Jump to content
To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Ladybird

2020 Celebrity Deaths

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

zurg
Posted (edited)

Also, you guys are a friggin fountain of information on these music and film artists. I’m impressed! 
 

My claim to fame is seeing U2 at a festival in Denmark before they were anybodies (even in Europe) and then later on their first US tour when they weren’t well known here, I got general admission to the Brown University hockey rink where they had free beer (!!) for the first couple of hundred people. They had 3 albums out by then. Standing room only, I was about third row from the stage. Cool. 

Edited by zurg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
14 hours ago, scotsman said:

That song is based on the band's legendary raucous gig in the early 70s, at the Grand Hall, in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

A great venue I know well.

grand-hall.jpg

1_CRR_KST_140613PalaceTheatreJPG.jpg

 

Nice place. How are the acoustics in that venue? Looks like mostly wood on the inside, so I'll bet the acoustics are great. Good place for a rock concert? Probably even better for classical, string quartets, choirs, etc.

Amirite?

 

4 hours ago, zurg said:

Seems like y’all are just listing the good guys who pass away. Let’s see some douchebags. Not that I’ll speak ill of anyone but just to brighten up the day.... :whistling:

 

Yeah but only the good die young...

;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scotsman
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MontyPython said:

 

Nice place. How are the acoustics in that venue? Looks like mostly wood on the inside, so I'll bet the acoustics are great. Good place for a rock concert? Probably even better for classical, string quartets, choirs, etc.

Amirite?

 

 

Yeah but only the good die young...

;)

 

Hi, Monty.

The sound is always great. Very clear and crisp. It holds up to 1000 if all standing downstairs or about 800 if temp seats are put in. Atmosphere is always great, its still small enough to be a proper old fashioned 'sweaty gig', but comfortable. The seats upstairs run up the sides of and even slightly behind the stage, so you can be right over the band/artist. The wooden seats on stage are temporary and are never there for a rock gig.

Never seen anything but a rock/indie/pop concert, so wouldn't know re other types of music. That building actually holds both the Grand Hall and another hall (the Palace Theatre), which is for more sedate pop/music or for the music you mentioned. The Grand Hall is usually for up and coming bands OR big bands/artists who want a good sized but smaller warm up gig for the start of a tour.

I have seen famous bands there from punk legends The Stranglers to Britpop/90s icons The Happy Mondays, Primal Scream to current Brit indie bands like Kasabian. Also John Lydon AKA Johnny Rotten of Sex Pistols fame. Punk legends The Damned, and The Sensational Alex Harvey Band are two other legendary bands.

'Back in the day', Slade played the venue SEVEN times between 1966 and 1971, pre and post fame. As did Badfinger, and of course The Sweet.

Edited by scotsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ladybird

Bonnie Pointer, founding member of The Pointer Sisters, dead at 69

Link

They had a unique 'soul & swing' sound, at least, in their early day. Always liked them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dean Adam Smithee

R.I.P.

best song ever...

They slipped one past the censors. Hee Hee. LOL. Take a frame-by-frame look at about 0:59 and tell me what you might or might not see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dean Adam Smithee
6 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

They slipped one past the censors. Hee Hee. LOL. Take a frame-by-frame look at about 0:59 and tell me what you might or might not see.

(Actually, it's about 0.56 YouTube time) And they slipped this past MTV and/or VH1.

Oh, to be a 20-something back in the early '80s with a VCR and a rewind/pause button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scotsman
Posted (edited)

Sir Ian Holm: Lord of the Rings and Alien star dies aged 88

'Stage and film actor Sir Ian Holm, who played Bilbo Baggins in The Lord of the Rings films, has died aged 88.

Sir Ian, Oscar-nominated as Olympic running coach Sam Mussabini in Chariots of Fire, also played the android Ash in 1979's Alien.

"It is with great sadness we can confirm that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88," his agent said in a statement.

"He died peacefully in hospital with his family and carer," he added.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53110391

 

Obituary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13960349

 

Edited by scotsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Severian
Posted (edited)

Very sad, I always enjoyed Ian Holm's performances. For a while there it seemed like every movie I watched had him in it, the man had a huge number of films under his belt. RIP Sir Ian, you will be missed.

ETA he was in "Naked Lunch" which is another of my favorite films, and he was great as Polonius in "Hamlet."

Edited by Severian
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
On 6/9/2020 at 4:30 AM, scotsman said:

Hi, Monty.

The sound is always great. Very clear and crisp. It holds up to 1000 if all standing downstairs or about 800 if temp seats are put in. Atmosphere is always great, its still small enough to be a proper old fashioned 'sweaty gig', but comfortable. The seats upstairs run up the sides of and even slightly behind the stage, so you can be right over the band/artist. The wooden seats on stage are temporary and are never there for a rock gig.

Never seen anything but a rock/indie/pop concert, so wouldn't know re other types of music. That building actually holds both the Grand Hall and another hall (the Palace Theatre), which is for more sedate pop/music or for the music you mentioned. The Grand Hall is usually for up and coming bands OR big bands/artists who want a good sized but smaller warm up gig for the start of a tour.

I have seen famous bands there from punk legends The Stranglers to Britpop/90s icons The Happy Mondays, Primal Scream to current Brit indie bands like Kasabian. Also John Lydon AKA Johnny Rotten of Sex Pistols fame. Punk legends The Damned, and The Sensational Alex Harvey Band are two other legendary bands.

'Back in the day', Slade played the venue SEVEN times between 1966 and 1971, pre and post fame. As did Badfinger, and of course The Sweet.

 

I'm jealous! 

 

1 hour ago, scotsman said:

Sir Ian Holm: Lord of the Rings and Alien star dies aged 88

'Stage and film actor Sir Ian Holm, who played Bilbo Baggins in The Lord of the Rings films, has died aged 88.

Sir Ian, Oscar-nominated as Olympic running coach Sam Mussabini in Chariots of Fire, also played the android Ash in 1979's Alien.

"It is with great sadness we can confirm that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88," his agent said in a statement.

"He died peacefully in hospital with his family and carer," he added.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53110391

 

Obituary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13960349

 

 

RIP Sir Ian.

:(

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ladybird
On 6/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, scotsman said:

Sir Ian Holm: Lord of the Rings and Alien star dies aged 88

'Stage and film actor Sir Ian Holm, who played Bilbo Baggins in The Lord of the Rings films, has died aged 88.

Sir Ian, Oscar-nominated as Olympic running coach Sam Mussabini in Chariots of Fire, also played the android Ash in 1979's Alien.

"It is with great sadness we can confirm that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88," his agent said in a statement.

"He died peacefully in hospital with his family and carer," he added.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53110391

 

Obituary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13960349

 

RIP, sir.

He's been in so many great films. A little known one, The Sweet Hereafter, is one of my favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Severian

Never saw The Sweet Hereafter but looking it up it sounds like something he'd do well in. He also was in a couple of David Cronenberg films, eXisTenZ and Naked Lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dean Adam Smithee

Charles Webb, author of The Graduate, dies at 81

By Tyler Aquilina June 27, 2020 at 11:44 AM EDT

Entertainment Weekly Link

Author Charles Webb, whose debut novel The Graduate spawned the classic 1967 film adaptation, has died. He was 81. Webb died June 16 in Eastbourne, England according to his friend, Times of London journalist Jack Malvern, who said the cause was related to a blood condition. The Graduate, published in 1963, was Webb's most famous work, thanks to the Mike Nichols-directed production starring Dustin Hoffman....

---------------------------------------

By many accounts, a thoroughly strange man. Poor most of his life because he kept giving away everything he bought with his royalties.  Wrote a number of books in addition to The Graduate but none of them did well, at least in part because he forbid the publishers to put "By the Author of The Graduate" on the cover. In later years, managed a nudist resort in New Jersey along with his wife Eve who had her name legally changed to Fred.

I've seen enough snippets from The Graduate (1967) to understand the gist of it, but I don't believe I've seen the entire film start to finish nor have I read the book. I did like Marriage of a Young Stockbroker (1971) , a minor hit for actors Richard Benjamin and Adam "Batman" West but nowhere NEAR as iconic as The Graduate, and I didn't even realize until reading the obituary that it was also based on a Charles Webb novel. 

 

7220903165412978458.jpg

Above: Richard Benjamin and Adam West, publicity still from Marriage of a Young Stockbroker.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython

I've seen both of those movies (The Graduate and Marriage of a Young Stockbroker) and enjoyed them both. But I've never read either of the books.

RIP Charles Webb.

:( 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hieronymous

RIP  Carl Reiner, aged 98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scotsman

Linda Cristal, from The High Chapparal, aged 89.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scotsman
2 hours ago, Hieronymous said:

RIP  Carl Reiner, aged 98

So a bit short of 2000 years then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
2 hours ago, Hieronymous said:

RIP  Carl Reiner, aged 98

 

Even though he's probably best remembered as Allan Brady (Rob Petrie's boss on the Dick Van Dyke show), he had other roles too. My favorite will always be as Walt Whittaker in "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming", one of the funniest movies ever made.

RIP Allan...er...Walt...er...Carl.

:( 

 

22 minutes ago, scotsman said:

Linda Cristal, from The High Chapparal, aged 89.

 

Had a crush on her when I was a kid.

RIP ms Crystal.

:( 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ladybird
2 hours ago, MontyPython said:

 

Even though he's probably best remembered as Allan Brady (Rob Petrie's boss on the Dick Van Dyke show), he had other roles too. My favorite will always be as Walt Whittaker in "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming", one of the funniest movies ever made.

RIP Allan...er...Walt...er...Carl.

:( 

 

 

Had a crush on her when I was a kid.

RIP ms Crystal.

:( 

 

The Jerk and The Man With Two Brains are my favorite Steve Martin collaborations. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magic Rat
2 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Had a crush on her when I was a kid.

RIP ms Crystal.

:( 

 

I always had a crush on her too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
40 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

The Jerk and The Man With Two Brains are my favorite Steve Martin collaborations. 

Yup, those are both great too.

16 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

I always had a crush on her too.

She was a beautiful woman all right.

:yes: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ladybird

Kelly Preston, actress and wife of John Travolta, has died following a two-year battle with breast cancer

I didn't know she was ill. RIP  I hate cancer :(

Benjamin Keough Dies: Son Of Lisa Marie Presley And Grandson Of Elvis Presley Was 27

The grandson of Elvis Presley is not a celebrity (and neither is his mom). Tragic all the same. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grimreefer
2 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Kelly Preston, actress and wife of John Travolta, has died following a two-year battle with breast cancer

I didn't know she was ill. RIP  I hate cancer :(

Benjamin Keough Dies: Son Of Lisa Marie Presley And Grandson Of Elvis Presley Was 27

The grandson of Elvis Presley is not a celebrity (and neither is his mom). Tragic all the same. 

 

Just saw a message from Travolta about Kelly Preston. Didn't know she was ill either. :( Many fond memories of her roles......

 

RIP to them both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magic Rat
8 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Kelly Preston, actress and wife of John Travolta, has died following a two-year battle with breast cancer

I didn't know she was ill. RIP  I hate cancer :(

Benjamin Keough Dies: Son Of Lisa Marie Presley And Grandson Of Elvis Presley Was 27

The grandson of Elvis Presley is not a celebrity (and neither is his mom). Tragic all the same. 

 

Didn't Lisa Marie have a hit song?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magic Rat
8 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Kelly Preston, actress and wife of John Travolta, has died following a two-year battle with breast cancer

I didn't know she was ill. RIP  I hate cancer :(

Benjamin Keough Dies: Son Of Lisa Marie Presley And Grandson Of Elvis Presley Was 27

The grandson of Elvis Presley is not a celebrity (and neither is his mom). Tragic all the same. 

 

Didn't Lisa Marie have a hit song?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...