To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Dean Adam Smithee

I hate PBS

Rate this topic

BootsieBets

its probably a good thing no restaurants I know of serve abalone because then id have NO paycheck left haha

Ooh, abalone is wonderful! I had it once when my family was on a trip to the West Coast in the 70’s. I was a teenager, but I still remember how good that meal was! It was banned for commercial harvesting (in the 90’s I think) so I am lucky we were able to enjoy it back when you could afford it. My dad lived in California during WWII and they had it a lot back then – he was thrilled we found a restaurant that served it and did a good job of grilling it. Tasty! Can't find it in Colorado much.

Liz

If prepared right, if not it's like eating an old inner tube. They can be tough suckers. Thinking on it I have had it one other time but it was barely edible it was so tough, not sure how my friend's dad prepped it but I remember him saying it took work to make it tender. . .

We prepared it doré style. We'd slice it as thin as possible and then pound it with a mallet for what seemed like forever until we were sure it would be tender. Our arms ached for days afterward but it was so worth it.

Then we'd lightly coat the abalone slices in a seasoned flour mixture, dip them in an egg batter and cook them in oil and/or butter in a hot frying pan. Magnificent!

zurg

I've never eaten abalone. Good huh? I'd like to try it someday.

B)

I read this as “alone”. Missed the ba. so I was like WTH, really, there are people who never ate alone?

Liz

I read this as “alone”. Missed the ba. so I was like WTH, really, there are people who never ate alone?

Hell, and what's worse, I even occasionally drink alone. :P

zurg

Hell, and what's worse, I even occasionally drink alone. :P

Of course, with Johnny Walker and your buddy Weiser in a room marked by Dos Equis.

Liz

Of course, with Johnny Walker and your buddy Weiser in a room marked by Dos Equis.

Well, I never get lonely. :lol:

MontyPython

LOL

Actually, I prefer to eat alone. That way there's nobody to be offended by my rude table manners, eating with my fingers, burping, etc.

:whistling:

Dean Adam Smithee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E9ydw_aDMg

Ladybird

I don’t care for seafood, but I’ve had some grilled scallops that were to die for from a restaurant in City Island (The Bronx). They melt in your mouth.

And fried clams, if I’m in New England, are another favorite.

Severian

That's the one thing I miss about all the HoJo's going out of business, fried clams. I remember the first time I ate a fried clam, it was at a HoJo when I was a kid. It accidentally got into my order of fries, I had always thought fried clams sounded icky, but OMG! The sweet breaded goodness just melted in my mouth! I was hooked from then on.

Magic Rat

I don’t care for seafood, but I’ve had some grilled scallops that were to die for from a restaurant in City Island (The Bronx). They melt in your mouth.

City Island is the best place for seafood in that area. It was THE place for clams when I was a kid.

MontyPython

Fresh clams all over the place around here. And oysters too, so thick in some places it's difficult to walk on a stretch of rocky beach without crunching an oyster under each step. And dungeness crab by the bucketful, the tastiest variety of crab in the world.

I LOVE living here...nom nom nom...

:yes:

Ladybird

City Island is the best place for seafood in that area. It was THE place for clams when I was a kid.

One of the many things I miss not living near a coast. Any coast.

Dean Adam Smithee

Wound up on City Island, whilst doing a project in South Bronx in the '90s. Bruckner @ East point. The word 'desolation' doesn't even begin to describe THAT, though City Island was the exact opposite. More hoity and toity than I could afford. $50-ish for a parking spot and one beer.

BEST Seafood? Maryland. US 301 just N of the Va line. Don't be fooled by it being a "Truck stop". Best crab cakes EVER.