Owner closes Brooklyn cafe after white supremacy accusations

Rate this topic

Gertie Keddle

Owner closes Brooklyn cafe after white supremacy accusations

By Dean Balsamini

November 5, 2018

NY Post

Excerpt:

A Williamsburg cafe owner accused of being a white supremacist shuttered his restaurant because of “organized threats,” a report said.

The Sands Cafe on Grand Street went dark a day after blogger Colin Hagendorf tweeted that Guy Sands, 32, is a “Proud Boy” and “used to have an active alt-right twitter, but nuked it before opening this sh-tty restaurant.”

The tweet, which went viral, cited a Vanity Fair piece in July 2016 that reported Sands attended a 2016 party thrown by right-wing extremist Milo Yiannopoulos.

Sands, a registered Republican residing in Greenpoint, has denied the accusations.

“I do not associate or identify with these groups in any way,” Sands wrote in an email to Eater. “Sands welcomes everybody.”

Article

c'mon, you know Milo throws great parties.

Edited by Gertie Keddle

Kilmerfan

Mob rule very sad.

Tomorrow I will vote for jobs not mobs.

That_Guy

Wiliamsburg will be just fine without the Proud Boys Cafe - I wish this Sands character good luck running from his "contrarian" past.

To paraphrase my fellow Brooklynite Chris Rock, "If one guy thinks it's okay to hang with ten Nazis, then they just became eleven Nazis."

Junto

To paraphrase my fellow Brooklynite Chris Rock, "If one guy thinks it's okay to hang with ten Nazis, then they just became eleven Nazis."

You realize how flawed that logic is, right?

LongKnife

This is what they tried to do to Justice Kavanaugh, hoping he wouldn't be able to take it and just quit. The Salem witch hunters would be proud of the left in our country today.

Throw him in the water and see if he floats.

Tikk

You realize how flawed that logic is, right?

No. No he doesn't.

That_Guy
Gothamist spoke with Sands on Tuesday, hours after the rumor started attracting attention online. He said that he had occasionally spent time with the Proud Boys—a group of self-identified "western chauvinists" led by right-wing provocateur Gavin McInnes—but did not consider himself a member. In 2016, he accompanied the group on what he says was an "investigatory" trip to the Republican National Convention, where he attended Milo's party and told Vanity Fair he was a "contrarian."

Sands offered a similar description of his politics to Gothamist, noting that he is "very empathetic person" and "not afraid of ideas." He denied ever operating an alt-right Twitter account, and claimed to be a lifelong Democrat.

"I have no allegiance to any of those people," he said. "I've been a philosopher—I went to school for philosophy—and I'm really interested in ideas. I like to hear different opinions. I was very naive to think that I could hear other opinions that would not bring guilt by association."

He spent time with the Proud Boys, traveled to the RNC with them, and had or has an interest in their ideas and opinions - which is his choice. My fellow Brooklynites prefer not to spend our money at places owned by people who make choices like that.

Edited by That_Guy

Vandervecken

He spent time with the Proud Boys, traveled to the RNC with them, and had or has an interest in their ideas and opinions - which is his choice. My fellow Brooklynites prefer not to spend our money at places owned by people who make choices like that.

So a convicted murderer serves his time and, in old age, opens a café, and of course has to be driven out because he made "choices like that" (murder)--which is far worse than being in some group and not engaging in any criminal acts.

Wow, TG, I never knew you would be so tough on crime that you would deny any ability to earn a living to ex-cons, many of whom have made terrible and often evil choices in their pasts choices. I'm impressed, you're way tougher than I am on criminals!

Vandervecken

I can see you wearing a swastika armband and throwing rocks into Jewish shops, TG--easily.

That_Guy

So a convicted murderer serves his time and, in old age, opens a café, and of course has to be driven out because he made "choices like that" (murder)

He's served his debt to society and sufficiently demonstrated remorse?

All good.

Ladybird

If there threats to his safety he should report it to the police and take precautions. No one, however, is obligated to patronize his business.

LongKnife

All good.

On the other hand, if you've done nothing illegal and are on the receiving end of unsubstantiated accusations, shut down his business and ruin his life?

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

Wiliamsburg will be just fine without the Proud Boys Cafe - I wish this Sands character good luck running from his "contrarian" past.

What do people (democrat politicians) who hang out with Louis Farrakhan become then?

Buckwheat Jones

Yes, Sambo. And I’m sure chris rock goes around quoting you as well.

Btw, you know chris rock is an idiot, right?

E Van der Vliet

What do people (democrat politicians) who hang out with Louis Farrakhan become then?

Sanctified. ;)

That_Guy

On the other hand, if you've done nothing illegal and are on the receiving end of unsubstantiated accusations, shut down his business and ruin his life?

He shut it down all by himself.

Joe the Pagan

I don’t know what you mean by “glory,”’ Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. ‘Of course you don’t — till I tell you. I meant “there’s a nice knock-down argument for you!”’

‘But “glory” doesn’t mean “a nice knock-down argument,”’ Alice objected.

‘When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

‘The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

‘The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.’

If one guy thinks it's okay to hang out with an openly gay man married to a black man it makes him a nazi.

Big Dave

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

He shut it down all by himself.

Not willingly.

Be careful what you wish for.

It will come right back to you.

oki

And the next thing you will try and tell us is that in no way shape or form was or is an the D.N.C. of the K.K.K.

Oki

Censport

Sands:

I like to hear different opinions.

So you literally are intolerant of people who like to hear different opinions. What's going to happen to you when your fellow Brooklynites find out you hang with us and even financially contribute to our website? What will be your nuanced, parsed defense be when they accuse you of being the eleventh Nazi?

I can see you wearing a swastika armband and throwing rocks into Jewish shops, TG--easily.

He already is, without due process.

All good.

Problem with your collective mindset is that it is impossible to sufficiently demonstrate remorse for not being a Leftist. Murder? No problem. Skipped the Antifa protest to attend a party thrown by a gay man who is married to a black guy while allegedly being a Neo-Nazi? Has to wear a red elephant for life.

If one guy thinks it's okay to hang out with an openly gay man married to a black man it makes him a nazi.

Actual Nazis would have a problem with that idea. Leftists with their twisted logic and compartmentalized arguments? Makes perfect sense to them.

RedSoloCup

:yes:

zurg

It’s sad (if predictable) to see that That_Guy and Ladybird don’t have a problem with physical threats to someone because of their opinion. Not patronizing their business isn’t enough.

It’s what Muslim extremists do. They can’t tolerate a different opinion.

That_Guy

That_Guy and Ladybird don’t have a problem with physical threats to someone because of their opinion

Interesting take.

How do you figure?