To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Gertie Keddle

‘Make them scared’ website posts uncorroborated sexual assault claims

Rate this topic

Gertie Keddle

‘Make them scared’ website posts uncorroborated sexual assault claims against male students

Daniel Payne - Assistant Editor October 5, 2018

College Fix

Excerpt:

A website allegedly run by University of Washington students allows individuals to publicly accuse people of sexual assault with no evidence.

The website, titled “Make them scared UW,” was first registered in November of last year but reportedly launched in late September of this year by University of Washington students, the Daily UW campus newspaper reports.

It appears that the list of accused rapists and sexual assault perpetrators has grown substantially on the site in recent weeks in the wake of the rape claims made against U.S. Supreme Court justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Meanwhile, one student named on “Make them scared UW” told The College Fix that the allegation is false, that the University of Washington has dismissed the allegations against him as completely uncorroborated and cleared him of any wrongdoing.

Thus far, every person named on the list is male, and their names include the school they attend. Many listed on the site appear to be University of Washington students, but as apparent word of this site has spread, students from many other colleges are now listed, too.

The site does not employ any mechanisms to verify the truth of any accusations it publishes, and the website’s moderators attempt to protect themselves from liability or criticism by stating atop the list of the accused: “Please remember, just because a name is on this list does not mean the individual is guilty. All it means is that we have received an accusation against them.”

Article

DJGoody

Please remind me, who are the Fascists?

MontyPython

I hereby officially accuse the "Make Them Scared" site creators and owners and monitors of all gang-raping my grandchildren.

Every.Single.One.Of.Them.

<_<

Magic Rat
Meanwhile, one student named on “Make them scared UW” told The College Fix that the allegation is false, that the University of Washington has dismissed the allegations against him as completely uncorroborated and cleared him of any wrongdoing.

What the hell is the UW doing making or dismissing allegations in the first place?

Ticked@TinselTown
The site does not employ any mechanisms to verify the truth of any accusations it publishes, and the website’s moderators attempt to protect themselves from liability or criticism by stating atop the list of the accused: “Please remember, just because a name is on this list does not mean the individual is guilty. All it means is that we have received an accusation against them.”

Sounds like mega lawsuit in the offing, not only for those who have the site as well as those who level false accusations.

Gertie Keddle

From the website:

But what about innocent until proven guilty? What about false accusations? What about innocent people’s lives being ruined?

This is going to be a rare case where a question is addressed as an ‘I’ instead of a ‘we,’ as this answer is, at its core, a matter of personal beliefs and values, and I don’t want to speak for all of the moderators.

Since I started this site, these are probably the questions I’ve received the most, and they are absolutely fair and warranted. I’ve struggled to answer them because I feel like it’s incredibly difficult and/or pointless to try to persuade someone in this matter when they’ve already chosen a side. I’ve chosen my side. I'm sure you have, too. You're not reading this to be convinced. You're either reading this to understand the reasoning of someone who would do something so reckless, so drastic, with so much potential for collateral damage, or because you agree with me. I also feel like there are so many people out there with more life experience than me who have been saying what I feel in more articulate ways than I could ever hope to. Most people already know the statistics about false reports. Basically, they’re very, very rare. In an anonymous system? Probably markedly less rare. In any system where an accuser has to attach their name to the accusation? We’re back to very rare. And our accusers have attached their names to their accusations for us to see. In exchange for their trust, we're here to take all the backlash they'd encounter if they went public with their names.

The truth is, there’s no way to win when it comes to sexual assault. Whether an accusation is true or false, people are going to hate the accuser for potentially being a liar. People are going to hate the accused for potentially being a perpetrator of sexual assault. For some reason, the scales usually tilt toward hating the accuser. I guess, when it comes down to it, if the two options are A) defending someone who actually did commit sexual assault or
B)
believing a liar who had some ulterior motive for tricking me into believing their accusation was real, I’d choose option B. Not all people will agree with me and I understand and respect that. I’m not trying to push a political agenda or change anyone’s mind. I made this site for one reason: to give survivors a voice, and to make it known to attackers that they can’t keep getting away with this, that there is some entity out there, if not our legal system, if not our universities' administrations, that will hold them accountable for their actions. I could continue trying to come up with the perfect answer to this question for the rest of my life, but for now, this is my answer.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Well, it's time to "make them sued" for false accusations, libel and slander.

RedSoloCup

Karma works in mysterious ways. Let these fascists find out....

MontyPython

From the website:

But what about innocent until proven guilty? What about false accusations? What about innocent people’s lives being ruined?

This is going to be a rare case where a question is addressed as an ‘I’ instead of a ‘we,’ as this answer is, at its core, a matter of personal beliefs and values, and I don’t want to speak for all of the moderators.

Since I started this site, these are probably the questions I’ve received the most, and they are absolutely fair and warranted. I’ve struggled to answer them because I feel like it’s incredibly difficult and/or pointless to try to persuade someone in this matter when they’ve already chosen a side. I’ve chosen my side. I'm sure you have, too. You're not reading this to be convinced. You're either reading this to understand the reasoning of someone who would do something so reckless, so drastic, with so much potential for collateral damage, or because you agree with me. I also feel like there are so many people out there with more life experience than me who have been saying what I feel in more articulate ways than I could ever hope to. Most people already know the statistics about false reports. Basically, they’re very, very rare. In an anonymous system? Probably markedly less rare. In any system where an accuser has to attach their name to the accusation? We’re back to very rare. And our accusers have attached their names to their accusations for us to see. In exchange for their trust, we're here to take all the backlash they'd encounter if they went public with their names.

The truth is, there’s no way to win when it comes to sexual assault. Whether an accusation is true or false, people are going to hate the accuser for potentially being a liar. People are going to hate the accused for potentially being a perpetrator of sexual assault. For some reason, the scales usually tilt toward hating the accuser. I guess, when it comes down to it, if the two options are A) defending someone who actually did commit sexual assault or
B)
believing a liar who had some ulterior motive for tricking me into believing their accusation was real, I’d choose option B. Not all people will agree with me and I understand and respect that. I’m not trying to push a political agenda or change anyone’s mind. I made this site for one reason: to give survivors a voice, and to make it known to attackers that they can’t keep getting away with this, that there is some entity out there, if not our legal system, if not our universities' administrations, that will hold them accountable for their actions. I could continue trying to come up with the perfect answer to this question for the rest of my life, but for now, this is my answer.

Two passages from the above article caught my special attention. First:

"Most people already know the statistics about false reports. Basically, they’re very, very rare. In an anonymous system? Probably markedly less rare. In any system where an accuser has to attach their name to the accusation? We’re back to very rare. And our accusers have attached their names to their accusations for us to see. In exchange for their trust, we're here to take all the backlash they'd encounter if they went public with their names."

Right off the bat I can't agree with the assertion false reports are "rare" (let alone "very very rare"). But even if, for the sake of argument, we take that as a given, the author admits that in an anonymous system it's "probably" markedly less rare. But then he tries to make it sound like this site "isn't" the same as anonymous reporting! Why? Because the accuser is known to the people at the site. But by the very existence of the site those people have already proven themselves biased in the accuser's favor. Sorry idiot - If the only people who get to know the accuser's identity are the people who are automatically biased in her favor, and nobody else (including the accused) gets to know, IT'S AN ANONYMOUS ACCUSATION. And you, yourself, have already openly admitted that in an anonymous system false reports are markedly less rare.

And second:

"I guess, when it comes down to it, if the two options are A) defending someone who actually did commit sexual assault or B ) believing a liar who had some ulterior motive for tricking me into believing their accusation was real, I’d choose option B"

That tells me a lot more about you than you apparently realize, none of it good.

<_<

searcher

Two passages from the above article caught my special attention. First:

"Most people already know the statistics about false reports. Basically, they’re very, very rare. In an anonymous system? Probably markedly less rare. In any system where an accuser has to attach their name to the accusation? We’re back to very rare. And our accusers have attached their names to their accusations for us to see. In exchange for their trust, we're here to take all the backlash they'd encounter if they went public with their names."

Right off the bat I can't agree with the assertion false reports are "rare" (let alone "very very rare"). But even if, for the sake of argument, we take that as a given, the author admits that in an anonymous system it's "probably" markedly less rare. But then he tries to make it sound like this site "isn't" the same as anonymous reporting! Why? Because the accuser is known to the people at the site. But by the very existence of the site those people have already proven themselves biased in the accuser's favor. Sorry idiot - If the only people who get to know the accuser's identity are the people who are automatically biased in her favor, and nobody else (including the accused) gets to know, IT'S AN ANONYMOUS ACCUSATION. And you, yourself, have already openly admitted that in an anonymous system false reports are markedly less rare.

And second:

"I guess, when it comes down to it, if the two options are A) defending someone who actually did commit sexual assault or B ) believing a liar who had some ulterior motive for tricking me into believing their accusation was real, I’d choose option B"

That tells me a lot more about you than you apparently realize, none of it good.

<_<

Do we live in a great state or what? :hairpull:

Mark

MontyPython

Do we live in a great state or what? :hairpull:

Mark

LOL

Sometimes I love this state. Beautiful scenery, beautiful mountains & forests & rivers & lakes & coastlines. Always plenty of outdoor activity options. And great seafood! And some really good micro-brews, LOL. Plus one of the first states to finally legalize marijuana (although I wish they had done it way back when I still smoked it, LOL.) All-in-all, there are lots of things to love about WA state.

But when it comes to politics?

:hairpull: Aaarrrggghhh!!! :hairpull:

searcher

LOL

Sometimes I love this state. Beautiful scenery, beautiful mountains & forests & rivers & lakes & coastlines. Always plenty of outdoor activity options. And great seafood! And some really good micro-brews, LOL. Plus one of the first states to finally legalize marijuana (although I wish they had done it way back when I still smoked it, LOL.) All-in-all, there are lots of things to love about WA state.

But when it comes to politics?

:hairpull: Aaarrrggghhh!!! :hairpull:

All of the above.

Howsithangin

Well, it's time to "make them sued" for false accusations, libel and slander.

Precisely. Sue for 7 figures, both the accuser and the ppl who run the website as aiding and abetting. Then move on to UW as creating a hostile educational atmosphere

AnnieGotHerGun

Just wait till someone accuses one or more moderators of this site. Either true or not evidently doesn't matter.

This is lunacy.