Sean Hannity Wrong on Armed Michigan Protestors

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

Sean Hannity Wrong on Armed Michigan Protestors

americanthinker.com

By Daniel John Sobiesk

iMay 6, 2020

Excerpt:

One of the constitutional freedoms liberals are trying to use the Wuhan virus pandemic as an excuse to shred is the Second Amendment's guarantee that our right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. There is no asterisk indicating an exception in case of pandemic, so when law-abiding gun owners show up to protest a government's attempt to infringe on their rights, why should they not show up with the weapons the government is trying to curtail their use of, even take them away if the liberals could. Which part of "bear arms" does Sean Hannity not understand?

Hannity, who likes to count on his fingers when talking over his guests, repeating endlessly the same shopworn phrases, took to task protestors who showed up at Michigan's state capitol to protest against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's draconian stay-at-home orders, including the deeming of gun and ammo shops as nonessential as liberal governors and mayors nationwide release felons to the streets. The ever-modest Hannity opined that their bad optics was in fact hurting their cause:

"I'm the number one supporter [on] radio and television, that I know of, [of the] First Amendment and the Second Amendment. Now, no one is a bigger defendant of the Second Amendment than yours truly," Hannity said Monday night on his television program.

"Everyone has the right to protest, protect themselves and try to get the country open," the host said as video rolled of Thursday's protest in Lansing. "This, with the militia look here, and these long guns, uh... no. Show of force is dangerous. That puts our police at risk. And by the way, your message will never be heard, whoever you people are."

"No one should be attempting to intimidate officials with a show of force, and God forbid, something happens," the host continued. "Then they're going to go after all of us law-abiding Second Amendment people."

Full Story

Dean Adam Smithee

Hannity was right on this.

However much this was within their "rights" - and there's LOTS of things a person can do that's well within their "rights" but still makes them look like a dipsh!t - I agree with Hannity that it was "Bad Optics".

mjperry51
I agree with Hannity that it was "Bad Optics".

Depends on what kind of lens you're viewing through. . .

mliff1

I agree with Hannity on this as well. However, there could come a time when it is necessary. Hopefully not now or in my lifetime, but who knows. They are definately pushing their will over our rights. At some point...........riots in the streets.

Ladybird

I agree with Hannity?

Uh oh..

SARGE

I agree with Hannity?

Uh oh..

...and DAS.

How long before you get the urge to manage a strip club and get in a bar fight?

Coach

Once again those who live by appearances and lace hanky manners reveal their weakness. People with such attitudes would never have built this country. Exercising our rights has everything thing to do with "optics". The sons of bitches need to get the message !

Magic Rat

...and DAS.

She has to serve in the Navy first.

Ladybird

...and DAS.

One down...

Dean Adam Smithee

...and DAS.

One down...

So, which is it? Have you managed a strip club OR gotten into a bar fight? (Not that they're mutually exclusive)

She has to serve in the Navy first.

Definitely, bonus points for serving in the Navy (3/4 credit for other services).

This could be a Trifecta here.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Once again those who live by appearances and lace hanky manners reveal their weakness. People with such attitudes would never have built this country. Exercising our rights has everything thing to do with "optics". The sons of bitches need to get the message !

Damned straight!

Hannity is dead wrong this time.

These bastards have no fear nor respect for we the people.

Show up armed and in masse, then that's an attention getter, will make their sphincters pucker and their ears open up to listen.

kestrel

I agree with Hannity on this as well. However, there could come a time when it is necessary. Hopefully not now or in my lifetime, but who knows. They are definately pushing their will over our rights. At some point...........riots in the streets.

Ok...what would THAT necessity look like?..I'm not on either side of this just yet..On the one hand the people that are carrying the weapons have every right to "keep and bear" and I'm not freaked out from seeing another citizen with a weapon, I grew up taking a rifle to school to go hunting and what not after school was out..we just stuck them in a closet till it was time to go Guns are not a matter of concern to me for obvious reasons..and how many "fire arm related incidences have occurred within the ranks of the protesters?...0 I think other than the possibly understandable concerns of those who fear the "optics" of the situation...and WHAT exactly is so bad about said optics?..I don't know about others but if I were a potential tyrant I would be very "Concerned" about what the "optics" might potentially have in store. On the other hand I can understand how and why some folks like city dwellers who don't feel they have a need or a desire to "keep or bear" or any familiarity with firearms would be put off by an angry citizen that is Keeping and bearing..Personally I'm more threatened by the antics of some of the loons driving cars than the weapon issue...I'll leave it here if and till you respond before going further.

Kestrel...

LeansToTheRight

It is NEVER wrong to LEGALLY carry a LEGAL weapon in places where it is LEGAL to carry a weapon.

I’m far from a “gun enthusiast”.

The citizenry have RIGHTS. Liberty, freedom. The right to assemble. The right to bear arms.

These protestors were NOT wrong to carry weapons into a place that ALLOWS them to carry weapons.

Moderator T

Hannity is right. Whatever message the protesters wanted to send is meaningless now because the only thing anyone will talk about is how they showed up armed to the teeth. They'll drive away reasonable people who likely agree with them on the shutdown but disagree with threatening the government. Their action is absolutely lawful and should be. But it is also counterproductive.

slagothar

The purpose of the second amendment is as a check against government tyranny. This was an appropriate exercise.

Ticked@TinselTown

I think people might have missed the point.

People are having extreme responses because they are tired of having their rights infringed upon and that weariness means that the breaking point looms large.

Politicians are supposed to do the will of the People, instead they are crushing the People with their megalomaniacal actions in office.

Lisa

Michigan Gov. Whitmer wants to ban guns from Capitol after armed anti-lockdown protests

May 6, 2020, 6:14 PM EDT / Updated May 6, 2020, 6:20 PM EDT

By Allan Smith

NBC News

Excerpt:

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer wants to bar weapons from being taken into the state Capitol after anti-lockdown protesters showed up with firearms, she told NBC News in a wide-ranging interview.

Whitmer's comments came after gun-toting militia protesters joined a larger group demanding that she reopen parts of the state's economy in a demonstration last week. The protesters spilled inside the Capitol, where armed demonstrators confronted police officers and insisted on being allowed onto the House floor as lawmakers debated an extension of her emergency powers.

Under current state law, it is legal to take firearms inside the Capitol, because Michigan is an open-carry state.

"There are legislators who are wearing bulletproof vests to go to work," Whitmer, a Democrat who is in her first term, said Wednesday. "No one should be intimidated by someone who's bringing in an assault rifle into their workplace. And so there is conversation about changing that law. I think it's long overdue, and I absolutely support that change. You shouldn't be intimidated going to be the voice of the people who elected you."

Full Article

Hieronymous

Which legislators? Feigning altruism to justify denying civil liberties is starting to get real old.

Dean Adam Smithee

I think people might have missed the point.

People are having extreme responses because they are tired of having their rights infringed upon and that weariness means that the breaking point looms large.

Politicians are supposed to do the will of the People, instead they are crushing the People with their megalomaniacal actions in office.

We ALL live under a 'Social Contract', as Rousseau put it. Here in the USA that 'contract' is in the form of the US Constitution federally and the State constitution for each of These United States.

These social contracts DEFINE how the "will of the people" is to be expressed: At the ballot box, rather than armed skinheads showing up at the statehouse purporting to represent the "will of the people" when in fact they are only SOME of the people.

kestrel

...and DAS.

froehlich214.gifgood one!

K...

Coach

We ALL live under a 'Social Contract', as Rousseau put it. Here in the USA that 'contract' is in the form of the US Constitution federally and the State constitution for each of These United States.

These social contracts DEFINE how the "will of the people" is to be expressed: At the ballot box, rather than armed skinheads showing up at the statehouse purporting to represent the "will of the people" when in fact they are only SOME of the people.

Rousseau ???? He was a deadbeat jerk not much different from Karl Marx.

Dean Adam Smithee

Rousseau ???? He was a deadbeat jerk not much different from Karl Marx.

Rousseau was a major influence of the founding of the USA, especially with Jefferson and Madison.

In the declaration of Independence, "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed", is almost word-for-word Rousseau.

E Van der Vliet

I agree with Hannity?

Uh oh..

I have long dismissed Hannity. In fact, I did't read what he said until I saw the comments here. In no way am I fan of Hannity. But here, I do agree with him, as well.

Ticked@TinselTown

The politicians aren't following the will of the people, obviously.

And is it only skinheads who are pissed off about this? That salon owner in Texas who dared to open up her shop sure as schidt didn't look like a skinhead.

Tyrants don't give up power easily and it is clear that this situation has brought the tyrants to the fore.

Ticked@TinselTown

Rousseau was a major influence of the founding of the USA, especially with Jefferson and Madison.

In the declaration of Independence, "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed", is almost word-for-word Rousseau.

Jefferson? Wasn't he also the gentleman who said that the tree of Liberty need to be watered with the blood of tyrants?