To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
pepperonikkid

Donald Trump Threatens to Punish Michigan for Mailing Absentee Ballot Applications to Voters

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

https://www.breitbart.com/

CHARLIE SPIERING

May 20, 2020

Article:

President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened to punish Michigan for mailing absentee ballot applications to all state voters ahead of the election.

“This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path!”

Breaking: Michigan sends absentee ballots to 7.7 million people ahead of Primaries and the General Election. This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State. I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path!..

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 20, 2020

On Tuesday, Michigan’s Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson announced that the state would send ballot applications — not actual absentee ballots — to 7.7 million voters in the state.

“By mailing applications, we have ensured that no Michigander has to choose between their health and their right to vote,” Benson said in a statement. “Voting by mail is easy, convenient, safe, and secure, and every voter in Michigan has the right to do it.”

The plan will cost $4.5 million, which the secretary of state said would come from the CARES Act. The act passed by Congress provides funding for Election Security grants.

The president also criticized Nevada, after they created a vote by mail primary.

Ladybird

More billowing bluster from TOTUS.  The Secretary of State responded to him, though it looks like Trump deleted his threat.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

'cuz voter fraud doesn't happen, right?

• Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup
23 minutes ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

:exactly:

Capn'D
1 hour ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

Not saying it doesn't. But absentee voting is necessary. I used it multiple times when I was on active duty. With COVID19, there's a legitimate fear among senior voters (the largest voting demographic) and some sort of additional means for voting is necessary, lest there be widespread disenfranchisement.

But the larger point is that this is traditionally state business. In fact, this was passed by Michigan voters in the last election cycle: https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1633_8716_8728-21037--,00.html 

Personally, I am not in favor of a larger centralized government in DC monitoring more of what states should be handling themselves. I feel that the 10th Amendment allows states the freedom to control their own affairs, including voting. That used to be a conservative value.

Specs
33 minutes ago, Capn'D said:

Not saying it doesn't. But absentee voting is necessary. I used it multiple times when I was on active duty. With COVID19, there's a legitimate fear among senior voters (the largest voting demographic) and some sort of additional means for voting is necessary, lest there be widespread disenfranchisement.

But the larger point is that this is traditionally state business. In fact, this was passed by Michigan voters in the last election cycle: https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1633_8716_8728-21037--,00.html

Personally, I am not in favor of a larger centralized government in DC monitoring more of what states should be handling themselves. I feel that the 10th Amendment allows states the freedom to control their own affairs, including voting. That used to be a conservative value.

You did not read the law did you? That is if the voter requests the application. That is not the same thing as to what the state is doing in this instance. They are sending it regardless if someone requests it. That is against the law as the President stated :)

Of course, if you were not a primitive democRAT supporter you would have known that and understood what the law said.

• Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython
1 hour ago, Capn'D said:

54 minutes ago, Specs said:

You did not read the law did you? That is if the voter requests the application. That is not the same thing as to what the state is doing in this instance. They are sending it regardless if someone requests it. That is against the law as the President stated :)

Of course, if you were not a primitive democRAT supporter you would have known that and understood what the law said.

I dunno Specs - I'm not sure it's fair to call Capn'D a "primitive democRAT supporter." He has apparently spent time on active duty (i.e. served his country), and what's more I fully agree with him that voting should be a state-run and -managed affair. I hate mail-voting as much as any sensible person does; Remember, I live in WA state where all voting is done by mail-in-ballots. And as a result we haven't had an honest election in years.

But he's absolutely right in his dislike of "a larger centralized government in DC monitoring more of what states should be handling themselves". He's also right that it used to be a generally-held conservative value.

B)

Magic Rat
2 hours ago, Capn'D said:

It is a state issue, which is why the states can fund their own elections.

Ticked@TinselTown

Because of the COVID crap I had to sign up for absentee ballot voting this year.  First time since I cast my first vote at the age of 18.

I went on line and requested the absentee ballot.  I received one.  Then I received a second absentee ballot.  Then I received a notice that I needed to request an absentee ballot.

That's one hell of a lot of ballots and lobbying going on, and an opportunity for fraud imho, but then again, who the eff am I?

• Agree (+1) 1

gravelrash

Bingo and busted. Michigan bought the mailings with federal not state dollars. 

• Agree (+1) 2

ThePatriot
3 hours ago, gravelrash said:

Bingo and busted. Michigan bought the mailings with federal not state dollars. 

If they broke the law, they should be held accountable.

Another conservative value.

• Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird

Why, if it's illegal, is Trump only threatening Democratic controlled states? 

• Disagree (-1) 1

oki
3 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Are there any GOP States which have or have promised to use Federal Funding to send out Absentee Ballot applications?

Imagine for a moment if Trump had his people send out Federal Applications for something that people never requested in the first place.  Should people be angered, upset, waste of resources etc?  Better yet, how about if every household received a ATF Form 4473?  That's the form you must fill out to purchase a firearm.

Would you be okay with that?  What's the difference?  Both are rights, both are essentially applications to exercise a right.  If one right should not require direct supervision to exercise why should the other?  I am not completely against Absentee voting.  BUT,  there has to be safeguards in place.  And yes, it is one of the most common forms of voting fraud there is. 

ESPECIALLY IN PLACES WHERE PHOTO ID IS NOT REQUIRED.

• Agree (+1) 1

Specs
14 hours ago, MontyPython said:

I dunno Specs - I'm not sure it's fair to call Capn'D a "primitive democRAT supporter." He has apparently spent time on active duty (i.e. served his country), and what's more I fully agree with him that voting should be a state-run and -managed affair. I hate mail-voting as much as any sensible person does; Remember, I live in WA state where all voting is done by mail-in-ballots. And as a result we haven't had an honest election in years.

But he's absolutely right in his dislike of "a larger centralized government in DC monitoring more of what states should be handling themselves". He's also right that it used to be a generally-held conservative value.

B)

I agree the state should run it, but the law he referenced does not fit this bill. The secretary of state violated the law by sending out the forms without them being requested. Also, there are numerous counties in the state that have more registered voters than people living in that county. Meaning that it is ripe for fraud.

Maybe he is not a mindless primitive, but I will not say someone is not just because they served the country. Many have served and had their brain rotted out by following the current democRAT ideology that is very primitive and destructive to human nature.

MontyPython
1 hour ago, Specs said:

I agree the state should run it, but the law he referenced does not fit this bill. The secretary of state violated the law by sending out the forms without them being requested. Also, there are numerous counties in the state that have more registered voters than people living in that county. Meaning that it is ripe for fraud.

Maybe he is not a mindless primitive, but I will not say someone is not just because they served the country. Many have served and had their brain rotted out by following the current democRAT ideology that is very primitive and destructive to human nature.

I agree on all points. My point was simply that we don't have any real evidence that Capn'D is a primitive democRAT supporter.

:shrug:

Specs
24 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

I agree on all points. My point was simply that we don't have any real evidence that Capn'D is a primitive democRAT supporter.

:shrug:

I have a good nose for it based on how people respond to online environments :) 

That might make me judgmental, but meh I am who am I and I have no time to take to get beyond first impressions.

oki
20 hours ago, Capn'D said:

As did I.  Key differences are the fact that the State of Michigan is sending or sent out absentee ballots TO EVERYONE weather they requested them or not, if that is against Federal law and they are using Federal funds to make it happen then the Federal Gov has every legal right to pull funds.  Also, (unless something has changed) an N.C.O. took requests for ballots, obtained them, handed them out then collected them.  That in itself serves as a form of security against stolen identity/voter fraud.  With absentee voting it is all but impossible to truly verify the person filling out and sending in the ballot is who they say.  Perhaps with modern technology maybe, IE using a video chat app, but simple paper ballots not so much. 

Ladybird
26 minutes ago, oki said:

As did I.  Key differences are the fact that the State of Michigan is sending or sent out absentee ballots TO EVERYONE weather they requested them or not, if that is against Federal law and they are using Federal funds to make it happen then the Federal Gov has every legal right to pull funds.  Also, (unless something has changed) an N.C.O. took requests for ballots, obtained them, handed them out then collected them.  That in itself serves as a form of security against stolen identity/voter fraud.  With absentee voting it is all but impossible to truly verify the person filling out and sending in the ballot is who they say.  Perhaps with modern technology maybe, IE using a video chat app, but simple paper ballots not so much. 

So is Iowa, Georgia, Nebraska, and West Virginia.

MontyPython
2 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

So 5 wrongs make a right...?

:whistle: 

kestrel
9 hours ago, Ladybird said:

How many guesses do I get?

Kestrel...

kestrel
16 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

So 5 wrongs make a right...?

:whistle: 

No..more than two make a "LEFT"est..Sorry Monty De Debil made me do it!

Kestrel...

Ladybird
1 hour ago, kestrel said:

How many guesses do I get?

Kestrel...

Mine is it's not illegal and he was just blowing hot air, as usual..

kestrel
7 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Mine is it's not illegal and he was just blowing hot air, as usual..

I'll take "wary of voter fraud" like what happens in democrat states

Kestrel...