RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Gertie Keddle

Owner closes Brooklyn cafe after white supremacy accusations

Rate this topic

zurg

Interesting take.

How do you figure?

Based on your own words. It’s too bad that you encourage violence against those who disagree with you.

AnnieGotHerGun

Wiliamsburg will be just fine without the Proud Boys Cafe - I wish this Sands character good luck running from his "contrarian" past.

To paraphrase my fellow Brooklynite Chris Rock, "If one guy thinks it's okay to hang with ten Nazis, then they just became eleven Nazis."

Do you know him? How do you know he has a contrarian past? Because someone said so in a tweet?

That_Guy

Do you know him? How do you know he has a contrarian past? Because someone said so in a tweet?

He went on the record:

Gothamist spoke with Sands on Tuesday, hours after the rumor started attracting attention online. He said that he had occasionally spent time with the Proud Boys—a group of self-identified "western chauvinists" led by right-wing provocateur Gavin McInnes—but did not consider himself a member. In 2016, he accompanied the group on what he says was an "investigatory" trip to the Republican National Convention, where he attended Milo's party and told Vanity Fair he was a "contrarian."

Sands offered a similar description of his politics to Gothamist, noting that he is "very empathetic person" and "not afraid of ideas." He denied ever operating an alt-right Twitter account, and claimed to be a lifelong Democrat.

"I have no allegiance to any of those people," he said. "I've been a philosopher—I went to school for philosophy—and I'm really interested in ideas. I like to hear different opinions. I was very naive to think that I could hear other opinions that would not bring guilt by association."

Ladybird

Its sad (if predictable) to see that That_Guy and Ladybird dont have a problem with physical threats to someone because of their opinion. Not patronizing their business isnt enough.

Its what Muslim extremists do. They cant tolerate a different opinion.

Quote where I said I advocated or "didn't have a problem" with violence against this restaurant or the owner.

Edited by Ladybird

JerryL

If there threats to his safety he should report it to the police and take precautions. No one, however, is obligated to patronize his business.

But you leftists are never satisfied with simply not patronizing the business in question. Your fellow-travelers always seem to feel the need to demonize and threaten establishments into submission and closure. You are incapable of simply letting people with differing view points, who are breaking no laws, live in peace with their differing viewpoints.

While I believe that you don't, personally, subscribe to or support that type of demonization and threats, the side you support does. In spades. All the time.

JerryL

He spent time with the Proud Boys, traveled to the RNC with them, and had or has an interest in their ideas and opinions - which is his choice. My fellow Brooklynites prefer not to spend our money at places owned by people who make choices like that.

Wow. No wonder you hate these guys so much that you feel the need to demonize them, call them racists and Nazis. I had never heard of these guys before, but I just read that their founder has denounced racism and states that that was never his focus in the first place. He commits the unforgivable sin of believing that "Western" culture and values are something to be proud of. He believes that cultural and generational victimhood is not a healthy or productive way of living ones life. No wonder the racist SPLC has deemed them a hate group.

Why can't they be more mainstream like the Nation of Islam and the Black Panthers?

That_Guy

Wow. No wonder you hate these guys so much that you feel the need to demonize them, call them racists and Nazis. I had never heard of these guys before, but I just read that their founder has denounced racism and states that that was never his focus in the first place. He commits the unforgivable sin of believing that "Western" culture and values are something to be proud of. He believes that cultural and generational victimhood is not a healthy or productive way of living ones life. No wonder the racist SPLC has deemed them a hate group.

Why can't they be more mainstream like the Nation of Islam and the Black Panthers?

Are you sure you want to stand up for the "what's wrong with hate/violence/fighting" boys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoI94Lw_34

Edited by That_Guy

JerryL

Are you sure you want to stand up for the "what's wrong with hate/violence/fighting" boys?

I didn't even know who he was until today. I told you what I found in a 5 minute search.

Not clicking on your link. If you have something you want to say, or highlight that he said, then go ahead and do so in your text and then add a link to your supporting document or video. Your rules.

That_Guy

I didn't even know who he was until today. I told you what I found in a 5 minute search.

You may want to spend a few more minutes getting to know this bag of douche before you defend him and his boys (again).

Junto

I reluctantly watched the video figuring some right-wing extremist was going to go on and on about topics or acts a bit on the grey side. Instead, what a great message this guy has - what exactly do you find wrong with his message? His message was universal, applying to every American, every color, etc.

JerryL

You may want to spend a few more minutes getting to know this bag of douche before you defend him and his boys (again).

So there is nothing that you care to quote to support your assertion that he is a "bag of douche?"

Don't. Your choice. I was really kind of curious if you could show if he was as big a racist as you, the Black Panthers, and the Nation of Islam.

JerryL

I reluctantly watched the video figuring some right-wing extremist was going to go on and on about topics or acts a bit on the grey side. Instead, what a great message this guy has - what exactly do you find wrong with his message? His message was universal, applying to every American, every color, etc.

Not going to watch it on principal, but that is pretty much what I figured.

"Western culture" has nothing to do with race or skin color and can lead to empowerment and success for anyone.

That_Guy

Not going to watch it on principal, but that is pretty much what I figured.

"Western culture" has nothing to do with race or skin color and can lead to empowerment and success for anyone.

It’s “principle” - and advocating hate-fueled violence has nothing to do with “western culture” or “empowerment.”

Edited by That_Guy

Junto

It’s “principle” - and advocating hate-fueled violence has nothing to do with “western culture” or “empowerment.”

You can't be that dense, can you? You are like a black hole of reasoning, where it can't escape you even when it's right in your face. He says he is NOT advocating fighting people, but fighting for what you believe in in all areas of life in all manners. Standing up for what you believe in is now anathema to you and your kind. Down is Up, and Up is Down.

Junto

In all honesty, I have not researched this guy T_G. He could be a horrible human being and all of his buddies are just evil. But only watching these two videos, I don't see a single thing wrong with what he is saying.

Ladybird

Just fyi.. Both the Nation of Islam and (The New) Black Panther Party are classified as hate groups by the SPLC.

USNRETWIFE

I can see you wearing a swastika armband and throwing rocks into Jewish shops, TG--easily.

Absolutely.

It's sad (if predictable) to see that That_Guy and Ladybird don't have a problem with physical threats to someone because of their opinion. Not patronizing their business isn't enough.

It's what Muslim extremists do. They can't tolerate a different opinion.

yeahthat.gif

JerryL

Wow, caught me in a typo. Here is a cookie.

So far, you have presented nothing to back that up and, as a proven liar, forgive me for not taking your word.

JerryL

Wow, caught me in a typo. Here is a cookie.

So far, you have presented nothing to back that up and, as a proven liar, forgive me for not taking your word.

Thanks for that. Another thing I was not aware of. Looking at their map, can't be too many groups that they don't label as hate groups. I guess that is what comes from the idea that someone being offended is a crime against humanity.

I see no comment on how your side isn't satisfied with simply not patronizing a business they disagree with.

Ladybird

Thanks for that. Another thing I was not aware of. Looking at their map, can't be too many groups that they don't label as hate groups. I guess that is what comes from the idea that someone being offended is a crime against humanity.

I see no comment on how your side isn't satisfied with simply not patronizing a business they disagree with.

When it was the restaurant in Virginia that didn’t serve Sanders, everyone was fine with boycotts and online harrasment like flooding the place with bad reviews.

When someone on the Right doesn’t get seated at a table right away, they smear the restaurant with false accusations of discrimination and hint at anti-semitism.

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=219727

stick

Wiliamsburg will be just fine without the Proud Boys Cafe - I wish this Sands character good luck running from his "contrarian" past.

To paraphrase my fellow Brooklynite Chris Rock, "If one guy thinks it's okay to hang with ten Nazis, then they just became eleven Nazis."

So, you don't believe his truth?

DJGoody

But you leftists are never satisfied with simply not patronizing the business in question. Your fellow-travelers always seem to feel the need to demonize and threaten establishments into submission and closure. You are incapable of simply letting people with differing view points, who are breaking no laws, live in peace with their differing viewpoints.

While I believe that you don't, personally, subscribe to or support that type of demonization and threats, the side you support does. In spades. All the time.

It kind of reminds me of the ending of the movie, "Do the Right Thing" by Spike Lee. They destroyed a restaurant because Italians were proud to be Italian, and you can't have that in the 'hood! DUMBEST F-ing movie EVER!

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

When it was the restaurant in Virginia that didn’t serve Sanders, everyone was fine with boycotts and online harrasment like flooding the place with bad reviews.

When someone on the Right doesn’t get seated at a table right away, they smear the restaurant with false accusations of discrimination and hint at anti-semitism.

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=219727

I object to being lumped in with "everyone." I have never agreed with spamming an establishment with false reviews. And as far as boycotts go, I wouldn't ever eat at the Red Hen, but I wouldn't physically stand in their driveway, blocking others the opportunity to dine there.

I believe many conservatives agree with me. If I don't like something on TV, I don't watch it. If I don't like an eateries policies, I don't patronize them. I don't try to get them taken off the air or run out of business. To me, that's a progressive's way of doing things.