To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ticked@TinselTown

Utah teacher could face disciplinary action after forcing boy to remov

Rate this topic

Ticked@TinselTown

Utah teacher could face disciplinary action after forcing boy to remove Ash Wednesday cross from his forehead

The Daily Mail - link

<excerpted>

A Utah elementary school teacher may face disciplinary action after she made a fourth-grade boy wipe off the Ash Wednesday cross on his forehead.

William McLeod arrived for class at Valley View Elementary School in Bountiful on Wednesday with the traditional Ash cross to commemorate the Christian holy day.

But William said he was the only student in his class with the cross on his forehead and that his teacher quickly came up and asked him what it was.

'I was like, "It's Ash Wednesday and I'm Catholic. It's the first day of Lent,'" William told KSTU. 'She was like, "No, it's inappropriate, go take it off."'

*snip*

MontyPython

I truly wish I could say something like "incredible" or "unbelievable", but unfortunately I find it very believable indeed.

<_<

Howsithangin

I truly wish I could say something like "incredible" or "unbelievable", but unfortunately I find it very believable indeed.

<_<

Truth.

Now for the obligatory: would she had required removal of a yarmulke or hajab?

AnnieGotHerGun

As a teacher, I hope she is smart enough to know what the ash means. She can claim ignorance, I suppose. But I doubt it gets her very far.

grimreefer

I was wondering WTF was wrong with Martha MacCallum's forehead. I have never seen or heard of this practice before. :shrug:

USNJIMRET

I was wondering WTF was wrong with Martha MacCallum's forehead. I have never seen or heard of this practice before. :shrug:

I will admit I had never seen it until I was in my early 30's in Iceland.

Guess I just wasn't around Catholics much.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Back in the day when I went to school, several Catholic kids wore the ashes on their forehead to class. No biggie.

But now, the public schools here in some counties don't allow it, but there has been no public outcry about it.

And remember people this happened in Utah, home of the Mormons. That probably had something to do with influencing this teacher's attitude towards this student?

Ladybird

Really? On Ash Wednesday public schools excuse kids in the morning if they want to go to church first. They do in NY & NJ anyway.

Episcopalians and other protestants observe Ash Wednesday too.

Big Dave

Really? On Ash Wednesday public schools excuse kids in the morning if they want to go to church first. They do in NY & NJ anyway.

We Methodists do, mostly.

grimreefer

I vaguely knew what Ash Wednesday is, I've just never seen or heard of anyone smearing ash on their forehead for it before.

As an aside... it's kinda cool to know that I can still learn new things even at this age. :whistling:

RedSoloCup

Truth.

Now for the obligatory: would she had required removal of a yarmulke or hajab?

Nope.

Dean Adam Smithee

My family was Lutheran for a while when I was a kid, My dad left the Evangelical United Brethren church when they merged with Methodists to become United Methodists. This was sometime in the mid or late '60s.

I've HEARD of Ash Wednesday, don't recall the precise meaning or why the ashes.

Although, given that Ash Wednesday is the day after Mardi Gras ("Fat Tuesday"), maybe the ashes are symbolic of the sackcloth and ashes that one SHOULD be wearing in repentance of the things done the day before?

:cheer: :party: :chili: :banana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUIdVdGwF0

Ladybird

My family was Lutheran for a while when I was a kid, My dad left the Evangelical United Brethren church when they merged with Methodists to become United Methodists. This was sometime in the mid or late '60s.

I've HEARD of Ash Wednesday, don't recall the precise meaning or why the ashes.

Although, given that Ash Wednesday is the day after Mardi Gras ("Fat Tuesday"), maybe the ashes are symbolic of the sackcloth and ashes that one SHOULD be wearing in repentance of the things done the day before?

:cheer: :party: :chili: :banana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUIdVdGwF0

I was told (I grew up Episcopalian) that the ashes were made from the palms left over from Palm Sunday the year before. That’s why they should never hit the floor or be used to swat each other in Sunday school. Don’t know how accurate that is though.

Tea Party Hooligan

Lutherans do it also. I know, since I are one :coolshades:

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

I was an adult before I ever heard of the practice and I think I saw it on a TV show or in a movie. I have never seen anyone in real life participate in this. (And I have always lived in California and have known many Catholics and Lutherans.) So I'm willing to accept that this Utah teacher just thought the child had smudged a cross on his face.

Edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D)

spt

I presently go to the Baptist church and we observe Ash Wednesday. When we receive the ashes we can choose hand or forehead. It is to remind up to be humble and to humble ourselves before God and remind us of the sacrifice that Christ gave on the cross. This starts the season of Lent. Ashes for humbleness, Cross for Christ's sacrifice. When they are placed on us we are told "from dust you came and to dust you shall return." It a very poignant and moving service to attend.

DJGoody

I was told (I grew up Episcopalian) that the ashes were made from the palms left over from Palm Sunday the year before. That’s why they should never hit the floor or be used to swat each other in Sunday school. Don’t know how accurate that is though.

I remember a few nuns smacking us upside the head at school/church for using palm leaves as weapons. HAHAHA!

USNRETWIFE

Maybe because I grew up in a small town and the Catholic school was right across the street from the public school, but it was very common to see half the kids in town running around with the ash cross. Everyone knew why and no one gave the kids a second thought. I don't know if it's less common than it used to be that so many don't know about it or that, like I said, small town and school proximity. erst060.gif

MontyPython

I was an adult before I ever heard of the practice and I think I saw it on a TV show or in a movie. I have never seen anyone in real life participate in this. (And I have always lived in California and have known many Catholics and Lutherans.) So I'm willing to accept that this Utah teacher just thought the child had smudged a cross on his face.

I agree it's possible she just didn't know. HOWEVER, that said, after the kid explained it to her, she had no excuse to call it "inappropriate" and make him wash it off.

B)

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

I agree it's possible she just didn't know. HOWEVER, that said, after the kid explained it to her, she had no excuse to call it "inappropriate" and make him wash it off.

B)

I'm willing to wait a little. I've taught school. If this kid was a trouble maker, or if his tone was mocking when he said it--then it is different. I agree with you if her "history" with this child indicated he was telling the truth. But, I've known some kids that I wouldn't trust if they told me the sky were blue. Just sayin'.

(But I've also known some pretty ignorant Utahans. So you could be complete on target.)

Edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D)

catpat

Back in the day when I went to school, several Catholic kids wore the ashes on their forehead to class. No biggie.

But now, the public schools here in some counties don't allow it, but there has been no public outcry about it.

And remember people this happened in Utah, home of the Mormons. That probably had something to do with influencing this teacher's attitude towards this student?

Oh, really. "Mormon influence," eh? Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are keenly conscious of religious bigotry. Not to say that there aren't members that are jerks, I doubt that is what played out here.

I am going to err on the side of this teacher, who may have thought she was doing her civic duty. Religious expression in schools are, generally, not allowed, especially Bible reading and prayers, so why should this be okay? why should she get herself in trouble, perhaps, for not doing anything about it? What is a teacher to do?

Edited by catpat

Severian

I first saw it in the college, a Catholic guy I knew showed up with ash on his forehead. I asked him about it, he explained, no biggie. I had never been around many Catholics either growing up.

You'd think a Mormon would be a tad bit more religiously tolerant given how they were treated back in the 1800s.

catpat

B)

Why not? If Bible reading and prayers are not allowed in schools, then, perhaps in her mind, why not this?

catpat

I first saw it in the college, a Catholic guy I knew showed up with ash on his forehead. I asked him about it, he explained, no biggie. I had never been around many Catholics either growing up.

You'd think a Mormon would be a tad bit more religiously tolerant given how they were treated back in the 1800s.

Where does it say she is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Ladybird
This is the second example this week, and many examples before, of a teacher being unaware of the religious or free speech rights of kids, even when they are students. I would say it is their training that is insufficient. Edited by Ladybird