To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
MTP Reggie

10 Different Pizza Crust Varieties: Which is Best for You?

Rate this topic

Moderator T

You mean the Sicilian (i.e. WAY too much crust)? I agree; Cake with pizza toppings.

If it has the consistency of cake, there's a problem. I love Detroit Style, which is a bit of a cross between Sicilian and pan.

But deep dish made properly? Nope, that's how God intended.

:yes:

Yes, I too like casseroles, which is exactly what deep dish is. Giordano's deep dish (specifically their "stuffed pie") is amazing.

Howsithangin

You mean the Sicilian (i.e. WAY too much crust)? I agree; Cake with pizza toppings.

But deep dish made properly? Nope, that's how God intended.

I was indeed referring to Sicilian-style.

I've only eaten it twice---way, way, waaaayyy too much bread. IMHO, the bread is simply an edible utensil to shovel the cheesy, saucy goodness into one's mouth. :D

Howsithangin

Thin crust Neapolitan all the way. Best balance of crust and toppings and .... calories too.

A lot of the old world European style pizzas are like that. I can’t stand the doughy over filled deep dish ones - sorry to those who love them! If I want that much sauce I’ll have spaghetti bolognese.

I don't want that much bread either, but I like my pies swimming in homemade sauce; so much so that when you lift a slice, it drops off. These stragglers are then scooped up with the crusts. :)

MTP Reggie

I actually make better sauce than any joint I've ever tried. I make a Roma tomato sauce from my garden. There is nothing in it but Roma tomatoes. When I go to make pizza at home, I add sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, fresh basil, fresh oregano, fresh parsley and just a touch of apple cider vinegar. If I want it spicy, I may add a little dried, crushed cayenne pepper. Note that the basil, oregano, parsley and cayennes are also all from my garden.

Oathtaker

For me, it's a neopolitan-style crust, although I don't need it wood-fired. I just like thin and crispy pizza crust. I may eat other style pizzas in a pinch, but not usually if I had a choice.

Thin and crispy... me too.

Like a cracker...

MontyPython

I was indeed referring to Sicilian-style.

I've only eaten it twice---way, way, waaaayyy too much bread. IMHO, the bread is simply an edible utensil to shovel the cheesy, saucy goodness into one's mouth. :D

Exactly. Every pizza needs a crust. And deep-dish made properly has exactly the right amount.

MTP Reggie

Exactly. Every pizza needs a crust. And deep-dish made properly has exactly the right amount.

You sound nervous...

MontyPython

You sound nervous...

LOL. Took me a second to grasp the reference.

;)

MTP Reggie

LOL. Took me a second to grasp the reference.

;)

:lol3:

Mrdirt73

Mellow Mushroom is very good pizza. I had it in Franklin, TN a few times.

I've eaten at that one a couple of times before too. Are you from the area?

Moderator T

I've eaten at that one a couple of times before too. Are you from the area?

No. My parents lived there for years, and my brother is closer to Nashville, but still in the general area. Last time I was there was 3 Christmas's ago. Its a great area

Mrdirt73

No. My parents lived there for years, and my brother is closer to Nashville, but still in the general area. Last time I was there was 3 Christmas's ago. Its a great area

Cool.

Dean Adam Smithee

You sound nervous...

LOL. Took me a second to grasp the reference

Well, I don't get it. I think of a line from S.O.B (1982)

(anguishing over how to 'handle' the "suicide" of Felix) (And ad-libbing from memory):

"Oh, I am one nervous Jew"

"That's funny, you don't look nervous"

"Aw, cut it out"

"Hey, some of my best friends are nervous".

LOL.

Liz
Neapolitan Pizza — Getting back to our history lesson from above, Neapolitan pizza is credited as being the original Italian pizza. Characterized by its light, slightly crispy texture, Neapolitan pizzas must meet a very specific set of requirements in order to truly be considered an authentic Neapolitan. A true Neapolitan is baked in a wood-fired, domed oven with dough that must be hand-kneaded (no mechanical preparation whatsoever!), no more than 35 centimeters in diameter, and no more than one-third of a centimeter thick at the center. Classic styles include the Margherita and Marinara, and given the impossible-to-replicate flavor and texture of Neapolitan crust from a wood-fired oven, this is the perfect crust for those who want an authentic Italian pizza.

Both my paternal grandparents were authentic Neopolitans and that's just the way I like my pizza.

MontyPython

Well, I don't get it. I think of a line from S.O.B (1982)

(anguishing over how to 'handle' the "suicide" of Felix) (And ad-libbing from memory):

"Oh, I am one nervous Jew"

"That's funny, you don't look nervous"

"Aw, cut it out"

"Hey, some of my best friends are nervous".

LOL.

Great movie, LOL.

:thumbsup:

Both my paternal grandparents were authentic Neopolitans and that's just the way I like my pizza.

:2up:

Edited by MontyPython

Moderator T

As much as I talk up Detroit style pizza, its not my favorite slice of pie. For me the best pizza is bar pizza. Its cheap, a little greasy, thinner crust (but not the "cracker crispy" pizza that's called thin crust), usually square in shape, totally lacking in frills.

MontyPython

As much as I talk up Detroit style pizza, its not my favorite slice of pie. For me the best pizza is bar pizza. Its cheap, a little greasy, thinner crust (but not the "cracker crispy" pizza that's called thin crust), usually square in shape, totally lacking in frills.

But doesn't that depend on the bar? I mean, I've been in a jillion bars that serve pizza, and no two are exactly alike.

B)

Edited by MontyPython

Hieronymous

Which places in Detroit do you like? I basically stuck with Green Lantern, The Alibi, Loui's, Shields, and Buddy's. First 2 are round, last 3 are square.

Moderator T

But doesn't that depend on the bar? I mean, I've been in a jillion bars that serve pizza, and no two are exactly alike.

B)

Maybe its a regional thing, but bar pizza is even listed as a specific style. https://www.pizzacraft.com/blogs/pizzacraft-blog/bar-pizza

Its about as no frills as you can get

Which places in Detroit do you like? I basically stuck with Green Lantern, The Alibi, Loui's, Shields, and Buddy's. First 2 are round, last 3 are square.

Never had pizza up there, but being Detroit adjacent we get bleed over. Jets is by far our best chain pizza in Toledo, and we have a few local places like JCupp's that serve it. Rumor is though Buddy's is opening a location here. I didn't know they served a round Detroit style at The Alibi and Loui's.

BTW if you want true Chicago style deep dish, I saw Giordano's opened a Detroit location. I had it in Chicago and its outstanding.

MontyPython

Maybe its a regional thing, but bar pizza is even listed as a specific style. https://www.pizzacraft.com/blogs/pizzacraft-blog/bar-pizza

Its about as no frills as you can get

Yup, must be a regional thing. In fact the article says they're "popular in New England" and even goes on to name a couple specific places. So that would explain why I wasn't familiar with it.

:shrug:

Dean Adam Smithee

"Detroit Style" pizza: you were a bulletproof vest while eating it.

Moderator T

"Detroit Style" pizza: you were a bulletproof vest while eating it.

Nah the pizza is thick enough to absorb most calibers!