To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Howsithangin

And the winner of Game of Thrones is...

Rate this topic

Ticked@TinselTown

You do realize she is John's aunt, don't you? Granted, I know they have siblings shtooping like they're from the deep woods of Alabama, but the characters that know this are disgusted by it. It is also the secret most of the plot lines in the entire series stemmed from and branched out, beginning when Jaime tried to kill Brandon when he discovered them in the tower and Eddard's execution.

I do realize that they are close kin, but, I also realize that they are fictional characters.

Beyond that, Jon was DEAD for a good day or so before he was brought back to life by the Red Witch, which would tell me that his genes are beyond scrambled and whether or not he could sire children with her would be questionable at the very least.

And the only reason Jamie took out Brandon was because Robert was still alive and they didn't want him getting

wind of their trysting and look closer at those toe headed children Sersei kept providing him AFTER his true son was murdered by Grand Meister Pysell shortly after birth.

That woulda started some serious shidt and taken the story in a whole different direction and probably not have lasted quite so long... Then again, the author does like to kill off people with joyous abandon, so who knows what alternate characters would have popped up as a result.

grimreefer

I've never seen an episode, but I have read the books.

Books are always better than the films anyway.

B)

Don't worry, they said, he'll finish the books WAY before the TV show ends, they said...

:tantrum:

Edited by grimreefer

MontyPython

Don't worry, they said, he'll finish the books WAY before the TV show ends, they said...

:tantrum:

:whistling:

Howsithangin

Can't happen. When last seen, Drogo was disrupting the fur trade in 18th century Quebec.

Now that’s a fantastic series too!

I have a thing for historical dranmas, and the setting is beautiful

Edited by Howsithangin

Moderator T

I've never seen an episode, but I have read the books.

Books are always better than the films anyway.

B)

THe books are good, and at this point the show is significantly different in certain respects, such as cutting out Lady Stoneheart. Sadly I don't think GRRM will finish the book series.

Can't happen. When last seen, Drogo was disrupting the fur trade in 18th century Quebec.

You mean ruling the seas and fighting alongside Wonder Woman?

MontyPython

THe books are good, and at this point the show is significantly different in certain respects, such as cutting out Lady Stoneheart. Sadly I don't think GRRM will finish the book series.

Yeah, sadly, I agree. Maybe they'll bring in another writer to finish it for him, the way they did for the "Wheel of Time" series after Robert Jordan died.

As for any differences between the books and the show, that's why I'd always rather read the books. No movie (or series or TV show or whatever) has ever remained 100% faithful to the books they're supposed to be based on.

B)

Moderator T

Yeah, sadly, I agree. Maybe they'll bring in another writer to finish it for him, the way they did for the "Wheel of Time" series after Robert Jordan died.

That's be good, and interestingly, the man they brought in to finish Wheel of Time, Brandon Sanderson, is pretty well known for finishing many projects. He has something like 4 ongoing series he's writing, with several stand alone novels in between. He's also a phenomenal fantasy author. His Stormlight Archive and Mistborn series are awesome. Another good author who unfortunately suffers from the issues of GRRM is Patrick Rothfuss.

As for any differences between the books and the show, that's why I'd always rather read the books. No movie (or series or TV show or whatever) has ever remained 100% faithful to the books they're supposed to be based on.

B)

And honestly they shouldn't be 100% faithful as some things that are easy to portray in print are impossible to portray in film. When it comes to cutting or merging characters in a book with hundreds, or deleting some minor storylines, I'm fine with it. When it comes to rewriting the whole work such as in Starship Troopers or World War Z, I take exception.

MontyPython

That's be good, and interestingly, the man they brought in to finish Wheel of Time, Brandon Sanderson, is pretty well known for finishing many projects. He has something like 4 ongoing series he's writing, with several stand alone novels in between. He's also a phenomenal fantasy author. His Stormlight Archive and Mistborn series are awesome. Another good author who unfortunately suffers from the issues of GRRM is Patrick Rothfuss.

And honestly they shouldn't be 100% faithful as some things that are easy to portray in print are impossible to portray in film. When it comes to cutting or merging characters in a book with hundreds, or deleting some minor storylines, I'm fine with it. When it comes to rewriting the whole work such as in Starship Troopers or World War Z, I take exception.

All good points. I definitely understand how impossible it would be to portray every detail exactly as presented in a book. And even in those cases where possible, still a very time-consuming burden. Every movie based on a lengthy book would have to be 57 hours long, LOL.

And again, that's why I'd really just rather read the book. If I can do both, fine. But if I must choose between reading the book and skipping the show, or watching the show and skipping the book, I'll choose reading the book every time.

:yes:

Moderator T

All good points. I definitely understand how impossible it would be to portray every detail exactly as presented in a book. And even in those cases where possible, still a very time-consuming burden. Every movie based on a lengthy book would have to be 57 hours long, LOL.

And again, that's why I'd really just rather read the book. If I can do both, fine. But if I must choose between reading the book and skipping the show, or watching the show and skipping the book, I'll choose reading the book every time.

:yes:

If you like fantasy, definitely check out Sanderson and Rothfuss's works

Hieronymous

You mean ruling the seas and fighting alongside Wonder Woman?

I thought that was Vinnie Chase

zurg

If you like fantasy, definitely check out Sanderson and Rothfuss's works

Or the communist manifesto.

grimreefer

Or the communist manifesto.

Or the green new deal!

I WIN!!! :happydance:

:cool:

First Sarge

B)

I will always read "Honor Harrington" and "Safehold" by David Weber, anything by David Drake, Elizabeth Moon and Eric Flint.

Edited by First Sarge

First Sarge

The Starship Troopers movie was a travesty, should have put a disclaimer before the movie stating "We kept the names, but changed everything else"

Moderator T

The Starship Troopers movie was a travesty, should have put a disclaimer before the movie stating "We kept the names, but changed everything else"

I know. One was a commentary on 50's America, one was a cheesy 90's action film. World War Z wasn't much better. The book was a series of short stories collected by a man travelling after the zombie apocalypse is over. The movie is Brad Pitt fighting legions upon legions of zombies.

Dean Adam Smithee

Yeah, you got that right. Seriously. The script and the plot were actually lifted from a completely UNRELATED B-movie script "Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine" and then they licensed the title from the Heinlein estate.

I think Heinlein would have approved of the meme of "earning" citizenship. And certain other bits and pieces.

I'd LIKE to think director Paul Verhoeven was 'paying homage' to Heinlein and in the back of his mind was think this was the sort of story Heinlein WOULD write.

LOL, that's not how Hollywood works. More likely, some studio exec said to Verhoeven, "We've got this B-movie sci-fi script that's been sitting on the shelf since the Roger Corman days. We've licensed a name from Heinlein's widow. See what you can do with it." Verhoeven probably needed the cash.

Still, it's not a BAD movie in it's own way, as a modernized slicked-up throwback to the golden age of sci-fi/horror.

Oh, and the totally gratuitous but obligatory shower scene with nekkid wimmen? (Apparently "Space Command" doesn't enlist any fat or ugly girls)? I could name at least ten different Roger Corman and/or Andy Sidaris B-films that they STOLE that from.

tailgunner

On a side note. While looking for movies by Andy Sidaris. I found a James Garner movie called The Racing Scene (1969). Turns out he did have his own car racing team and this movie is about it.

gravelrash

Am I the only person here who not only has never watched an episode, but also, has never even heard anything about this show--except its cool title.

(Although, actually, it makes me think of a bunch of toilets playing Parcheesi.)

Heard of the show. Never have watched.

Hieronymous

As an adaptation of Heinleins book it failed. But if you can block that out and convince yourself that you are watching a campy sci-fi movie, then it is solid entertainment.

zurg

Or the green new deal!

I WIN!!! :happydance:

:cool:

:thumbsup:

Believe it or not, I was HOPING someone would respond with that!

Howsithangin

As an adaptation of Heinleins book it failed. But if you can block that out and convince yourself that you are watching a campy sci-fi movie, then it is solid entertainment.

good summary. concur

It's a rainy day bubble gum for the brain type movie. Nothing more

Tea Party Hooligan

Am I the only person here who not only has never watched an episode, but also, has never even heard anything about this show--except its cool title.

(Although, actually, it makes me think of a bunch of toilets playing Parcheesi.)

We (you) are not alone.