To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
MTP Reggie

Trump says he’s fixing coronavirus testing issues

Rate this topic

zurg

This isn’t helping.

Unfortunately comments from 2009 no longer exist, so I can’t post proof of the criticisms I lobbed at Obama. But clearly it’s important to you, so I wish I could. However, RN’s lack of historical comments don’t inoculate Trump from criticism. Compare and contrast these comments...

January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

February 2: “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China. … We can’t have thousands of people coming in who may have this problem, the coronavirus. So we’re gonna see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”

February 14: “We have a very small number of people in the country, right now, with it. It’s like around 12. Many of them are getting better. Some are fully recovered already. So we’re in very good shape.”

February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”

February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”

February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”

February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”

February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”

February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”

February 28: “Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that, right? Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa.” “They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”

March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”

March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”

March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”

March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”

March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”

March 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

March 6: "You know, my uncle was a great person. He was at MIT. He taught at MIT for, I think, like a record number of years. He was a great super genius. Dr. John Trump. I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, 'How do you know so much about this? ' Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president."

March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”

March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”

March 9: “This blindsided the world.”

March 9: "The Fake News Media and their partner, the Democrat Party, is doing everything within its semi-considerable power (it used to be greater!) to inflame the CoronaVirus situation, far beyond what the facts would warrant.”

March 9: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

March 10: "It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

....with this, “I’ve always known this is a, this is a real, this is a pandemic,”

In fact, could someone please decipher this, it makes absolutely no sense: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”

More importantly, was this true? “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test”.

No, it wasn’t. It was the Trump version of “If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor”.

And yes, I understand a number of his comments I posted were an attempt to quell a spreading panic, but his blame shifting and CYA moments showcase a weak leader. Someone who’s less concerned with doing his job and more concerned with preserving his image.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to call work and see if I still have a job.

I’m a big Trump supporter, but unlike leftwing cultists, I will acknowledge when Trump is doing something wrong. You may not see me highlighting it, but I will acknowledge it. The way he has SPOKEN about this ordeal has been less than perfect.

However, the other side of the coin is that 1) Trump and his administration’s ACTIONS have been quite good, from entry restrictions to now social distancing and closing or recommended closing of public places, 2) these ACTIONS have been done with people’s health as a primary objective, while not ignoring the economic impact.

That’s why Trump still gets my support on this and other issues. His actions speak louder than his rhetoric.

NH Populist
Posted (edited)

This isnt helping.

You're right, it isn't helping. But how much do you have on your plate today and what time will your work day end?! How many people in the media will attack you by leaving out important pieces of information to push an agenda? As I've said, Trump's not perfect, but the alternative the Left's offering up? Good luck with that!

Edited by NH Populist

Shaky McSelfie

I’m a big Trump supporter, but unlike leftwing cultists, I will acknowledge when Trump is doing something wrong. You may not see me highlighting it, but I will acknowledge it. The way he has SPOKEN about this ordeal has been less than perfect.

However, the other side of the coin is that 1) Trump and his administration’s ACTIONS have been quite good, from entry restrictions to now social distancing and closing or recommended closing of public places, 2) these ACTIONS have been done with people’s health as a primary objective, while not ignoring the economic impact.

That’s why Trump still gets my support on this and other issues. His actions speak louder than his rhetoric.

I agree, somewhat. I think Trump should have stood his ground and not give in to the panic, which I think he did. He lost control, IMO.

However, this is a no win situation for him. No matter what happens, the media tears him apart.

This thing is about as overhyped as I have ever seen anything. We have allow this to grind our nation to an economic halt. It’s crazy.

And we are perpetuating it further with everything shutting down. Makes no sense at all except yes, the media is out to get Trump. America be damned.

NH Populist

Makes no sense at all except yes, the media is out to get Trump. America be damned.

Bingo! What I take exception to is someone calling Trump supporters "His Super Duper Fans" when they're about to offer up Joe Biden as an alternative?! Yeah, right...

zurg

I agree, somewhat. I think Trump should have stood his ground and not give in to the panic, which I think he did. He lost control, IMO.

However, this is a no win situation for him. No matter what happens, the media tears him apart.

This thing is about as overhyped as I have ever seen anything. We have allow this to grind our nation to an economic halt. It’s crazy.

And we are perpetuating it further with everything shutting down. Makes no sense at all except yes, the media is out to get Trump. America be damned.

It’s absolutely a no win for Trump. But look, nobody’s going to be able to battle everything.

Having to choose between a *possible* large-scale health problem and a *for-sure* large-scale economic problem, is a no-win, but he must choose the health path, even if it’s not certain that the health hazard magnitude is really that great. The bet must be that people understand that the underlying economy is strong and there’s confidence it will bounce back.

Ladybird

Bingo! What I take exception to is someone calling Trump supporters "His Super Duper Fans" when they're about to offer up Joe Biden as an alternative?! Yeah, right...

I’m not the only one here who has used the “super fan” label and I don’t consider every Trump supporters or Republicans who grudgingly voted for him in that group. They are out there and on this board, however. If you see yourself in that group, that’s your choice.

Buckwheat Jones

“I’ve always known this is a, this is a real, this is a pandemic,”

-Trump today..

He lies so much that it's as natural to him as breathing, and by extension, the super duper fans come to believe any revision themselves.

Trump is a liar. No question. There were only two action figures left on the shelf in 2016, and the orange one seemed to have fewer defects than the psychotic one. Still, he seems to be dealing with this pandemic in an effective and confident way.

We do the best we can with the resources available. And after trumps first 3 years, and his coronavirus press conference, I think he’s done so

Pretty well. It offsets the liar part.

NH Populist

I’m not the only one here who has used the “super fan” label and I don’t consider every Trump supporters or Republicans who grudgingly voted for him in that group. They are out there and on this board, however. If you see yourself in that group, that’s your choice.

My suggestion to you is take the blinders off and stop pretending Donald Trump is somehow worse than what you people stuck the country with 11 years ago, then again 7 years ago...

oki

For all the criticisms being hurled about inadequate resources, think of the billions we could have spent on infrastructure to deal with this stuff if we actually ENFORCED OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS over the last couple decades. Also, notice how the MSM hasn't said much about our southern border in the last month or two? Gee, I wonder why.

Timothy
Posted (edited)

And we are perpetuating it further with everything shutting down.

I just want to ignore any of the politics of this for a moment and talk about this.

I hope you are paying attention to what is going on Italy.

The death rate from this is an order of magnitude higher than the normal flu. It's able to spread a lot faster than the flu because no one (that we know of) has any immunity to it. It has the potential to overwhelm the capacity of our healthcare system to deal with serious cases. From what we've seen so far in other countries, the death rate increases significantly (from around .5-1% to 4%) when the health care system is overwhelmed and we aren't able to give everyone who is very sick proper treatment. This isn't just between countries, but comparing the death rate in Wuhan (likely to end up close to 5%) to the rest of China (likely to end up around 1%).

And there is a delay between the actions you take and its effect on an outbreak. Infections take 1-2 weeks to turn into identifiable illnesses and hospitalizations, and in that time each infected person can spread it to many more people. If we only wait to do anything until we are seeing a large outbreak, it's too late. Steps to slow the spread of infections are a lot more effective when they are done early rather than after it has become widespread and lots of people are hospitalized.

It's natural for people to not want to take it seriously until it's on their doorstep... that's human psychology. But for something like this, an ounce or prevention is worth a pound of cure.

A few sources:

1) A good read about the 1-2 week lag between the virus spreading and the spread being detected: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

2) A good visualization of how outbreaks spread and how social-distancing can slow the spread: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

1*PZesaMfoPxgYJBoQVtpmjQ.gif

Edited by Timothy

ThePatriot

I've heard several doctors interviewed recently about this - the most recent, an emergency room doctor who said, and I'm paraphrasing from memory,

"If you come in with a dry cough and a fever, we're not testing you. We're sending you home to self quarantine. It presents like the flu and the treatment is the same."

The media created panic over this is shameful and is causing far more harm than the virus itself.

firecoco

I've heard several doctors interviewed recently about this - the most recent, an emergency room doctor who said, and I'm paraphrasing from memory,

"If you come in with a dry cough and a fever, we're not testing you. We're sending you home to self quarantine. It presents like the flu and the treatment is the same."

The media created panic over this is shameful and is causing far more harm than the virus itself.

BINGO ....Any one that will listen to me this is what I tell them...It’s all media driven

kestrel

Just curious but I've a question. If any of the critics was in Trumps place exactly "What" would you (and I) have done differently?..Honestly I have no idea what to do about a pandemic like this but I will hold Trump responsible for these...errors? and make sure that I remember this in November...I mean seriously Don't yall think that Hillary would have handled this better?..and one way we can show our displeasure with the efforts of "Orange Man" would be that if and when he sends of a bunch of checks we need to just write "RETURN TO SENDER" on the envelope and send it back..I bet that would make an impression..C'mon now who's with me? Just send the checks back!...

Kestrel...

Brought to you by the definitely "not ready for Comedy time writers"

zurg

If this is truly correct it’s more than shameful....how do you punish causing world wide panic? Like yelling fire in a 7 billion seat movie theater.

However, I’m still giving the panic pushers some benefit of doubt. It seems that the true mortality rate of COVID-19 is 20-30 times higher than the regular flu. Older, male, health compromised people are at significant risk, and it seems to quickly taper off. So I understand if young healthy females aren’t too concerned.

But then there’s another feature - this seems to be rather contagious. So the young healthy females can inadvertently pass it to the old unhealthy males and kill them off. Doesn’t sound like a great thing to see happen.

On a small scale, this is a simple problem. On a nation scale, horrible.

Junto

numbers-3-18-600x240.jpg

86% of those infected are asymptomatic - meaning they show no signs of infection and probably do not know they have it.

(from link)

The Director General of the WHO spoke on March 3, 2020 and shared this related to the coronavirus:

"While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease.

Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected."

*Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus used the actual number of deaths due to coronavirus divided by confirmed cases to get his 3.4% mortality rate number (from last week -since that time the mortality rate based on current reported numbers is near 4%).

*Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus then compared the actual coronavirus mortality rate to an estimated flu mortality rate of 0.1% — The US flu mortality rate is based on an estimated 22,000 deaths divided by an estimated 36 million flu cases giving a 0.1% mortality rate.

** Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus compared known numbers for coronavirus (3.4 percent mortality rate) but did not include the estimated number of those infected who are asymtomatic. This number is likely in the tens of thousands and could be in the millions! There is no way of knowing right now. One study released this week revealed that 6 of 7 people infected by coronavirus are asymptomatic! They do not know they are infected!

* Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus then compared the known numbers of 206,845 cases of coronavirus to the millions of estimated annual cases of flu cases. Again he does not include the asymtomatic cases, the 6 of 7 people infected who do not suffer severe symptoms.

* If asymtomatic cases are included in Ghebreyesus’s calculation the actual mortality rate of the coronavirus is somewhere between 0.2% to 0.8% or lower.

* Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus’s calculations of a 3.4% mortality rate is off by nearly 3.0%!

----

Italian Health Ministry Confirms ONLY TWELVE or 3% of Coronavirus Fatalities in Study Did Not Have Other Serious Health Complications

----

Diamond Princess 8 Weeks After Coronavirus Outbreak: 7 Dead and 705 Infected Out of 3,711 Passengers and Crew

(from link)

On January 20th, an 80-year-old Hong Kong passenger disembarked the ship and later visited a Hong Kong hospital where he was diagnosed with the coronavirus. On its next voyage the ship was in Japanese waters when 10 passengers tested positive for coronavirus.

The ship was then quarantined and 705 passengers tested positive for coronavirus.

There were 3,711 passengers and crew on the cruise ship.

Six weeks later there are 7 dead.

That means: 1% of those infected died from the virus.

The virus killed 7 of 3,711 passengers and crew about the Diamond Princess.

Dean Adam Smithee

ER receptionist at Northside in Atlanta told me she wished they could say that. But that, for whatever reason, they weren't allowed to. Oh, sure, they'll test you... eventually... when they get around to it. Hope you brought a sandwich. They'll slow-walk it by triaging the hell out of it. "That lady over there with the hang-nail, she's next".

She was telling me that the BIGGEST problem was area employers who, if a person so much as coughed or sneezed, told them to go get tested and not come back to work until then. In GA, you "can't" just self-quarantine; In GA employment law there's a "3-Day" rule; any sudden (not pre-approved) absence of three days or more requires a doctor's note. Otherwise, the employer is allowed to call it "unexcused" and fire you for it.

In a way, I can understand the employment law on this. It's meant to cut down on...

3oh91h.jpg

Ladybird

I believe it. My cousin in Florida couldn't get one. She's 58, an asthmatic, and is feeling poorly from some kind of respiratory ailment. She also has a fever. They prescribed erythromycin, an inhaler and sent her her on her way.

Severian

Just curious but I've a question. If any of the critics was in Trumps place exactly "What" would you (and I) have done differently?..Honestly I have no idea what to do about a pandemic like this but I will hold Trump responsible for these...errors? and make sure that I remember this in November...I mean seriously Don't yall think that Hillary would have handled this better?..and one way we can show our displeasure with the efforts of "Orange Man" would be that if and when he sends of a bunch of checks we need to just write "RETURN TO SENDER" on the envelope and send it back..I bet that would make an impression..C'mon now who's with me? Just send the checks back!...

Kestrel...

Brought to you by the definitely "not ready for Comedy time writers"

I fully expect that any day now the Democrats will send out fundraising appeals saying "You just got a check from the government, please donate that to us so we can defeat Trump." You know, the man who sent you the check.

Timothy

This is likely because they don't have the capacity to quarantine and/or test everyone who shows potential symptoms of the virus. Not because it isn't serious threat and they shouldn't be tested and quarantined.

I hope you end up being right, but I fear that you won't be. Yes there's a lot of unnecessary fear and panic, especially people doing things like panic-buying toilet paper and water. But the social distancing could very well be what prevents this from getting out of control and killing hundreds of thousands of people.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
Posted (edited)

BINGO ....Any one that will listen to me this is what I tell them...It’s all media driven

Also deep state driven.

They are in cahoots.

BTW on another coronavirus scare, my city's cowardly police department now refuses to do anything about anything other than violent crimes only here until further notice. They won't even answer any calls for help at all for anything else such an elderly person in distress pressing a help button on their devices to summon them.

https://www.wdrb.com/in-depth/lmpd-to-no-longer-respond-to-hit-and-run-wrecks/article_3fa29722-686a-11ea-9ae7-1fcf2d6fb288.html

So here if you get robbed, burglarized, in a no injury vehicle accident, car jacked, collapse over a medical condition, etc. then it's tough shidt, you're on your <censored>ing own jack.

So now it's A-OK to speed, cut people off, run red lights and stop signs, drive drunk and recklessly and and more since the LMPD cowardly captain's orders made sure that his officers won't ever do anything to stop you.

Cool. Now I can drive 85 to and from work! :D

I think I will start packing along my AR 15 and kevlar everyday just in case somebody wants to play road warrior style games again as happened to me twice yesterday on the interstate probably by two jerks who were likely testing out this new police policy.

Glad that I invested all of the money into a home built kick ass video surveillance/recording and alarm system in my home and on my property also with outdoor motion sensors in case someone tries to test the police's not responding to home invasions/break ins.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Dean Adam Smithee

This is likely because they don't have the capacity to quarantine and/or test everyone who shows potential symptoms of the virus. Not because it isn't serious threat and they shouldn't be tested and quarantined.

I hope you end up being right, but I fear that you won't be. Yes there's a lot of unnecessary fear and panic, especially people doing things like panic-buying toilet paper and water. But the social distancing could very well be what prevents this from getting out of control and killing hundreds of thousands of people.

Problem is, as best as I can tell, they haven't defined the right "Triage" points.

(And speaking PURELY from the standpoint of a First Responder (BLS, ALS, ACLS) but NOT an MD, seem like there's a VERY clear triage point where COVID-19 can be EASILY divided into two classes:

MINOR = All the symptoms, but WITHOUT trouble breathing. Okay treat it like a bad FLU; there's not much else you can do anyway. Bedrest. Lots of liquids, especially hot liquids such as soups. Give it 2-3 days.

MAJOR = All the symptoms, but WITH trouble breathing. You breath in and out, but yet don't seem to get enough "air". BELIEVE ME, you'll "know it when you see it". Normal respiration is "12"; one in-out cycle every 5 sec (12/minute). Can you hold your breath for 5 seconds without distress? Or are you gasping for air midway through? Next get a chest X-ray to rule out fluids / pneumonia. THOSE people, need a ventilator. Stat.

There's really not much "else", as we know it, at this time.

Of course, what we know tomorrow might be different than what we know today.

GrimV

But how much do you have on your plate today and what time will your work day end?!

Oh, it's plenty full. And I expect it to be even fuller tomorrow. But I'm not complaining, because when I left work I still had a job. And not to sound self centered, but that's all I care about right now.

And I'm sorry, but Trump's constant blame shifting and the endless ass covering is not filling me with confidence. I've worked with way too many people like that in my life, so I know what they're like.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Oh, it's plenty full. And I expect it to be even fuller tomorrow. But I'm not complaining, because when I left work I still had a job. And not to sound self centered, but that's all I care about right now.

And I'm sorry, but Trump's constant blame shifting and the endless ass covering is not filling me with confidence. I've worked with way too many people like that in my life, so I know what they're like.

:bs:

JerryL

So your saying we should just let the lefty make their point and the rest of us ignore it? Sorry that's like watching someone take a crap in San Fran and walking past it while ignoring it. Eventually all the crap is no longer something you can ignore. I am at that point and will continue to clean up this nonsense she spews. I will not let our POTUS who's done more to deal with this pandemic than Obama did for the 2 he was dealing with. The media is running around screaming that we are all going to die. Hell my wife is worried about permanent lung damage from this thing and it's like something that happens to the worst of the worst case people. Yet the media is pointing to it as "even if you survive, you will be this withered husk that can't breathe!". They are out of control and we pretend like these simpletons are responsible in their information.

Not going to sit here and let them spread the false narratives.

Do whatever you want. But it is tad hypocritical call someone out for "what about" and then, when the opportunity arises, to "what about" them.

Defending President Trump and what he says, or disagreeing with him for that matter, does not hinge on anything President Obama said or did. Pulling out "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor..." everytime someone says that DJT lied does nothing to counter the accusation that he lied.

Tell me, how does "What about Obama..." do anything to stop "them spread the false narratives?"

Ticked@TinselTown

I've been saying it to anyone who'll listen. It's amazing how zen a lot of folks are up here, while the younger transplants from leftard strongholds are the ones in a dither.

Maintain good hygiene habits with regard to washing your hands, be mindful of the people around you and if you feel off, take care of yourself as you normally would when you feel a cold coming on, except don't push to get out given that this is freaking people out.

I'm prepared for articles about people that are suspected of having the virus being stoned by neighbors or their homes are being torched to keep the virus from spreading.

The level of hysteria that's being whipped up by the media and the Dims to point the blame at President Trump is beyond irresponsible, it's criminal.