Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Third grade class takes action after finding error in workbook

Rate this topic

Ladybird

UPDATED ON: JUNE 18, 2019 / 10:00 PM / CBS NEWS

Excerpt:

Oneonta, N.Y.— At Valley View Elementary School in Oneonta, New York, a third grade class was feeling more than a little frustrated when they discovered a problem in a math workbook. It said "Christopher Columbus landed in America." "America," they said, refers to what is now the United States of America.

"They immediately protested because they knew that Columbus didn't land in the United States of America, he landed in the Caribbean islands," said teacher Ken Sider.

So they voted to send a letter to the publisher asking that the wording be changed.

"This was student-led. This was entirely their idea," Sider said

<snip>

These kids are paying attention in class..

On a side note, I volunteered at this school for a semester for my child psychology class.

Edited by Ladybird

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

There are so many errors in textbooks. (I subbed for years.) Good for these kids.

oki

There are so many errors in textbooks. (I subbed for years.) Good for these kids.

Yup, often a person wonders if the 'error' was an accident or on purpose because it's so blatant.

Oki

Ladybird

Yup, often a person wonders if the 'error' was an accident or on purpose because it's so blatant.

Oki

I think it’s that (purposeful), and also laziness.

Taggart Transcontinental

Excerpt:

Oneonta, N.Y.— At Valley View Elementary School in Oneonta, New York, a third grade class was feeling more than a little frustrated when they discovered a problem in a math workbook. It said "Christopher Columbus landed in America." "America," they said, refers to what is now the United States of America.

"They immediately protested because they knew that Columbus didn't land in the United States of America, he landed in the Caribbean islands," said teacher Ken Sider.

So they voted to send a letter to the publisher asking that the wording be changed.

<snip>

On a side note, I volunteered at this school for a semester taking child psychology.

Sorry, this qualifier indicates to me that this guy is full of it. If this was student led why would you have to qualify it?

Coach

I once sat on a review panel for new editions of history texts in Volusia County Florida. The worst were those authored by Zinn. Another problem was how ignorant younger members of the panel were.

gravelrash

One of my favorite temp jobs was editing workbooks for Omaha Public Schools. The job was mostly making sure the format was consistent using WordPerfect. Because I am conversational in German and French, the department heads listened to my suggestions and some of my input made it into the final product. Even my hobby of religion and mythology made into Spanish class (Aztec compared to Mayan beliefs).

That these kids know or were taught that Columbus landed in the West Indies gives me a sliver of hope that practical education is still out there.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Sorry, this qualifier indicates to me that this guy is full of it. If this was student led why would you have to qualify it?

:exactly:

Kids always get these ideas from adults, activist adults IE their teachers.

Novaprime

I'm just shocked that they knew who he was. I thought they weren't teaching that anymore. History goes back too far and it takes too much time to teach all that "old stuff", you know, History. Sorry, local schools kind of skip over certain points in history, because. (they don't have a real excuse)

Taggart Transcontinental

I'm just shocked that they knew who he was. I thought they weren't teaching that anymore. History goes back too far and it takes too much time to teach all that "old stuff", you know, History. Sorry, local schools kind of skip over certain points in history, because. (they don't have a real excuse)

Yeah I agree, my education of the Viet Nam war was about like this. We entered a war, then we lost, any questions?

Ladybird

Yeah I agree, my education of the Viet Nam war was about like this. We entered a war, then we lost, any questions?

We never discussed Vietnam. Actually the textbooks we used in Jr. High (mid 70’s) were so old, it essentially hadn’t happened yet. Neither did the 69 moon landing.

Black history consisted of Lincoln freeing the slaves, Rosa Parks not moving on the bus, and the MLK assassination. My 7th grade English teacher was perturbed by this, so he incorporated black history into reading assignments.

Dean Adam Smithee

You youngster, you. When I was in school it was still "Current Events" not "History".

"Current Events" was a 9th or 10th grade class. Troops had been pulled out of Vietnam by then, but Saigon hadn't yet fallen.

MontyPython

You youngster, you. When I was in school it was still "Current Events" not "History".

"Current Events" was a 9th or 10th grade class. Troops had been pulled out of Vietnam by then, but Saigon hadn't yet fallen.

Yeah, same here, except we called it "Social Studies". And since the Vietnam War was still going on when I was in high school, it was considered Social Studies, not History.

But I understand those previous comments and agree: The "History" they teach in school these days is just plain incomplete and insufficient. And in many cases just plain untrue.

B)

Weaseljd

Excerpt:

<snip>

On a side note, I volunteered at this school for a semester for my child psychology class.

No, the kids are not paying attention, and in fact, were wrong. First, the America's refers to all the land in the western hemisphere, not just the United States. Hence calling the continents NORTH AMERICA and SOUTH AMERICA. America is accurate.

But if you want to get nitpicky, the kids are still WRONG. Historians place landfall for Columbus as likely being in the Bahama's. The Bahama's are north of Cuba, and properly part of the Atlantic and not the Caribbean Sea. So the precious 3rd graders were wrong on both accounts.

So much for demanding a correction in a text book when the correction would have been more technically wrong than the statement they were trying to correct.

Oh well.

MontyPython

No, the kids are not paying attention, and in fact, were wrong. First, the America's refers to all the land in the western hemisphere, not just the United States. Hence calling the continents NORTH AMERICA and SOUTH AMERICA. America is accurate.

But if you want to get nitpicky, the kids are still WRONG. Historians place landfall for Columbus as likely being in the Bahama's. The Bahama's are north of Cuba, and properly part of the Atlantic and not the Caribbean Sea. So the precious 3rd graders were wrong on both accounts.

So much for demanding a correction in a text book when the correction would have been more technically wrong than the statement they were trying to correct.

Oh well.

Hmmm...Those are pretty good points.

And here's something that baffles me: The article clearly says the "error" was found in a math book.

Huh?

:scratch:

Ladybird

Oh well.

It didn’t say “the Americas”. The textbook said Columbus landed in America, which is still correct, but not clear. The textbook has been adjusted for clarity.

Severian

And here's something that baffles me: The article clearly says the "error" was found in a math book.

Huh?

If Columbus landed in America with 1000 lead bullets, 50 muskets, and 100 lbs of black powder, how many Native Americans could he kill and enslave before running out of ammunition?

I am DERPTACUS!

zurg

Huh?

That was going to be my first point :lol:. I figured you’d beat me to it!

My planned response was going to be (as I was going through responses, hoping no one had thought of this....actually hoping Monty hadn’t read it yet because I just knew you’d pick up on that little point!):

“The kids discovered another error, this time in their history textbook, which claimed that 3*2=5”

Oh well...

MontyPython

If Columbus landed in America with 1000 lead bullets, 50 muskets, and 100 lbs of black powder, how many Native Americans could he kill and enslave before running out of ammunition?

I am DERPTACUS!

I was gonna be clever and say "Zero, because they had no flints!", until I remembered flintlock firearms hadn't been invented yet.

:blush:

MontyPython

That was going to be my first point :lol:. I figured you’d beat me to it!

My planned response was going to be (as I was going through responses, hoping no one had thought of this....actually hoping Monty hadn’t read it yet because I just knew you’d pick up on that little point!):

“The kids discovered another error, this time in their history textbook, which claimed that 3*2=5”

Oh well...

;)

House MD

Excerpt:

This reminds me of an episode of Tim Allen's Last Man Standing, were they wanted to change the names of Boyds' Elementary school because the school is named after Louis and Clark, because one of them was a "Slave Owner", cut to the chase their housekeeper Blanca said how about a man who discover america 200 years before their Louis and Clark, Vasco Nunez de balboa.

Dean Adam Smithee

Huh?

If the westbound Pinta, Nina and Santa Maria left Lisbon Portugal (38.7223° N, 9.1393° W) traveling at 20 knots at a vector of 15 degrees south, encountered 5 knot southward current for the for the first 1,000 km and then a 10 knot northward current for the next 500 km, what is the average west-bound velocity relative to the equator? LOL.

But, don't laugh, that's a "real world" math problem. And I'll bet the several pilots amongst y'all would know how to solve it. (And Me Too as a Navy guy). Instruments are nice, but, what if you suddenly don't have them???

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

It didn’t say “the Americas”. The textbook said Columbus landed in America, which is still correct, but not clear. The textbook has been adjusted for clarity.

But it did not actually stipulate which of the two that it was?

You're assuming.

So Weaseljd is correct.

Howsithangin

The worst were those authored by Zinn. Another problem was how ignorant younger members of the panel were.

Zinn? The maxist revisionist. Very nice.

As to the latter, we're caught in a do-loop. The first bunch of idiots grew up to become stupid teachers, who begat stupid students, who grew up to become stupid teachers, who... etc

Howsithangin

Oh well.

:)