To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Woman charged in crash that killed 3 siblings who were waiting for bus

Rate this topic

Ladybird

Woman charged in crash that killed 3 siblings who were waiting for bus

POSTED 8:19 AM, OCTOBER 30, 2018, BY SEAN LEWIS, UPDATED AT 09:16PM, OCTOBER 30, 2018

ROCHESTER, Ind. – The driver in a fatal crash that killed three children from the same family and injured a fourth boy has been charged.

Alyssa Shepherd, 24, of Rochester, was charged with reckless homicide and passing a school bus, authorities said.

Six-year-old twin boys, Xzavier and Mason Ingle, and their sister Alivia Stahl, 9, were hit while boarding the school bus near 4600 N. State Road 25 in Rochester, Ind.

Maverik Lowe, 11, survived the accident but was seriously injured. He was airlifted to a Fort Wayne hospital. Police said he suffered broken bones but was conscious. He was expected to undergo surgery Tuesday afternoon.

Shepard was driving the pickup truck in the opposite direction when it struck the students. Police said the "stop" arm on the bus was out at the time.

<snip>

Link

If this woman ignored the school bus warning, I hope she does some serious time. I can't imagine what this family is going through. This is clearly her fault, but if daylight savings time wasn't pushed back to end in November, little kids would not be standing in the pitch black morning waiting for a school bus.

Maybe school should start later.

grimreefer
:(

LongKnife

If this woman ignored the school bus warning, I hope she does some serious time. I can't imagine what this family is going through. This is clearly her fault, but if daylight savings time wasn't pushed back to end in November, little kids would not be standing in the pitch black morning waiting for a school bus.

Maybe school should start later.

She should get some serious time, I agree. It's hard to not see a school bus when it's lit up like a giant Christmas tree and STOP sign sticking out from the side.

This woman apparently thought that her getting to where she was going was more important than waiting a few minutes for the bus to move. This kind of thing, as tragic as it is, rarely happens and changing the school start time also changes the ending time which can create hardships for working parents with busy schedules.

Ladybird

She should get some serious time, I agree. It's hard to not see a school bus when it's lit up like a giant Christmas tree and STOP sign sticking out from the side.

This woman apparently thought that her getting to where she was going was more important than waiting a few minutes for the bus to move. This kind of thing, as tragic as it is, rarely happens and changing the school start time also changes the ending time which can create hardships for working parents with busy schedules.

I was thinking just for the week or two that the kids are standing in the darkness, especially in rural areas. By Monday it will be light by 7.

oki

I was thinking just for the week or two that the kids are standing in the darkness, especially in rural areas. By Monday it will be light by 7.

Then you have school ending later, which creates a problem in and by itself. Plus, here it starts getting dark around 4:30 after daylight savings time. Schools would end at 4 P.M. and kids would be getting dropped off as the sun is going down.

My son takes the bus and has to cross the street, so far no one was done something like this crap but I am always vigilant. I will get in the street and take a hit if it means saving my son or stopping some idiot.

Oki

Dean Adam Smithee

I'd like to more about the circumstances. Especially, how long had the arm been out and the red lights flashing? And the yellow lights flashing before that?

Yes, there are SOME drivers that blatantly ignore the "stop" arm and the red lights. In these cases, throw the book at them.

A HUGE pet peeve of mine is that, at least in the Atlanta area, there's no "consistency" to this.

For Traffic lights there actually IS a standard, developed by the Institute of Transportation Engineers and adopted by many locales. It depends on the speed limit:

Recommended Yellow Light Times

Three seconds should be the absolute minimum time for any intersection.

25 MPH -- 3.0 Seconds

30 MPH -- 3.5 Seconds

35 MPH -- 4.0 Seconds

40 MPH -- 4.5 Seconds

45 MPH -- 5.0 Seconds

50 MPH -- 5.5 Seconds

55 MPH -- 6.0 Seconds

There NEEDS to be a similar standard for School buses, with both a minimum and maximum yellow-light times.

In the Atlanta area, Many - if not MOST - bus drivers are 'reasonable' and reasonably close to the traffic light standards. But I've also seen buses with the yellow flashing lights ALWAYS on, even driving down the road at regular speed. I've seen buses 'parked' beside the road with their flashing yellow lights on. I've seen bus drivers stop at a vacant bus stops and then sit there for several minutes with the yellow lights flashing, waiting for kids to approach before putting the stop arm out and the turning the flashing red lights on... but I've also seen the opposite extreme with the driver going to red lights instantly after the yellow lights.

tailgunner

Then you have school ending later, which creates a problem in and by itself. Plus, here it starts getting dark around 4:30 after daylight savings time. Schools would end at 4 P.M. and kids would be getting dropped off as the sun is going down.

My son takes the bus and has to cross the street, so far no one was done something like this crap but I am always vigilant. I will get in the street and take a hit if it means saving my son or stopping some idiot.

Oki

We change the orbit of the earth, keeping us in summer daylight or more the schools to Australia in the fall to spring.

Ladybird

Oki

Some of the school districts here have the buses extend the routes so they can turn around, then no one crosses the street. The bus that picks up my sisters kids actually stops at each house.

oki

We change the orbit of the earth, keeping us in summer daylight or more the schools to Australia in the fall to spring.

Shouldn't be to hard to do, after all if we are responsible for climate change certainly we have the power to make the sun stay up longer...

Oki

oki

Some of the school districts here have the buses extend the routes so they can turn around, then no one crosses the street. The bus that picks up my sisters kids actually stops at each house.

So does our sons(but just on the opposite side of the street). That isn't always feasible because in some cases it could be a quite a ways until the bus has a spot to turn around, or it could mean having to cross busy intersections, steep hills, blind curves, the list goes on and on. Worse is the fact that in many cases the bus routes are on extremely busy rural roads that where never meant to handle a nearby sub division much less become major through fares. Largely farm access roads when they where put in and know the only way in and out to an entire sub division, strip malls etc.

Oki

MontyPython

I have a hard time believing anybody doesn't notice a school bus. No matter what time of day, no matter how dark it might be, no matter the weather conditions, no matter whether or not the bus' lights are flashing, etc, how do you "not notice" a great big, bright yellow, noisy, slow-moving (or even stopped) vehicle in the same road you're on?? If you're neither legally blind nor roaring drunk, you can't possibly miss it. And of course if you are legally blind or roaring drunk, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

B)

oki

I have a hard time believing anybody doesn't notice a school bus. No matter what time of day, no matter how dark it might be, no matter the weather conditions, no matter whether or not the bus' lights are flashing, etc, how do you "not notice" a great big, bright yellow, noisy, slow-moving (or even stopped) vehicle in the same road you're on?? If you're neither legally blind nor roaring drunk, you can't possibly miss it. And of course if you are legally blind or roaring drunk, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

B)

Plus, many also use aircraft grade strobe lights as well. I can guarantee you this dumb %$#@! saw it, she was just in to much of a hurry for anything else to matter. Wondering if she was text messaging.

Oki

Ladybird

B)

I don’t think it so much the drivers noticing pedestrians (this person was probably texting), but the kids ability to see a speeding pickup coming straight for them.

oki

Brought up the address on Google Maps... good visibility both ways. Even with the turns they are far enough away that it would give a person enough time to stop.

Oki

grimreefer

Plus, many also use aircraft grade strobe lights as well. I can guarantee you this dumb %$#@! saw it, she was just in to much of a hurry for anything else to matter. Wondering if she was text messaging.

Oki

My elderly female cousin was in the passenger seat when we were near a school bus early in the morning and that bright ass flashing white strobe light almost brought on a seizure. She closed her eyes tight and I had to stop the car to let it pass.

BootsieBets

I don’t know, people are stupid and/or selfish. I have had people honk their horns at me when I pull over for ambulances. I also have seen people impatiently try to beat the stop sign on school buses. Where ever they are going is apparently really important. Either this woman was a self-important millennial in a gawd awful hurry (as my mother would say) or was maybe texting/talking on her phone. Hope she has a lot of time to think about it while she does the prison laundry!

oki

My elderly female cousin was in the passenger seat when we were near a school bus early in the morning and that bright ass flashing white strobe light almost brought on a seizure. She closed her eyes tight and I had to stop the car to let it pass.

Although I understand the reasoning, it is a bit much. Here they have them on at night and it's damn near blinding, especially to those who have light sensitive eyes and can damn near see in the dark. Orange would be a better color and wouldn't be so damn blinding. Would also recomend dash cams for drivers, someone does something dangerous or illegal, you got it all on video and they get a nice ticket or summons in the mail.

That alone would put a stop to most of this sh$t. Side and rear cams probably not a bad idea either.

Cost? That would be paid for relatively quick by the idiots who do stupid sh$t around school buses.

Oki

Ladybird

Some of the newer police cars have those lights. At night it causes temporary blindness and a wicked headache.

Dean Adam Smithee

B)

Of course, EVERYBODY "notices" a school bus. In the Atlanta area they're known as "F###ing Yellow obstructions".

Around here, go into traffic at the "wrong" time? It's not a matter of getting stuck behind 2 or 3 buses... but behind 20 or 30 of them. I sh1t you not. Give me a few days, I'll post a video.

Atlanta traffic is bad as it is. Add to it the "F###ing Yellow obstructions". Especially when one of them stops on a 4-lane in front of an apartment complex and spends 10 minutes loading kids whilst blocking 4 lanes of traffic. (I could EASILY document this.)

LongKnife

Of course, EVERYBODY "notices" a school bus. In the Atlanta area they're known as "F###ing Yellow obstructions".

Around here, go into traffic at the "wrong" time? It's not a matter of getting stuck behind 2 or 3 buses... but behind 20 or 30 of them. I sh1t you not. Give me a few days, I'll post a video.

Atlanta traffic is bad as it is. Add to it the "F###ing Yellow obstructions". Especially when one of them stops on a 4-lane in front of an apartment complex and spends 10 minutes loading kids whilst blocking 4 lanes of traffic. (I could EASILY document this.)

What should the buses do instead? They have to drive on the roads, don't they? It sounds like you might have a better idea, but not clear what it is.

MontyPython

We call 'em "Rolling Roadblocks".

B)

oki

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/9-old-dies-hero-trying-163556236.html

Turns out the big sister tried to save her brothers.

B$tch didn't see it was a bus. IF YOU DON'T F'ng know what it is especially on a rural road where YOU KNOW school busses stop, you f'ng slow down or stop!!!! P.O.S. was speeding and not paying attention. The interview from the deceased kids uncle is gut wrenching.

Un f'ng believable. Solutions? Make examples of the people who do this crap and it will stop real quick. Start with a couple thousand dollar fine and license suspension. 2nd offense you lose your car and your license. Put some high quality dash cams in and it will stop overnight.

Oki

Edited by oki

Ladybird

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/9-old-dies-hero-trying-163556236.html

Turns out the big sister tried to save her brothers.

B$tch didn't see it was a bus. IF YOU DON'T F'ng know what it is especially on a rural road where YOU KNOW school busses stop, you f'ng slow down or stop!!!! P.O.S. was speeding and not paying attention. The interview from the deceased kids is gut wrenching.

Un f'ng believable. Solutions? Make examples of the people who do this crap and it will stop real quick. Start with a couple thousand dollar fine and license suspension. 2nd offense you lose your car and your license. Put some high quality dash cams in and it will stop overnight.

Oki

Of course she didn’t see it. She was likely looking at some gadget.

oki

Of course she didn’t see it. She was likely looking at some gadget.

More than likely. For what it's worth, the front of her truck looks more like she hit a deer, not four kids. Her I didn't know it was a bus b.s. doesn't fly. YOU CAN'T FREAKEN' MISTAKE A SCHOOL BUS FOR ANYTHING ELSE. Between the shape, color and lights it's impossible. At most the lights might make you think it's a different emergency vehicle, EITHER WAY it means slow down greatly or stop outright. She did neither.

I can guarantee you her Cell provider has already received a subpoena and has provided detailed logs from the time in question.

Anything other than her phone registering to a tower and sectors, or receiving an email or message WITHOUT BEING ACKNOWLEDGE or looked at and she is done.

Also pretty sure they will be able to recover vehicle speed at the time of the accident as well. Know it turns out she had her own kids in her truck.

Un f'ng real.

Oki