Kavanaugh Joins Liberals To Protect Pro-Planned Parenthood Ruling

Rate this topic

Liz

Kavanaugh Joins Liberals To Protect Pro-Planned Parenthood Ruling

The Daily Caller

Kevin Daley | Supreme Court Reporter

11:34 AM 12/10/2018

Excerpt:

The Supreme Court declined to review three cases relating to Republican efforts to defund Planned Parenthood at the state level Monday, over a vigorous dissent from Justice Clarence Thomas.

The dissent was significant because it indicates that Justice Brett Kavanaugh sided with the high court’s liberal wing to deny review of a lower court decision that favored the nation’s largest abortion provider.

“So what explains the Court’s refusal to do its job here?,” Thomas wrote. “I suspect it has something to do with the fact that some respondents in these cases are named ‘Planned Parenthood.'”

“Some tenuous connection to a politically fraught issue does not justify abdicating our judicial duty,” Thomas added. “If anything, neutrally applying the law is all the more important when political issues are in the background.”

[Read Justice Thomas’ dissent]

Justices Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch joined the Thomas dissent, meaning there were three votes in favor of taking the case. Since four votes are needed for the Supreme Court to take up a case, the opinion indicates that Chief Justice John Roberts and Kavanaugh joined with the four liberals to deny review.

This move could indicate that Roberts and Kavanaugh are loath to take take up an abortion-related question in the aftermath of Kavanaugh’s contentious confirmation. The Court’s new junior justice has generally kept a low profile since taking the bench in October.

*snip*

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with Planned Parenthood on that question in June 2017, prompting an appeal to the Supreme Court. That ruling is left in place now that the justices have refused to take the case.

Pro-life groups swiftly expressed their displeasure following Monday’s announcement.

*snip*

Full Story

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

We all knew that Kavanaugh wasn't the ideal conservative before he was confirmed.

The left had a total meltdown over this guy, so no way was Trump going to get a more conservative justice in that job.

Well according to Trump, he's got a much better more hard line conservative in line for nomination after Ginsberg bows out. :D

Ladybird

The way I read it the question had nothing to do with abortion itself. Rather, the rule was preventing low income women from receiving non-abortion related health services from the clinic of their choosing.

gravelrash

The way I read it the question had nothing to do with abortion itself. Rather, the rule was preventing low income women from receiving non-abortion related health services from the clinic of their choosing.

That was my take away. However, I have never agreed with taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood. There are plenty of crumb donors, multimillionaires, and billionaires who donate to the organization to keep it open and independent.

Dean Adam Smithee

Sort of. The initial lawsuit was over several states blacklisting PP as a 'Medicaid' provider for non-abortion services. It was initially dismissed on the grounds that individual medicaid recipients don't have 'standing' to challenge their states list of providers. The dismissal was revoked on appeal. Then reversed again on further appealed again. Then SCOTUS decided not to take it on.

I believe that all this means is that the original court(s) now DO have to hear the initial lawsuit.

Currahee!

We all knew that Kavanaugh wasn't the ideal conservative before he was confirmed.

The left had a total meltdown over this guy, so no way was Trump going to get a more conservative justice in that job.

Well according to Trump, he's got a much better more hard line conservative in line for nomination after Ginsberg bows out. :D

Ginsberg......I’m thinking that may be as early as this January.....wonder who Trump will pick?