MTP Reggie

A San Diego backyard shed is for rent for $1,050 a month

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

A San Diego backyard shed is for rent for $1,050 a month

By Gabrielle Sorto, CNN

Updated 7:17 AM ET, Thu October 3, 2019

<More Here>

(CNN)If you're in the market to rent a home in San Diego, this backyard shed could be yours for a whopping $1,050 a month. Yes, really.

The studio is located in the backyard of a home in the North Park neighborhood, which is one of the city's most walkable neighborhoods. The listing calls the shed a studio, but neighbors aren't exactly convinced.

"I was amazed it was going for that much money," Joe Moreno, who lives nearby, told CNN affiliate KGTV. "Does it have plumbing? I mean, does it have facilities?"

The 200-square-foot studio apartment does have plumbing, an air conditioner, stove and small refrigerator. It doesn't, however, have a washer and dryer or parking, the listing said. While the rent seems outrageous to some, the asking price is $300 per month less than a typical studio in the area. The company renting out the property, J.D. Property Management, doesn't expect to have an issue with the price, considering the former tenant paid $1,100 a month for two years.

"Maybe it is high for what it is offered at, but the reality is that the square footage and the location is exactly what this market needs," housing industry analyst Alan Nevin told KGTV.

(snip)

<More Here>

oki

Oh gee tell me again why anyone would want to live in Southern California again?

E Van der Vliet

Market “needs?” The market does not “need” a high priced shack to live in. However, the market demands that the price is that high for a shack. .

Sheesh! Californians!!

Ladybird

No wonder there are so many homeless families out there. They should come to upstate NY. The weather might be unbearable and atrocious, but a thousand a month will get you a decent sized place with modern appliances and a place to park.

Natural Selection

Could this be the result of high taxes being passed down to customers until they finally reach someone who can't pass them down?

Hmmmmm....

tailgunner

No wonder there are so many homeless families out there. They should come to upstate NY. The weather might be unbearable and atrocious, but a thousand a month will get you a decent sized place with modern appliances and a place to park.

Your'll assuming they want to work.

Natural Selection

I see A LOT of homeless people here in Chicago. I HAVE NEVER seen one with a sign that said "Looking For Work".

stick

You ARE aware of how local markets work, right? Supply, demand, taxes, insurance and risk would all go into the rent calculation. I would definitely let these people know about the price and availability in upstate New York because I agree they are missing out. Sounds dreamy compared to warm, sunny, dry southern California.

RedSoloCup

Oh gee tell me again why anyone would want to live in Southern California again?

:yeahthat:

Me neither. Living in Illinoise is bad enough!

Could this be the result of high taxes being passed down to customers until they finally reach someone who can't pass them down?

Hmmmmm....

:yes:

oki

:yeahthat:

Me neither. Living in Illinoise is bad enough!

:yes:

Lot's a space to the north. Hell, Sturgeon Bay is even becoming a center for Chicago ex pats...

Wouldn't recommend Milwaukee though, at least not the city itself. Some of the suburbs sure, but not anything which is in Milwaukee. It's either a sh$t hole or a rare area which is nice. But, you really pay a premium for that. Taxes are a bit on the steep side, BUT, by in large a person is left the hell alone.

Hercules

LOL! I lived in Rome, NY for 2 winters. It is beautiful in the Summer though. :)

Severian

Doesn't surprise me. 35 years ago I had an interview at General Dynamics in San Diego. Guy who was assigned to be my handler and walk me around from interview to interview was a retired Navy guy who was an engineer there. He was talking about how he had to move every year as the rental houses he was in kept getting sold out from under him. I thought to myself, he was a career Navy officer, now working as an engineer, and he couldn't afford to crack into the housing market, couldn't afford a house. I looked at housing prices and was just shocked, and that was as I say 35 years ago. Rental prices weren't much better, the equivalent of what I was renting at the time in Florida was over 3 times the price. So, I declined the job offer.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Masochists? :shrug:

Ladybird

LOL! I lived in Rome, NY for 2 winters. It is beautiful in the Summer though. :)

Absolutely, especially near the lakes. It's just not long enough.

Dean Adam Smithee

Jobs.

USNRETWIFE

I've lived in SoCal. Never again. I will keep my little South Dakota prairie town, thank you very much. Not much traffic to fight, nice and quiet. House is paid off and the property taxes are a little under $500 a year. The winters get a little nippy, but look at what good shape one can stay in, shoveling snow from December or January through March or April, sometimes, like this year, even into May. laugh.gif

Ladybird

Jobs.

There are jobs here. I got recruited from 350 miles away because they couldn't find anyone to fill the position.

stick

There are jobs here. I got recruited from 350 miles away because they couldn't find anyone to fill the position.

In the Trump economy? The hell you say...

Dean Adam Smithee

I've lived in SoCal. Never again. I will keep my little South Dakota prairie town, thank you very much. Not much traffic to fight, nice and quiet. House is paid off and the property taxes are a little under $500 a year. The winters get a little nippy, but look at what good shape one can stay in, shoveling snow from December or January through March or April, sometimes, like this year, even into May. laugh.gif

Raised in Toledo OH, then moved to southern Indiana at ~10 YO or so. I have a fondness for Toledo. Recently looked up the house I grew up in in the '60. Your basic "Archie Bunker" style house.

Recently sold for ~30K. HOLY EXCREMENT! My house in Portland, not THAT much different? $529K per zillow these days.

1939starr.png?width=400&height=400&crop=1:1,smart

1939 Starr Avenue, Toledo OH, on the left. Decent neighborhood (at the time. Notice the cut grass if not perfectly "edged" is at least "cut".

Same in a reasonable commute of Atlanta these days? 1/4 $mil without blinking an eye.

Ladybird

In the Trump economy? The hell you say...

I was hired in 2014.. :)

kestrel

Northern Michigan here..they're predicting frost tonight....

Kestrel...

Ladybird

Kestrel...

And day before yesterday it was like 90, right?

Moderator T

Raised in Toledo OH, then moved to southern Indiana at ~10 YO or so. I have a fondness for Toledo. Recently looked up the house I grew up in in the '60. Your basic "Archie Bunker" style house.

Recently sold for ~30K. HOLY EXCREMENT! My house in Portland, not THAT much different? $529K per zillow these days.

1939starr.png?width=400&height=400&crop=1:1,smart

1939 Starr Avenue, Toledo OH, on the left. Decent neighborhood (at the time. Notice the cut grass if not perfectly "edged" is at least "cut".

Same in a reasonable commute of Atlanta these days? 1/4 $mil without blinking an eye.

And 45 mins away from that house in Detroit the same house would sell for $12,000

zurg

Kestrel...

I’m in Holland Michigan on a business trip tonight.... lower 40’s is the prediction... global warming, thanks to man.

PS: I hear northern Lake Michigan and the Peninsula are fantastically beautiful area.

Edited by zurg