To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Liz

First Wave Of 2020 Panic: Is Biden vs. Bernie Really The Best Democrat

Rate this topic

Liz

First Wave Of 2020 Panic: Is Biden vs. Bernie Really The Best Democrats Can Do?

After the sweeping, female-fueled victories of the midterms, a battle of old white dudes could spell disaster

Salon

Andrew O'Hehir

December 8, 2018 5:00pm (UTC)

Excerpt:

In case you thought the Democrats’ big win in the midterms — a pickup of 40 House seats, and counting — meant that the weirdness and bitterness of the 2016 primary was behind us, and that the party is ready to come together and banish the Twitter-troll-in-chief to the doghouse (or to prison) two years hence, you have a number of other thinks coming. Consider this: The leading contenders for the 2020 Democratic nomination, by far, are Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders.

Speaking as a friend, kind of: That should be avoided at all costs. It's a tragicomic farce waiting to happen, one that threatens to undermine much of what the Democrats have apparently accomplished over the last two years. Both of them are profoundly decent men who have done a lot for this country. But, just, please no.

Presumably a large proportion of Demo-friendly apparatchiks, pundits, activists and regular people will disagree with this diagnosis. I think that’s a problem too.

OK, yeah: It’s much too early to start talking confidently about frontrunners and contenders or defaulting to inane horse-race coverage. (Not like that will stop anybody.) Anything could happen. There at least 12 to 15 other Democrats we could name who are pondering having a go in 2020, and the eventual nominee could well be someone who isn’t seen as a serious prospect at the moment. At this point in 2006, Barack Obama was a first-term senator from Illinois virtually unknown to the wider public. In 1990, Bill Clinton was the unctuous governor of Arkansas who had given an especially long and boring speech at the 1988 convention.

But right now we’ve got Joe and Bernie, who both look extremely likely to run and could easily end up as the principal antagonists. What in hell did we do to deserve this? I take no position on which of them is most likely to win, or even which of them should win — as Bill Moyers told me years ago, those are always the least interesting questions in politics. I do know that this could be disastrous for the Democratic Party, and not just because it opens the door for the re-election of What’s His Name. (Although that too.)

A Sanders-Biden throwdown would rip the scabs off old wounds, inflame entrenched divisions and cast the party in the worst possible light, making clear on a bunch of levels that it doesn’t know who it represents or what principles it stands for. At a moment when Democrats finally seem to be moving toward the future, this would make them appear stuck in the past.

I suspect that many political pros in and around the party feel similarly, which is why they keep trying to construct alternate scenarios that will make this one go away. So we have had the Oprah Winfrey boomlet (do you remember it fondly?), the Kirsten Gillibrand ponder, the Michael Avenatti moment, the Michael Bloomberg trial balloon, the Elizabeth Warren mini-wave and most recently Betomania, in which a guy who lost a Senate race in Texas has abruptly been inflated into the latest liberal dreamboat messiah.

*snip*

Full Article

NH Populist

First things first, wait for the new congress to start proceedings to impeach the president, do away with the current tax cuts, refuse to fund the border wall and go on another spending spree, etc., THEN think about who to run against Trump in 2020. Voters need a little reminder of who the REAL enemies of the State are and the next 2 years should do that just fine.

Edited by NH Populist

RedSoloCup

The Geriatric Ticket!

Noclevermoniker

The Geriatric Ticket!

Ageist.....

Ah, the ever shifting sands of "Who's on Top?" identity politics. Perhaps a better example is the "crabs-in-a-bucket" scenario...

zurg

The problem democrats will have is partly what republicans had: too many bad to mediocre candidates. Election of a president becomes an individual event, not a team sport. I’m very happy because they have nobody with a message or personality that the majority will support. None who can go viral.

Natural Selection
Presumably a large proportion of Demo-friendly apparatchiks...

A Freudian slip by Salon? :lol:

LongKnife
Both of them are profoundly decent men who have done a lot for this country.

Glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read this.

MontyPython

Both of them are profoundly decent men who have done a lot for this country.

Glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read this.

You beat me to it! I'm having coffee right now, not milk, but the reaction was the same: "WHAT?? Excuse me? Was that a typo?"

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Howsithangin

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Apparently, this has received it's sell-by date:

First Wave Of 2020 Panic: Is Biden vs. Bernie Really The Best Democrats Can Do?

After the sweeping, female-fueled victories of the midterms, a battle of old white dudes could spell disaster

Salon

Andrew O'Hehir

December 8, 2018 5:00pm (UTC)

Edited by Howsithangin