To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
MTP Reggie

First Common Core High School Grads Worst-Prepared For College In 15 Y

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

First Common Core High School Grads Worst-Prepared For College In 15 Years

This is the opposite of what we were told would happen with trillions of taxpayer dollars and an entire generation of children who deserve not to have been guinea pigs in a failed national experiment.

By Joy Pullmann

OCTOBER 31, 2019

The Federalist

<More Results Of democrats' Bad Choices Here>

For the third time in a row since Common Core was fully phased in nationwide, U.S. student test scores on the nation's broadest and most respected test have dropped, a reversal of an upward trend between 1990 and 2015. Further, the class of 2019, the first to experience all four high school years under Common Core, is the worst-prepared for college in 15 years, according to a new report.

The National Assessment of Educational Progress is a federally mandated test given every other year in reading and mathematics to students in grades four and eight. (Periodically it also tests other subjects and grade levels.) In the latest results, released Wednesday, American students slid yet again on nearly every measure.

Reading was the worst hit, with both fourth and eighth graders losing ground compared to the last year tested, 2017. Eighth graders also slid in math, although fourth graders improved by one point in math overall. Thanks to Neal McCluskey at the Cato Institute, here's a graph showing the score changes since NAEP was instituted in the 1990s.

naep2019-998x760.jpg

"Students in the U.S. made significant progress in math and reading achievement on NAEP from 1990 until 2015, when the first major dip in achievement scores occurred," reported U.S. News and World Report. Perhaps not coincidentally, 2015 is the year states were required by the Obama administration to have fully phased in Common Core.

Common Core is a set of national instruction and testing mandates implemented starting in 2010 without approval from nearly any legislative body and over waves of bipartisan citizen protests. President Obama, his Education Secretary Arne Duncan, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Bill Gates, and myriad other self-described education reformers promised Common Core would do exactly the opposite of what has happened: improve U.S. student achievement. As Common Core was moving into schools, 69 percent of school principals said they also thought it would improve student achievement. All of these "experts" were wrong, wrong, wrong.

"The results are, frankly, devastating," said U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said in a statement about the 2019 NAEP results. "This country is in a student achievement crisis, and over the past decade it has continued to worsen, especially for our most vulnerable students. Two out of three of our nation's children aren't proficient readers. In fact, fourth grade reading declined in 17 states and eighth grade reading declined in 31."

On the same day the NAEP results were released, the college testing organization ACT released a report showing that the high school class of 2019's college preparedness in English and math is at seniors' lowest levels in 15 years. These students are the first to have completed all four high school years under Common Core.

"Readiness levels in English, reading, math, and science have all decreased since 2015, with English and math seeing the largest decline," the report noted. Student achievement declined on ACT's measures among U.S. students of all races except for Asian-Americans, whose achievement increased.

ACT was one of the myriad organizations that profited from supporting Common Core despite its lack of success for children and taxpayers. Its employees helped develop Common Core and the organization has received millions in taxpayer dollars to help create Common Core tests.

"ACT is one of the best barometers of student progress, and our college-bound kids are doing worse than they have in the ACT's history," said Center for Education Reform CEO Jeanne Allen in a statement.

These recent results are not anomalies, but the latest in a repeated series of achievement declines on various measuring sticks since Common Core was enacted. This is the opposite of what we were told would happen with trillions of taxpayer dollars and an entire generation of children who deserve not to have been guinea pigs in a failed national experiment.

Perhaps the top stated goal of Common Core was to increase American kids' "college and career readiness." The phrase is so central to Common Core's branding that it is part of the mandates' formal title for its English "anchor standards" and appears 60 times in the English requirements alone. Yet all the evidence since Common Core was shoved into schools, just as critics argued, shows that it has at best done nothing to improve students' "college and career readiness," and at worst has damaged it.

(snip)

<More Results Of democrats' Bad Choices Here>

Severian

All by design. Ignorant children are woke children and easy to manipulate, they will form the shock troops of the revolution. AMSOC!

jr_tex

Guess I don't understand the charts. t looks like to me all categories are up from 1994 and 1 - 3% down from 2017. The narrative talks about larger drops. So what am I missing?

Edited by jr_tex

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

We all knew that it would turn out this way.

Now it cannot be fixed. It's too damned late now. Their lives are ruined. The damage is done.

These kid's lives during their formative years were totally <censored>ing wasted teaching them this damned unproven proggy PC engineered dumbed down BULLSHIDT. It was designed to ruin them on PURPOSE.

Those responsible for it all need to swing from a rope.

Ticked@TinselTown

When you TEACH mental retardation to children, why even bother to test them to see where they rate against previous generations?

All by design. Ignorant children are woke children and easy to manipulate, they will form the shock troops of the revolution. AMSOC!

:exactly:

And all implemented by progressive commie NGOs lobbying local governments to enact this :bs: to circumvent/bypass the public will.

Now they are implementing this very kind of insane proggy PC crap into the HR departments of all public employers.

You ought to see the smattering of PC "Diversity and inclusiveness" garbage that they are enacting as policy and "educating" us with at my work place? At my workplace, we had to sit and listen to a very disgusting insane presentation from a local homosexual rights group that advocated perverting and molesting children. I and about a dozen of my co-workers got up and walked right the <censored> out of it. So I got a snarky letter from HR afterwards? If they <censored> with me I will sue their asses off. I refuse to be indoctrinated into this sick crap and I openly refuse to agree with any of it, especially when it comes to these perverts showing us disgusting videos of "transgendered" chemically castrated/abused underage children promoting homosexuality.

None of this sick twisted garbage has ever been proven to make anything or any company/business better or more successful even though they flat out lie and claim that it does, just like how they did with the common core bullshidt.

When you TEACH mental retardation to children, why even bother to test them to see where they rate against previous generations?

The "adults" are teaching these impressionable children how to be dysfunctional, to become morons and deviants.

These sick bastards have infested everything and are openly inflicting their diseases upon the youth and nobody is doing a damned thing to stop them.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

mjperry51

Guess I don't understand the charts. t looks like to me all categories are up from 1994 and 1 - 3% down from 2017. The narrative talks about larger drops. So what am I missing?

From the article:

For the third time in a row since Common Core was fully phased in nationwide, U.S. student test scores on the nation's broadest and most respected test have dropped, a reversal of an upward trend between 1990 and 2015. Further, the class of 2019, the first to experience all four high school years under Common Core, is the worst-prepared for college in 15 years, according to a new report.

Dean Adam Smithee

From the article:

The thing is, though, Common Core HASN'T been "fully phased in nationwide". Some states have NEVER joined. Some states joined for a while then dropped out; Indiana, Florida and Kansas left in '14, Georgia and Arizona in 15, and I believe Kentucky in '17. Since this analysis includes ALL states, form a devil's advocate standpoint, who is to say the drop in test cores the past 3 years isn't the fault of these other states???

More telling would be to compare it state by state, over time. We can get partly there with the state-by-state listings at NationsReportCard.gov

For instance, of the four states that have NEVER joined - Alaska, Nebraska, Texas and Virginia, 3 of the 4 are in the top category of "performed significantly higher than National public average". Likewise Indiana and Florida who have dropped out of CC. On the other hand, several CC states are in the top category too... HOWEVER, notably absent from the top of the list are "Major" common core states like California, Illinois, Michigan and New York... THEY'RE all in the category of "performed significantly lower than National public average".

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the author's position, I just think there's a better way of making the case; I'd really like to see this plotted on the same 1990-2019 timeline state by state to make a legitimate comparison.

mjperry51

The thing is, though, Common Core HASN'T been "fully phased in nationwide". Some states have NEVER joined. Some states joined for a while then dropped out; Indiana, Florida and Kansas left in '14, Georgia and Arizona in 15, and I believe Kentucky in '17. Since this analysis includes ALL states, form a devil's advocate standpoint, who is to say the drop in test cores the past 3 years isn't the fault of these other states???

More telling would be to compare it state by state, over time. We can get partly there with the state-by-state listings at NationsReportCard.gov

For instance, of the four states that have NEVER joined - Alaska, Nebraska, Texas and Virginia, 3 of the 4 are in the top category of "performed significantly higher than National public average". Likewise Indiana and Florida who have dropped out of CC. On the other hand, several CC states are in the top category too... HOWEVER, notably absent from the top of the list are "Major" common core states like California, Illinois, Michigan and New York... THEY'RE all in the category of "performed significantly lower than National public average".

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the author's position, I just think there's a better way of making the case; I'd really like to see this plotted on the same 1990-2019 timeline state by state to make a legitimate comparison.

That's fine -- I was just answering jr_tex's question about the graphs. . .