To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Woman charged in crash that killed 3 siblings who were waiting for bus

Rate this topic

Ladybird

Maybe it's just a coincidence but several children have been killed this week in the morning waiting or trying to cross to get to the bus.

School bus driver finds boy dead of hit-and-run at bus stop

https://www.abc27.com/news/state/school-bus-driver-finds-boy-dead-of-hit-and-run-at-bus-stop/1566618899

Truck hits, kills child getting on school bus

https://www.abc27.com/news/state/school-bus-driver-finds-boy-dead-of-hit-and-run-at-bus-stop/1566618899

5 children, 2 adults hit by car at bus stop in Tampa, Florida: Police

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/3-children-2-adults-hit-car-bus-stop-150503847--abc-news-topstories.html

Dean Adam Smithee

Of course, EVERYBODY "notices" a school bus. In the Atlanta area they're known as "F###ing Yellow obstructions".

Around here, go into traffic at the "wrong" time? It's not a matter of getting stuck behind 2 or 3 buses... but behind 20 or 30 of them. I sh1t you not. Give me a few days, I'll post a video.

Atlanta traffic is bad as it is. Add to it the "F###ing Yellow obstructions". Especially when one of them stops on a 4-lane in front of an apartment complex and spends 10 minutes loading kids whilst blocking 4 lanes of traffic. (I could EASILY document this.)

What should the buses do instead? They have to drive on the roads, don't they? It sounds like you might have a better idea, but not clear what it is.

That particular gripe was aimed more at Atlanta-area traffic than at school bus drivers. I've heard it said often enough, and I've run some numbers myself and I'm inclined to believe it: Every day there are 6 million commuters on Atlanta area roads... on a system designed to handle 1 million. It's already well past the breaking point. Buses in the mix aren't necessarily the problem themselves - elsewhere they'd be no big deal - but their visibility and ubiquitousness certainly puts a focus on the existing problem.

---------------------

THAT SAID: If I were in charge of such things, TWO things I would require:

#1 - Eliminate school bus stops on 'major' streets that are 4 lanes or wider. ESPECIALLY in front of subdivisions or apartment complexes where an ENTIRE busload of kids gets on at one stop. One in particular in Atlanta: An apartment complex on Roswell Rd (Buckhead area on the north side) just N of Franklin drive. SWEAR TO GOD: Bus stops, it shuts down all 4 lanes of Roswell Rd (2 lanes each direction) for a good 10 minutes sometimes while an ENTIRE busload of kids gets on or off. The kicker is, that bus would have plenty of room to pull into the apartment complex and then back out again rather than block the street.

#2 - (aimed mostly at the Atlanta 'burbs, especially upscale suburban eastern Cobb County N. of the I-285 beltway - so-called "East Cobb", lots of "new money" and i'm inclined to believe that the county was so-named for the namesake item that these people have stuck up their ass)(compare to Fairfax Co VA, Montg'y Co MD, Westchester Co NY, Bergen Co NJ, etc). If you're in a decent school district that HAS buses, then by golly USE those buses. I've inquired: Bus routes are designed with the presumption that everyone eligible to ride the bus WILL ride it. NOT around here. I've seen buses pull into and out of schools in East Cobb that are only 1/3 to 1/2 full. Meanwhile the streets in front of said schools are clogged with parents driving their snowflake to school because they're ohh-too-special to ride the bus. I should post a dashcam picture/video sometime: Overwhelming number of BMWs, Cadillac Escalades, Mercedes, etc. The kicker: the sheer number of Obama, Clinton, etc bumper stickers on such vehicles.

(I'd dearly love to go up to the next Soccer Mom with an M.R.S. degree** driving a BMW X5 with an Obama sticker and say: "You didn't EARN that." Except that maybe she did, on her back.)

** = M.R.S. degree = Women to go the the "right" college, not for the education, but to meet the "right man": The ones who can buy the East Cobb/Fairfax/Bergen/wherever McMansions and BMWs. YES, it's alive and well these day, though not as much as used to be. Full credit to those who have pulled themselves up by the bootstraps like most of us.

Censport
What should the buses do instead? They have to drive on the roads, don't they? It sounds like you might have a better idea, but not clear what it is.

Go back to neighborhood schools, only during daylight hours, and do away with this busing nonsense.