To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Liz

*UNEXPECTEDLY* — NYC Restaurants Cut Staff And Worker Hours Due To New

Rate this topic

Liz

*UNEXPECTEDLY* — NYC Restaurants Cut Staff And Worker Hours Due To New $15 Minimum Wage

“We lost control of our largest controllable expense”

Legal Insurrection

Posted by Mike LaChance

Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 10:00am

Excerpt:

A new law in New York City which took effect at the start of the year, requires businesses with eleven or more employees to pay them a minimum of $15 an hour. It’s not working out too well for restaurants.

Chalk this up to good intentions and unintended consequences.

Megan Cerullo of CBS News reports:

NYC restaurants cutting staff hours as minimum wage hits $15

The legal minimum wage for New York City employers with 11 or more workers rose more than 15 percent on Dec. 31, 2018, to $15 per hour from $13, giving fast-food, retail and other employees a bump in pay. But some New York City restaurant owners say the latest minimum wage hike is forcing them to cut workers’ hours just to stay afloat.

It’s the third rise in the city’s base wage since Dec. 31, 2016, when it went to $11 an hour. The latest increase is part of a plan that phases in minimum wage hikes across New York state, with amounts and effective dates varying by region and industry. It’s not just a New York phenomenon, however: Minimum wages rose in 20 states with the new year, forcing businesses across the country to grapple with higher payrolls — and compete for workers with giants like Amazon that are already offering $15 an hour.

Jon Bloostein operates six New York City restaurants that employ between 50 and 110 people each. The owner of Heartland Brewery and Houston Hall, Bloostein said the effect of the higher minimum wage on payroll across locations represents “an immense cost” to his business.

“We lost control of our largest controllable expense,” he told CBS MoneyWatch. “So in order to live with that and stay in business, we’re cutting hours.”

Bloostein said he has scaled back on employee hours and no longer uses hosts and hostesses during lunch on light traffic days. Customers instead are greeted with a sign that reads, “Kindly select a table.” He also staggers employees’ start times. “These fewer hours add up to a lot of money in restaurants,” he said.

Bloostein said he has increased menu prices, too.

This is what happens when professional activists and legislators, many of whom have never owned or operated a business, make decisions for job creators.

*snip*

If only someone had predicted this sort of thing:

Big Robot welcomes your $15 per hr minimum wage

Seattle Minimum Wage Hike Backfires Hurting Low Income Workers

San Diego Restaurants Serve “Dining Surcharge” After Minimum Wage Hikes

The ink on the new law in New York is barely dry, but some people want to keep going.

Ginia Bellafante writes at the New York Times:

The $15 Minimum Wage Is Here. Why We Need $33 an Hour.

*snip*

Full Story

And it always comes as a shock.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

:violin:

They get the government that they deserve up there in Progtardland.

Joe the Pagan

This is what happens when people with no understanding on how money works make laws. As far as they know money just magically appears in their bank account once a month.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

This is what happens when people with no understanding on how money works make laws. As far as they know money just magically appears in their bank account once a month.

Well, they are politicians and that's how they get all of their money? :shrug:

It just shows up in their accounts and they do absolutely nothing constructive or productive to earn any of it.

zurg

This article and many like it so often use the phrase “good intentions and unintended consequences”.

Well, I friggin disagree. It’s NOT good intentions and NEITHER is it unintended.

Joe the Pagan

It just shows up in their accounts and they do absolutely nothing constructive or productive to earn any of it.

Most of them never worked a day in their life before becoming politicians, and the money still magically appeared in their account.

I have mentioned before about going to a SF convention. During a panel I made a comment about an underrated actor. A group of people approached me asking if I wanted to join them in a few weeks for a convention the actor was appearing at. They could not understand that I needed to check my fiances, and would need check with my job if I could get the time off. One of them suggested if I could not get the time off that I quit my job and find a new one after the convention.

Hieronymous

This article and many like it so often use the phrase “good intentions and unintended consequences”.

Well, I friggin disagree. It’s NOT good intentions and NEITHER is it unintended.

Very true

RedSoloCup

:violin:

They get the government that they deserve up there in Progtardland.

:exactly:

Severian

Most of them never worked a day in their life before becoming politicians, and the money still magically appeared in their account.

I have mentioned before about going to a SF convention. During a panel I made a comment about an underrated actor. A group of people approached me asking if I wanted to join them in a few weeks for a convention the actor was appearing at. They could not understand that I needed to check my fiances, and would need check with my job if I could get the time off. One of them suggested if I could not get the time off that I quit my job and find a new one after the convention.

I’m curious, which actor?

GrimV

The following graph proves there's no relationship between an artificial wage increase and unemployment:

65ca2c9f76b7b8048adb13aaf59339d7--charts-and-graphs-pie-charts.jpg

LeansToTheRight

How many fiances did you have? :)

USNJIMRET

:clap: :eyebrows: :clap:

Like other posters, I noticed the "Chalk this up to good intentions and unintended consequences." lie in the linked story.

I no longer have ANY faith in unintended consequences, particularly when it comes to money and group dynamics.

Severian

Wow, good thing AOC got a new gig as a congresswoman when she did!

Weaseljd

I have been to Heartland Brewery in New York. A little pricey, but great steaks!

MontyPython

:clap: :eyebrows: :clap:

Like other posters, I noticed the "Chalk this up to good intentions and unintended consequences." lie in the linked story.

I no longer have ANY faith in unintended consequences, particularly when it comes to money and group dynamics.

Yeah, me three. It might be different if nobody had ever tried to explain to them what happens when the costs of operating any given business go up significantly. I might be more willing to believe they "meant well" and that the unavoidable harm they've caused was "unforeseen" and/or "unintended".

But that ain't the case, of course. People have been explaining the facts to these idiots for years, and they don't care. They just barge ahead with these economically-disastrous policies anyway, and the people they insist they're trying to help are inevitably the ones hurt the worst.

<_<

NH Populist

Sort' a reminds you of Obama's corporate tax rate and overregulated business practices that drove so many U.S. manufacturers straight into the arms of business friendly China and Mexico, no?!

MTP Reggie

The following graph proves there's no relationship between an artificial wage increase and unemployment:

65ca2c9f76b7b8048adb13aaf59339d7--charts-and-graphs-pie-charts.jpg

Wow... Unsourced graphs. How surprising!

gravelrash

l3yx5zo572k11.jpg

RedSoloCup
6eda68cffd30b41cd3577097cc8a4de3d8ee3a91bf826997af5a46b7fadf2c45.jpg

Joe the Pagan

It depends on how man pain meds I took after shoveling.

Joe the Pagan

I’m curious, which actor?

Colin Baker. When he was the Doctor the producer wanted to get fired, and the BBC wanted the producer to quit. So the producer was making bad decisions (hoping to be fired), and the BBC was micromanaging the show (hoping the producer would quit).

I had made the comment that it was difficult to take Colin Baker serious when he was being upstaged by his costume. I had also mentioned the Blue Coat project, where a fan or fans had edited the original multi-color costume to one that was shades of blue.

bluedoc6.jpg

zurg

Sort' a reminds you of Obama's corporate tax rate and overregulated business practices that drove so many U.S. manufacturers straight into the arms of business friendly China and Mexico, no?!

Indeed! (With equal destructive intent too.)

helton
Edited by helton