Hollywood Celebrities Charged

Rate this topic

MontyPython

Hollywood Celebrities Charged In Major College Admissions Scandal

Forbes

Zack Friedman

March 12, 2019

It reads like a Hollywood screenplay.

Celebrities. CEOs. College Admissions. Allegations of cheating and bribery.

The U.S. Attorney in the District of Massachusetts charged 46 people, including two television stars, CEOs and coaches, in federal court as part of a long-running, nationwide conspiracy to illicitly gain admission for their children to top colleges and universities. Both Felicity Huffman (Desperate Housewives) and Lori Loughlin (Full House, Fuller House) were charged as part of the alleged scheme, which dates to 2011.

The allegations

According to the unsealed court documents, the allegations include, among others:

-bribing college entrance exam officials to facilitate cheating on college entrance exams;

-bribing coaches and administrators to designate applicants as recruited athletes (when they were not athletes) to gain admission to colleges and universities;

-using a charitable organization to conceal bribery payments;

-having third parties take classes and exams in place of their children and submitting the earned grade as part of the students' college applications;

-submitting falsified applications for admission that contained fraudulently-obtained exam scores, grades, awards and athletic activities

According to Justice Department officials, the most frequent form of fraudulent activities included cheating on SAT or ACT exams, or using connections with Division I coaches to offer fake athletic credentials to gain admission. Some parents allegedly took advantage of one of these activities, while others took advantage of both.

More Here

Coach

It's going to be interesting as to what sports are involved. I think women's soccer, tennis, crew and various other glam games will be prominent.

MikeTexas

Honestly does anyone think that anyone will be sentenced to any time? They will pay what has been called "stupid" money which they have mountains of. No big deal, nothing to see here.

Ladybird

Lori Loughlin’s daughter:

“I don’t know how much of school I’m going to attend. I’m going talk to my deans, and hope I can balance it all. I do want experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school."

Link

$500,000. her parents paid.

linewinder

“I don’t know how much of school I’m going to attend. I’m going talk to my deans, and hope I can balance it all. I do want experience of like game days, partying…I don’t really care about school."

Link

And some people are surprised that her parents had to bribe people to get her into a college.

Edited by linewinder

RedSoloCup

Link

Oh great. Another AOC in the making.

stick

Link

So....white privilege...fail?

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Oh great. Another AOC in the making.

:exactly:

You have just got to know that people as extremely stupid as she is never made it through college without something being rigged?

USNRETWIFE

We all know the elites know how we should live, but none of it pertains to them. They are special and if you don't believe it, ask them. I agree with MikeTexas. Nothing will happen.

Kilmerfan

Honestly does anyone think that anyone will be sentenced to any time? They will pay what has been called "stupid" money which they have mountains of. No big deal, nothing to see here.

Too true it's Massachusetts after all.

Hieronymous

It's going to be interesting as to what sports are involved. I think women's soccer, tennis, crew and various other glam games will be prominent.

All so parents can say, "My kid just got accepted to Wassamatta U" or wherever.

Ticked@TinselTown

We all know the elites know how we should live, but none of it pertains to them. They are special and if you don't believe it, ask them. I agree with MikeTexas. Nothing will happen.

Yep...

grimreefer

All so parents can say, "My kid just got accepted to Wassamatta U" or wherever.

:yeahthat:

Ben Shapiro articulates it better than I can, though:

The question is why. Both these families are wealthy. The children of these families weren’t going to lack for opportunity in life. Furthermore, isn’t college designed to train people for the real world? Wouldn’t admission under false pretenses result in the kids flunking out? Wouldn’t their lack of merit be revealed by the simple pressure of the schooling?

The answer is obvious: no, it wouldn’t. Colleges aren’t about training kids for the real world, or teaching them significant modes of thinking, or examining timeless truths. Universities aren’t about skill sets, either – at least in the humanities. They’re about two things: credentialism and social connections.

In our society, there is an easy way to be perceived as intellectually meritorious: point to your degree. Those with a college degree all-too-often sneer at those without one, as though lack of a college degree were an indicator of innate ability or future lack of success. That simply isn’t true. But for generations, the widespread perception has been that the smartest kids go to college – and that the relative merit of each college confers a similar level of merit on the students. A student who goes to Yale is smarter than one who goes to junior college. This provides a lifelong advantage: employers are willing to take more chances on those who earn a Yale degree than those who went to junior college, for example.

Then there’s social connection. Social institutions in the United States have been fading over time. Churches used to provide us our chief means of social connection. Colleges now do. JD Vance writes in Hillbilly Elegy that admission to Yale Law School granted him social capital: “the networks of people and institutions around us have real economic value.” They also have social value. We often get jobs from friends, or from friends of friends. The social circles in which we travel matter. That’s true for those born rich as well as those born poor.

Here’s the problem: neither of these priorities actually demands that universities teach anything. Credentialism occurs upon admission, so long as you aren’t thrown out of school; social capital begins to accrue with presence, not with performance. Hence colleges watering down curricula and grades in order to make it easier to credential, and to generate less friction. That’s what students and parents demand: not skills, not education, but credentialism and social capital.

RedSoloCup

:exactly:

You have just got to know that people as extremely stupid as she is never made it through college without something being rigged?

They both no doubt voted for Hillary! At least Lori did...

Edited by RedSoloCup

grimreefer
Why stop at seven agents? Hell, just send Delta Force. If you’re going to go big, then you might as well go all-out.

LINK

Interesting. It looks like they gave Huffman the Roger Stone treatment. 7 FBI agents at 6 AM with guns drawn? :o

Dean Adam Smithee

Link

There's an old saying, something about "fools and their money..."

E Van der Vliet

Interesting. It looks like they gave Huffman the Roger Stone treatment. 7 FBI agents at 6 AM with guns drawn? :o

Just like with Stone, every American should be outraged at this over use of force by the FBI. Something has got to give.

Tea Party Hooligan

Just like with Stone, every American should be outraged at this over use of force by the FBI. Something has got to give.

Yeah, I agree. When I heard about it, I thought they were "acting stupidly".

Ticked@TinselTown

Yeah, when I saw that I got a real laugh, then thought, Hmm... They did this to Stone and nobody on the left thought less of Mueller. Now that they've gone after open leftards from Hollywood, it's going to be blamed on Trump abusing his power and weaponizing the FBI against his 'political' enemies...

The world is just so curious, isn't it?

Alexis

They both no doubt voted for Hillary! At least Lori did...

That's really disappointing. She's the star of one of my favorite shows -- The Garage Sale Mysteries, with old fashioned values, and I thought she might be a conservative.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Yeah, when I saw that I got a real laugh, then thought, Hmm... They did this to Stone and nobody on the left thought less of Mueller. Now that they've gone after open leftards from Hollywood, it's going to be blamed on Trump abusing his power and weaponizing the FBI against his 'political' enemies...

The world is just so curious, isn't it?

I'd say it's more like it's totally effed up? :rolleyes:

searcher

The only thing that surprises me about this is that people are shocked and amazed. This s nothing new. Folks with money or position have always had an advantage. Some use it, some don't. Their kids have an advantage in school and when it comes to hiring. I'm not saying it's right, but it will never change.

Mark

Taggart Transcontinental

Wait a minute it is a violation of the law to do this? Crap all they had to do was claim some privileged heritage like oh I don't know, Indian, or black, mexican illegal, or afghan terrorist and they could have sailed in without any special monies changing hands.

Taggart Transcontinental

The only thing that surprises me about this is that people are shocked and amazed. This s nothing new. Folks with money or position have always had an advantage. Some use it, some don't. Their kids have an advantage in school and when it comes to hiring. I'm not saying it's right, but it will never change.

Mark

I am not at all surprised either, the problem lies within this theory of social-tocracy we have where these idiot leftists receive a parchment and suddenly they are "smarter" than the rest of us. AOC's IQ is no higher than the average shoe size in America, but what that mental midget does have is a lot of arrogance masking as confidence. She's a moron-savant, but because she got elected in a marxist district by out maneuvering a fat and lazy democrat she now has a position to threaten the US. People like her are a blight on society and our "education" system is creating them by the bucket fulls.