To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Government retribution for satire?

Rate this topic

Weaseljd

Saturday Night Live is a comedy show, which has poked fun at politicians, especially presidents, since its inception. These are the times one misses Bush Sr..

Yes, Saturday Night Live is a comedy show which has always poked fun at the Presidents. But in the past, it was poking fun at them, from Chevy Chase falling down playing Ford to Dana Carvey and his George Bush, Sr. impressions to even Will Farrell as Bush the younger. But they poked fun at the Presidents in good natured humor. Carvey and Bush Sr. Actually became friends over his impressions, and there was no mean spiritedness in the impressions.

Now however is not the same. SNL is playing politics, Baldwin mocks in anger, and SNL flat out lies and makes things up for the purpose of attacking the President, not poking fun at him. Even Carvey and Rob Schneider among others have noted that what is going on now is not comedy, but just partisan attacks.

Edited by Weaseljd

MontyPython

Yes, Saturday Night Live is a comedy show which has always poked fun at the Presidents. But in the past, it was poking fun at them, from Chevy Chase falling down playing Ford to Dana Carvey and his George Bush, Sr. impressions to even Will Farrell as Bush the younger. But they poked fun at the Presidents in good natured humor. Carvey and Bush Sr. Actually became friends over his impressions, and there was no mean spiritedness in the impressions.

Now however is not the same. SNL is playing politics, Baldwin mocks in anger, and SNL flat out lies and makes things up for the purpose of attacking the President, not mocking him. Even Carvey and Rob Schneider among others have noted that what is going on now is not comedy, but just partisan attacks.

Yup, exactly - Deliberately vicious, dishonest, blindly partisan attacks. Neither "comedy" nor even just "politics".

<_<

Ladybird

Now however is not the same. SNL is playing politics, Baldwin mocks in anger, and SNL flat out lies and makes things up for the purpose of attacking the President, not poking fun at him. Even Carvey and Rob Schneider among others have noted that what is going on now is not comedy, but just partisan attacks.

Ok they are over the top in their mocking of the president. Again, so what? Do you think, like the president suggested, that something should be done about it?

NH Populist

It's just more of the same Ms B, so what if there's 6 genders now? So what if BLM people are blocking highways? So what if there's an invasion going on at the border? So what? The country your side's creating will be an uninhabitable mess before you're through..

Edited by NH Populist

Weaseljd

Ok they are over the top in their mocking of the president. Again, so what? Do you think, like the president suggested, that something should be done about it?

If they are lying and are subject to slander claims, yes (and I know this is VERY hard to prove given he is a public figure). Should people boycott or stop watching because it is no longer funny and again due to the viciousness of the attacks. Sure. Are these "doing something about it"? I would think so.

Do I think there should be any kind of censorship of what they are doing, or that the government should make them stop being unfunny? No. And I hope that is not what the President was advocating with his ambiguous tweet. But tweeting "something should be done" about SNL sure leaves a whole lot of something. Maybe it was a message to Lorne Michaels that the show sucks and if they want to be funny again they should stop with the vicious attacks and get back to being funny.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Hell must have frozen over, because I completely agree with you on this! :unsure:

This isn't comedy at all.

It's nothing but pure vitriol, venom and hatred coming from the SNL low IQ progtards.

Taggart Transcontinental

The last funny SNL sketch.

Never saw that one! Yeah that was a good one.

Taggart Transcontinental

Slander? This is a comedy sketch show. "Slander" has zero context here. Comedians mock, exaggerate, and otherwise make fun of people and situations. They even lie. So what? Apparently Trump and his minions cannot take a joke. That's fine, but the POTUS making veiled threats over the content of TV shows is not.

Folks on the right used to know this.

Uttering of false charges and misrepresentations, I would say that's quite accurate for this "comedy show", or is comedy now claiming a white man is racist with every cell in your body when there is ABSOLUTELY no proof. For God's sake the man received an award and high praise from both Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, who apparently speak for ALL black people!

Taggart Transcontinental

Unless I've missed something, the title of this thread insinuates the Government should get into the censuring business to protect the president's fragile ego. Could it be that Trump was just talking to his base, suggesting they boycott SNL? If you watch the goofy award shows musicians and actors hand out to themselves, you know their ratings tanked after their anti-Trump rants took over. Again, this is nothing more than a little nudge from Trump to his base, "How 'bout we take these jerks down"? After all, the award shows seem to have gotten the message...

Lets see the Senate has a nasty habit of hauling people before them that they disagree with, maybe he was pointing to this group and saying the same thing?

Taggart Transcontinental

If they were attacking Obama in this way you would be demanding that the show be ended. Yet because they are as marxist as your agenda they would never attack him. So you are good with this as usual.

Buckwheat Jones

People that get their news from comedy shows (or Alex Jones) are kooks and morons, but that is not the shows problem or a problem for the rest of us who know the difference between infotainment and serious news.

In a perfect world.....

But it is actually a problem for the rest of us because when the up and coming are ignorant, and willing to be hand fed bullish!t, then their decisions will be poor decisions. As they’ll be driving the bus one day.

LeansToTheRight

This is still about a TV comedy sketch show, which has a long history of mocking REPUBLICAN presidents, being attacked by the current one. Talk about off the rails.. It's the right, who under any other circumstance would look negatively upon these actions now making excuses for bad behavior that is 'off the rails'.

Fixed it for you. There's no proof that they actually "mocked" Obama. Your two clips earlier were no where near any reasonable definition of "mock". You think that turning the President into The Rock is actually mocking him? Really???? I mean, REALLY????????

MontyPython

I guess that depends what somebody thinks "should be done". "Should" people wise up and stop rewarding such viciously dishonest and unfunny "comedy" shows by not watching them anymore? Yup. "Should" the show's producers put their feet down and quit approving that kind swill on their shows? Yup. "Should" the producers decide to fire any of the show's "comedians" who refuse to go along with the show's new direction? Yup.

But "should" any government entity try to force any of the above suggestions? Of course not.

B)

Ladybird

Fixed it for you. There's no proof that they actually "mocked" Obama. Your two clips earlier were no where near any reasonable definition of "mock". You think that turning the President into The Rock is actually mocking him? Really???? I mean, REALLY????????

The mocked all presidents, including Obama, Clinton, and Carter. Talk about triggered. Not only is Trump thin skinned, but so are his supporters. It's a late night sketch show no one is forced to watch.

Edited by Ladybird

Ladybird

I guess that depends what somebody thinks "should be done". "Should" people wise up and stop rewarding such viciously dishonest and unfunny "comedy" shows by not watching them anymore? Yup. "Should" the show's producers put their feet down and quit approving that kind swill on their shows? Yup. "Should" the producers decide to fire any of the show's "comedians" who refuse to go along with the show's new direction? Yup.

But "should" any government entity try to force any of the above suggestions? Of course not.

B)

It's up to the viewers and advertisers to decide whether the content acceptable. They vote with their dollars.

MontyPython

It's up to the viewers and advertisers to decide whether the content acceptable. They vote with their dollars.

Yes, that was first and foremost in my intended point. Did you bother to read it before responding?

:scratch:

Ticked@TinselTown

The mocked all presidents, including Obama, Clinton, and Carter. Talk about triggered. Not only is Trump thin skinned, but so are his supporters. It's a late night sketch show no one is forced to watch.

kathy-griffin-trump-beheading-640x480.jpg

Because this is SO effing funny that people are still rolling on the floor laughing, right?

But it's OK because it's Trump, because, well, it's all in good fun. There is nothing about this that could be construed as inciting violence or embracing violent actions, right?

Show me ANY so called comedian under any other administration pull anything like this and try to pass it off as funny.

Weaseljd

I don't ever watch, and have not for about 20 years.

And when did SNL ever really mock Obama. They may have poked a little fun at his expense, but truly mock or attack him, never. They were more kid gloves with their Messiah than SNL ever was with any other President (though I will give you they laid into Clinton. Carter, Akroyd did a good Carter. But again, it was all in good fun.

Noclevermoniker

What I’m really saying is what I wrote.

What you’re really saying is don’t hurt the fragile ego of our guy or he will throw a temper tantrum and embarrass us all. See how that works?

Who was it warned the press not to make fun of his jug ears, and was dead serious when he said it?

Here’s a hint: “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Period.”

JerryL

What I’m really saying is what I wrote.

What you’re really saying is don’t hurt the fragile ego of our guy or he will throw a temper tantrum and embarrass us all. See how that works?

Wait a minute...is he throwing a temper tantrum or threatening to use the power of the government to silence SNL?

JerryL

He said [the show] should be looked into.

So? That is his opinion. Has he ordered anyone to "look into them?" Do you honestly think that he will?

Like I said, off the rails.

NH Populist

Because this is SO effing funny that people are still rolling on the floor laughing, right?

But it's OK because it's Trump, because, well, it's all in good fun. There is nothing about this that could be construed as inciting violence or embracing violent actions, right?

Show me ANY so called comedian under any other administration pull anything like this and try to pass it off as funny.

Ticked, I think you just made LB's hot air balloon crash and burn... :welldone:

RedSoloCup

:yeahthat:

Who was it warned the press not to make fun of his jug ears, and was dead serious when he said it?

Zing!

If they were attacking Obama in this way you would be demanding that the show be ended. Yet because they are as marxist as your agenda they would never attack him. So you are good with this as usual.

:exactly:

Ladybird

Link, please?

Ladybird

Wait a minute...is he throwing a temper tantrum or threatening to use the power of the government to silence SNL?

My reply was strictly in the context of Zurgs claims that I meant something different than what I said.

Edited by Ladybird