To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

A mayor reportedly said her city isn’t ready for black leader. A counc

Rate this topic

Ladybird

A mayor reportedly said her city isn’t ready for black leader. A council member went further.

May 7 at 11:27 PM

Excerpt:

A Georgia mayor is facing bipartisan calls to resign following a report that she dismissed a candidate for a top city position based on his race. Racist remarks from one of her defenders further inflamed the controversy, revealing what some say are outdated racial attitudes long pervasive in a small, predominantly white city.

The drama came to a head Monday in Hoschton — located in Jackson County, Ga. — after the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that Mayor Theresa Kenerly withdrew the application of Keith Henry, a finalist for city administrator, “because he is black, and the city isn’t ready for this.”

She allegedly whispered the remark to a city council member on March 4 during a closed-door session, the AJC reported, citing interviews with city officials and documents it obtained through records requests. One of the documents, written that day by Councilwoman Hope Weeks, claimed the mayor doubled down on her comments in the parking lot after the meeting.

“She proceeded to tell me that the candidate was real good, but he was black and we don’t have a big black population and she just didn’t think Hoschton was ready,” Weeks wrote.

The mayor disputed the allegations in a statement to the AJC, denying she made any comments that “suggest prejudice.” But the story has reverberated rapidly among Hoschton’s nearly 2000 residents and cast a negative light on the city’s leadership — a tenuous situation exacerbated by longtime city councilman Jim Cleveland, who defended the mayor.

“I understand Theresa saying that, simply because we’re not Atlanta. Things are different here than they are 50 miles down the road,” he told the AJC. “I don’t know how they would take it if we selected a black administrator. She might have been right,” he added.

Then, he delivered an unprompted declamation on interracial marriage, which he said makes his “blood boil.”

“I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live.”

Numerous calls to Hoschton City Hall were not returned Tuesday. A voice mail and email to the city’s public relations coordinator were not returned, either. Emails to the mayor and council members involved in the situation were not returned Tuesday afternoon.

Pete Fuller, chairman of the Jackson County Democratic Party, told The Washington Post that Hoschton is about 80 percent white, but its demographics are rapidly changing, creating a growing rift between the city’s older residents and younger people moving into the area. Cleveland’s comments, in tandem with the allegations against Kenerly, could stymie efforts to diversify the city, he said.

<snip>

Link

Alrighty then..

Hieronymous

If he is a Christian, why the issue with interracial marriage?

Ladybird

So out of left field too. Nobody asked him.

I don’t think it was BYU, but there was some religios university that forbid its students from mixing.

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

I don’t think it was BYU, but there was some religios university that forbid its students from mixing.

Thanks for throwing shade (unsourced and undocumented) on my University.) :thumbsdown:

Ladybird

Thanks for throwing shade (unsourced and undocumented) on my University.) :thumbsdown:

I said I don’t think it’s BYU. How is that throwing shade? It was the first one to come to mind because of the stricter code of personal conduct.

Anyway, it was Bob Jones U.

zurg

I said I don’t think it’s BYU. How is that throwing shade? It was the first one to come to mind because of the stricter code of personal conduct.

I don’t think it was Ladybird who advocated castrations for conservative white males, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

Anyway, it was the other guy.

MontyPython

Well said. What he refers to as his "Christian Beliefs" are found nowhere in the Bible.

B)

E Van der Vliet

This is all over the radio here. Dip<censored>'s needs to be booted out. Nowhere in the bible does it say anything about interracial marriage.

With all the blowback, there is no way these idiots survive this.

To actually say "it makes my blood boil" when he sees interracial marriages, wow! Just wow!!

Guess I made his blood boil a number of years ago when I was married to my daughters mother. Wonder how he "feels" when he see's my interracial child? What an asswipe redneck bigot!!!

Way to make my state look bad, you <censored>!!

Severian

This is all over the radio here. Dip<censored>'s needs to be booted out. Nowhere in the bible does it say anything about interracial marriage.

To actually say "it makes my blood boil" when he sees interracial marriages, wow! Just wow!!

Guess I made his blood boil a number of years ago when I was married to my daughters mother. Wonder how he "feels" when he see's my interracial child? What an asswipe redneck bigot!!!

It's funny, I live in a small Georgia town, and I see more mixed race couples here than I ever did in the big city of Orlando, mixed meaning black/white, not a lot of Asians here. This guy has managed to make the state look bad and is an outlier from what I've seen. Dipstick.

The third season of "Hap And Leonard" is about a murder mystery in a small Texas town with attitudes a lot like this guy.

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

It's funny, I live in a small Georgia town, and I see more mixed race couples here than I ever did in the big city of Orlando, mixed meaning black/white, not a lot of Asians here. This guy has managed to make the state look bad and is an outlier from what I've seen. Dipstick.

The third season of "Hap And Leonard" is about a murder mystery in a small Texas town with attitudes a lot like this guy.

Stay tuned for the next episode of "Archie Buncker, city council member.

This reminds me of years ago I attended a town council meeting where a group of students from my kid's school were getting scholarship awards. The elderly (democrat) politician turned to me and said, "look at all those pick-a-ninnies." I had never heard anyone ever use that term. I wish now I'd said, "what a racist thing to say!" But I just scooched over as far as I could from him and didn't acknowledge him for the rest of the time. I don't know. Maybe he assumed because I was "white" I thought the same way. Jerk.

Edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D)

ASE

BYU doesn't do that, just for the record, and I don't know why you would mention them. Now you have put that in people's head. Thanx much! NOT!!

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

Why I was annoyed with you:

Here are two examples,

1.) There was a woman who went nuts and shot everyone on her street. I don't think it was Ladybird, but it was some whack-job who did it.

2.) I heard of a person who liked to feed poison to kids on Halloween. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ladybird, but it was someone who felt like All's Hallowed Eve was a pagan ritual that should be eliminated.

Throwing shade: Making a negative statement, then writing "but I don't think it was BYU."

The implication here is, "but it might have been," or "but it wouldn't surprise me if they did something like that."

And I know that you explained your post by saying that BYU has a strict honor code, but still, even to suggest it causally implies that there "might" be a no inter-racial dating clause in it.

Edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D)

Ladybird

Why I was annoyed with you:

Here are two examples,

1.) There was a woman who went nuts and shot everyone on her street. I don't think it was Ladybird, but it was some whack-job who did it.

2.) I heard of a person who liked to feed poison to kids on Halloween. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ladybird, but it was someone who felt like All's Hallowed Eve was a pagan ritual that should be eliminated.

Throwing shade: Making a negative statement, then writing "but I don't think it was BYU."

The implication here is, "but it might have been," or "but it wouldn't surprise me if they did something like that."

And I know that you explained your post by saying that BYU has a strict honor code, but still, even to suggest it causally implies that there "might" be a no inter-racial dating clause in it.

I apologize for besmirching your school.

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

I apologize for besmirching your school.

Thanks. Apology accepted.

zurg

I’m in an interracial marriage, my wife of almost 30 years is Asian (by race). We have run across the occasional white person who’s racist (“I must see your kids if you have any”), the occasional unaccepting Asian person (not even talking to us, or saying something about stealing one from the tribe), and the occasional black person (making other crass remarks that are race based).

It’s an equal opportunity situation, not limited to those who believe themselves to be Christians.

Here ends my whataboutism.

Severian

Maybe she should question whether the town is ready for a female mayor...just sayin. :insanity:

Hieronymous

That was The University of Makers Mark. No mixing and no ice.

Bookdoc

Im in an interracial marriage, my wife of almost 30 years is Asian (by race). We have run across the occasional white person whos racist (I must see your kids if you have any), the occasional unaccepting Asian person (not even talking to us, or saying something about stealing one from the tribe), and the occasional black person (making other crass remarks that are race based).

Its an equal opportunity situation, not limited to those who believe themselves to be Christians.

My brother married an incredibly beautiful (and way too good for him) Asian girl whose mother was Japanese and father was a sergeant from Georgia. They raised 2 great kids. He moved a lot on business and said the only prejudice he ever saw was from Japanese. A side note. I had heard about Japanese women being pushy and she IS. However, it is probably the reason my brother is alive and well in his 70's!

Edited by Bookdoc

zurg

My brother marries an incredibly beautiful (and way too good for him) Asian girl whose mother was Japanese and father was a sergeant from Georgia. They raised 2 great kids. He moved a lot on business and said the only prejudice he ever saw was from Japanese. A side note. I had heard about Japanese women being pushy and she IS. However, it is probably the reason my brother is alive and well in his 70's!

:thumbsup: I believe it!

E Van der Vliet

I’m in an interracial marriage, my wife of almost 30 years is Asian (by race). We have run across the occasional white person who’s racist (“I must see your kids if you have any”), the occasional unaccepting Asian person (not even talking to us, or saying something about stealing one from the tribe), and the occasional black person (making other crass remarks that are race based).

It’s an equal opportunity situation, not limited to those who believe themselves to be Christians.

Not by choice? How so very odd?

;)

E Van der Vliet

theresa-kenerly.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

You can take the girl out of the trailer, but you cannot take the trailer out of the girl. Needs more hairspray!

E Van der Vliet

Jim%20Cleveland%20-%20City%20of%20Hoschton_1557346497380.png_86745748_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

This man, as you recall, has black friends. Just don't have em marry his daughter now!!!! That is against the bible and stuff!!

Faces of bigots. <_<

Noclevermoniker

I hope the leftists will take note of the universal condemnation of the person in question.

Wait, what?

Ticked@TinselTown

We had a half black President who was on vacation for 8 years on our tab, and when he did show up, he emboldened our enemies, racial division, class warfare and demeaned and demoralized America and her people during his entire tenure, echoed by his titular wife and his entire administration.

I have no problem saying that we don't need political leaders who expect to be elected because of their skin color.

Moderator T

We had a half black President who was on vacation for 8 years on our tab, and when he did show up, he emboldened our enemies, racial division, class warfare and demeaned and demoralized America and her people during his entire tenure, echoed by his titular wife and his entire administration.

None of which has anything to do with his race.

I have no problem saying that we don't need political leaders who expect to be elected because of their skin color.

Was that the case here? Seems that the only people making an issue of his race were the mayor and council member