Reporters Enraged Over Media Portrayal in ‘Richard Jewell’

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

Reporters Enraged Over Media Portrayal in 'Richard Jewell'

David Rutz

DECEMBER 10, 2019 5:00 PM

Free Beacon

<More Here>

Media figures are outraged over the upcoming Clint Eastwood film Richard Jewell, blasting its negative portrayal of the journalists that upended the title character's life in 1996.

Reviewers and reporters are slamming the film as misogynistic and even "Trumpian," while the Atlanta Journal-Constitution sent a letter demanding the movie include a disclaimer stating that its portrayal of former police reporter Kathy Scruggs reportedly trading sexual favors for a story on Jewell is false.

Eastwood's movie, which comes out Friday, portrays federal law enforcement and media as powerful forces that combined to destroy Jewell, the security guard falsely suspected of the 1996 Summer Olympic bombing in Atlanta.

"[F]ormal precision notwithstanding, Richard Jewell has been constructed from the ground-up as nothing more than a nuance-free rallying cry for Trumpian talking points about the corrupt villainy of the FBI and the media," the Daily Beast wrote in a scathing review, adding the portrayal of Scruggs was "brazenly misogynistic."

Slate acknowledged Jewell was in part a victim of a "merciless media spotlight" but harangued the movie for making Scruggs serve as a scapegoat for "everything wrong with the press."

Slate's Mark Joseph Stern called for a "flat-out boycott" of the movie over the trope of a female reporter trading sex for tips. Former BuzzFeed scribe John Stanton was more direct, telling Warner Brothers, "f—k y'all and all your movies." Others took to Twitter to blast Eastwood for reverting to sexist stereotypes.

(snip)

<More Here>

Ticked@TinselTown

When you get the media and the leftards this foamy, then you know you've struck a nerve, and that usually means you've hit the nail squarely on the head.

You made my day, Mr. Eastwood!

Noclevermoniker

Taking flak directly over target.

E Van der Vliet

Yeah, like the media has any credibility. They just increased ticket sales.

RedSoloCup

When you get the media and the leftards this foamy, then you know you've struck a nerve, and that usually means you've hit the nail squarely on the head.

:exactly:

Yeah, like the media has any credibility. They just increased ticket sales.

Magic Rat

What makes me laugh is that these clowns are so insulated that they think that just by uttering Trump's name, they have satisfied themselves that they have described something truly abhorrent and everyone will agree. They totally ignore that half the people in this country actually voted for him and don't think of him that way.

Be on the lookout for the word "trump" to be just behind "racist", edging out "homophobic" as the left and media's new argument winning epithet.

Tikk

I see 'Trumpian', I think 'directly honest'.

searcher

The truth hurts sometimes. The media had that poor guy tried, convicted, and salute red. I thought from the start he was not the guy and had some pretty heavy arguments with folks over it. Not a one of them looked me up later and said "You was right". I expect nothing less from the media.

Mark

Ladybird

Mr. Jewell got a raw deal. Considering what the media put him through, these complaints are pretty weak.

And since when have movies not taken 'dramatic license' with true stories?

USNRETWIFE

I am old enough to remember this very well. I felt so bad for Mr. Jewell. The media cannot be portrayed bad enough, in my opinion. A pack of rabid dogs behaves better than those 'reporters' and their networks. It is one of the many instances that started me on my road to absolute despise of 'news' media. When my nephew broke up with a very nice girl years ago, I breathed a sigh of relief because she was going to college for journalism. This was right after his first tour in Iraq in 2004 or 05. Part of the reason I was glad to see her go was due to the Centennial Olympic Park bombing coverage, and political crap about Bush. And nothing has changed my mind about them since. For every Sheryl Atkisson, John Solomon, Sarah Carter, etc., REAL journalists, there are a horde of slimy lying writers and camera faces calling themselves reporters. And plenty of yellow rags and worthless networks willing to employ them.

I, for one, cannot wait to see this movie.

USMCforever60

Reporters Enraged Over Media Portrayal in 'Richard Jewell'

David Rutz

DECEMBER 10, 2019 5:00 PM

Free Beacon

<More Here>

Media figures are outraged over the upcoming Clint Eastwood film Richard Jewell, blasting its negative portrayal of the journalists that upended the title character's life in 1996.

Reviewers and reporters are slamming the film as misogynistic and even "Trumpian," while the Atlanta Journal-Constitution sent a letter demanding the movie include a disclaimer stating that its portrayal of former police reporter Kathy Scruggs reportedly trading sexual favors for a story on Jewell is false.

Eastwood's movie, which comes out Friday, portrays federal law enforcement and media as powerful forces that combined to destroy Jewell, the security guard falsely suspected of the 1996 Summer Olympic bombing in Atlanta.

"[F]ormal precision notwithstanding, Richard Jewell has been constructed from the ground-up as nothing more than a nuance-free rallying cry for Trumpian talking points about the corrupt villainy of the FBI and the media," the Daily Beast wrote in a scathing review, adding the portrayal of Scruggs was "brazenly misogynistic."

Slate acknowledged Jewell was in part a victim of a "merciless media spotlight" but harangued the movie for making Scruggs serve as a scapegoat for "everything wrong with the press."

Slate's Mark Joseph Stern called for a "flat-out boycott" of the movie over the trope of a female reporter trading sex for tips. Former BuzzFeed scribe John Stanton was more direct, telling Warner Brothers, "f—k y'all and all your movies." Others took to Twitter to blast Eastwood for reverting to sexist stereotypes.

(snip)

<More Here>

Huh, to quote a fav line...."Paybacks are a bitch and her stripper name is Karma!"

The press went to to crap when Woodard and Bernstein published uncorroborated, unsubstantiated, unverified gossip. I do believe the press hates Trump more than they hated Nixon!

Severian

Sadly most in the media are self important, narcissistic scum. Oh lordy! Nooooo! The movie makes the media look bad! :dramaqueen:

No you jagoffs, your own behavior and lack of ethics makes you look bad.

USNJIMRET

If memory serves, Richard Jewel is the reason that the media and police refer to suspects as 'persons of interest' now.

The media and police absolutely, without question, did a horrible dirty deal to Mr Jewel.

Live with it.

oki

If memory serves, Richard Jewel is the reason that the media and police refer to suspects as 'persons of interest' now.

The media and police absolutely, without question, did a horrible dirty deal to Mr Jewel.

Live with it.

Oh, not just Jewel, but even people connected to him. IE his mom. Then, as quite often is the case, if it is a huge story, you know really sensational they will do their damndest to try and sway public opinion. BOTH the media and all to often Federal Government. No, we need to make sure we have the right person before we turn their life upside down. We are the Government we can do what ever the F we want, oh WE couldn't find any evidence? Well, have fun cleaning up the mess we made of your life.

RedSoloCup

The "fake news" can dish it out, but sure can't take it!

Ticked@TinselTown

Oh, not just Jewel, but even people connected to him. IE his mom. Then, as quite often is the case, if it is a huge story, you know really sensational they will do their damndest to try and sway public opinion. BOTH the media and all to often Federal Government. No, we need to make sure we have the right person before we turn their life upside down. We are the Government we can do what ever the F we want, oh WE couldn't find any evidence? Well, have fun cleaning up the mess we made of your life.

Like the McMartin fiasco.

oki

Like the McMartin fiasco.

If there is one thing Government agencies absolutely hate it's admitting mistakes. Far to often many would rather get a conviction of even an innocent person instead of looking like a bunch of incompetent idiots. Certainly not all Federal agents are this way, most are extremely honest, honorable and execute their duties with the highest amount of conviction and integrity. Sadly though they are often NOT the ones in charge who make key decisions.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

The media flat out intentionally lied about and wronged the man but this time they got caught and now they're all pissy and indignant about it.

<censored> them.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Mr. Jewell got a raw deal. Considering what the media put him through, these complaints are pretty weak.

:rolleyes:

ASE

Screw the media!! Their treatment of Jewell is why there was an issue for the movie to be made in the first place!!! They got their knickers in a twist and are throwing a hissy fit?? Go rant at the arse-wipe in the mirror SCUMBAGS!!!

zurg

Reporters enraged = Eastwood doing it right.

Nuf said.

LeansToTheRight

Finally a post of yours that I 100% agree with. :thumbsup:

Alexis

The truth hurts sometimes. The media had that poor guy tried, convicted, and salute red. I thought from the start he was not the guy and had some pretty heavy arguments with folks over it. Not a one of them looked me up later and said "You was right". I expect nothing less from the media.

Mark

They didn't "upend" his life, they ruined his life. I'm sure this contributed heavily to his early death.

Wag-a-Muffin (D)

RedState article on Richard Jewell

If I could find a link to the video on this post, I'd put it here. But I can't find it. Please open this link and play the video in the middle of it.

It is Richard Jewell's testimony in 1996. Listen to him and tell me if the FBI and journalists are any better (less evil) now than they were in 1996.

Disgusting what they did to him. Just disgusting!

De Oppresso Liber

Mr. Eastwood is not a stupid man. If he put in parts that the foaming left are excreting as "Misogynistic", then I am betting they are pretty damned accurate. If not, then he would have opened himself up to a pretty severe lawsuit. I just don't see that happening.