role in the Telepath Wars that happened after the series.

Severian

I have the DVDs of the original The Outer Limits, don't let the age of the show fool you. It looks very good on a good digital transfer, the show was far ahead of its time with respect to photography, and used a lot of avant garde cinematography techniques pioneered by various German and other art film schools. You can see the defects in the special effects but that doesn't spoil it for me, the whole show was so well done and out there for the time. I truly appreciate it.