To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Third grade class takes action after finding error in workbook

Rate this topic

Hieronymous

There are so many errors in textbooks. (I subbed for years.) Good for these kids.

Not positive Amerigo Vespucci "discovered" America either. Read a book years ago about the 3 voyages Columbus made to the New World, and a section of it cast doubt on Vespucci's claim. I would have to read it again to get specifics, but I do remember the book itself was really good. It certainly didn't lionize Columbus, but gave a very interesting account of each of the voyages.

JerryL

We never discussed Vietnam. Actually the textbooks we used in Jr. High (mid 70’s) were so old, it essentially hadn’t happened yet. Neither did the 69 moon landing.

Black history consisted of Lincoln freeing the slaves, Rosa Parks not moving on the bus, and the MLK assassination. My 7th grade English teacher was perturbed by this, so he incorporated black history into reading assignments.

I think that Taggart is bit younger than you and I!

I was thinking the same thing. It's kind of hard to get "history" that ended in 75 into a curriculum, textbooks, and then schools in 6 years. Then I remembered that not everyone here is as old as I am.

Edited by JerryL

oki

I was thinking the same thing. It's kind of hard to get "history" that ended in 75 into a curriculum, textbooks, and then schools in 6 years. Then I remembered that not everyone here is as old as I am.

An interesting point, which is more historic: The first person to do something, or the first person of X race or color to do something?

If we are all truly equal then I would think it's former as they are essentially in un charted territory, while the latter may simply be inspirational as the obstacles overcome are largely political or societal and not physical or necessarily technological.

Oki

Hieronymous

No, the kids are not paying attention, and in fact, were wrong. First, the America's refers to all the land in the western hemisphere, not just the United States. Hence calling the continents NORTH AMERICA and SOUTH AMERICA. America is accurate.

But if you want to get nitpicky, the kids are still WRONG. Historians place landfall for Columbus as likely being in the Bahama's. The Bahama's are north of Cuba, and properly part of the Atlantic and not the Caribbean Sea. So the precious 3rd graders were wrong on both accounts.

So much for demanding a correction in a text book when the correction would have been more technically wrong than the statement they were trying to correct.

Oh well.

I have also read he originally landed on Hispaniola.

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Voyages-Christopher-Columbus-Classics-ebook/dp/B002RI9JA0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1I12A57YNBQ1T&keywords=christopher+columbus+book&qid=1561469920&s=gateway&sprefix=books+on+columbus%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-3

Link to the book I noted in a previous post. In fact there were 4 voyages. Guess it HAS been a long time since I read it. Definitely worthwhile.

Here is another, by the man who wrote an excellent book on Magellan. One thing for certain, these men endured hardship that is unfathomable today.

https://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Voyages-1492-1504-Laurence-Bergreen-ebook/dp/B0052RDJ5Y/ref=pd_rhf_cr_s_cr_simh_0_2/131-0686653-4122860?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0052RDJ5Y&pd_rd_r=63514d55-f92d-4028-a025-80265e5c1ee3&pd_rd_w=U2f7p&pd_rd_wg=FwcWE&pf_rd_p=31caee8f-ce20-49ad-9f29-d71df297ad52&pf_rd_r=J4RZ0K0Y7KJ2W7X28SGN&psc=1&refRID=J4RZ0K0Y7KJ2W7X28SGN

Edited by Hieronymous

stick

I think it’s that (purposeful), and also laziness.

The solution to this problem is obviously more money for schools. /Democrat

Dean Adam Smithee

No, the kids are not paying attention, and in fact, were wrong. First, the America's refers to all the land in the western hemisphere, not just the United States. Hence calling the continents NORTH AMERICA and SOUTH AMERICA. America is accurate.

But if you want to get nitpicky, the kids are still WRONG. Historians place landfall for Columbus as likely being in the Bahama's. The Bahama's are north of Cuba, and properly part of the Atlantic and not the Caribbean Sea. So the precious 3rd graders were wrong on both accounts.

So much for demanding a correction in a text book when the correction would have been more technically wrong than the statement they were trying to correct.

Oh well.

I'll give you 1/2 credit. ;)

Yes, The Americas" is accurate for the reasons you stated.

BUT... while the Bahamas aren't in the actual Caribbean Sea, they ARE considered part of the "Caribbean Islands". Source #1: Wikipedia: List of Caribbean Islands. Source #2: Caribbean Journal: The 19 Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in 2019 in which Abaco in the Bahamas is listed as #2: "Abaco Island hopping. Out-of-this-world beaches. Deep sea fishing. Golf. Boating. The island chain of Abaco might be the most complete destination in The Bahamas, and it’s one of the best-kept secrets in hemisphere — from historic towns to charming little island hotels to some of the most legendary bars in the Caribbean. It’s a Caribbean destination for people who are in love with the Caribbean. In other words – it’s just about perfect — and it’s time to discover it."

Taggart Transcontinental

If the westbound Pinta, Nina and Santa Maria left Lisbon Portugal (38.7223° N, 9.1393° W) traveling at 20 knots at a vector of 15 degrees south, encountered 5 knot southward current for the for the first 1,000 km and then a 10 knot northward current for the next 500 km, what is the average west-bound velocity relative to the equator? LOL.

But, don't laugh, that's a "real world" math problem. And I'll bet the several pilots amongst y'all would know how to solve it. (And Me Too as a Navy guy). Instruments are nice, but, what if you suddenly don't have them???

That is why God invented RNAV, and INU's. So we don't have to do that idiotic math and we can focus on more important things.

Taggart Transcontinental

<----- 1969 (birth) so I grew up in the 80's and graduated high school in 1987. So yes we had a page or two on Vietnam.

Howsithangin

I'll give you 1/2 credit. ;)

Yes, The Americas" is accurate for the reasons you stated.

BUT... while the Bahamas aren't in the actual Caribbean Sea, they ARE considered part of the "Caribbean Islands". Source #1: Wikipedia: List of Caribbean Islands. Source #2: Caribbean Journal: The 19 Best Caribbean Islands to Visit in 2019 in which Abaco in the Bahamas is listed as #2: "Abaco Island hopping. Out-of-this-world beaches. Deep sea fishing. Golf. Boating. The island chain of Abaco might be the most complete destination in The Bahamas, and it’s one of the best-kept secrets in hemisphere — from historic towns to charming little island hotels to some of the most legendary bars in the Caribbean. It’s a Caribbean destination for people who are in love with the Caribbean. In other words – it’s just about perfect — and it’s time to discover it."

I would refrain from using Wikipedia as a source for anything other than celebrity birthdays.

Mr. Naron

I don’t know. As a history teacher, I’d appreciate ANY level of interest in getting it right. However, I get the same vibe from this as I get from those annoying fact checkers at WaPo.

ASE

There are so many errors in textbooks. (I subbed for years.) Good for these kids.

When I was in school, it was quite an awakening when I first found an error in a textbook. Up to that time, I figured those books were the last word on what is fact or not. At that point I began to think more on things and begin to question 'authority'. My favorite question (mostly to myself since kids are only allowed to question 'authority' in a limited fashion) was 'authority according to whom?', and I no longer blindly accepted things. Quite a profound realization for a kid.

Severian

When I was in school, it was quite an awakening when I first found an error in a textbook. Up to that time, I figured those books were the last word on what is fact or not. At that point I began to think more on things and begin to question 'authority'. My favorite question (mostly to myself since kids are only allowed to question 'authority' in a limited fashion) was 'authority according to whom?', and I no longer blindly accepted things. Quite a profound realization for a kid.

I reached that stage early on, especially in the late 60's while in elementary school when I watched the UK TV show "The Prisoner." All the brutality, forced conformity, ulterior motives, and group vs. individual freedom things that happened in the Village were done in real life in the microcosm of school. Gave me a better idea of the world and that fighting for your right to be an individual not a nodding bobble head groupthink member was not only possible but well worth it. Might not have helped my "assimilation" into "society" but who cares?

ASE

That would depend on the type of 'society' they want you to assimilate into, eh? Probably not the 'from each according to his ability, and to each according to his need' type of society... Run from that one as fast / far as you can.

Edited by ASE