To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
SARGE

Lori Loughlin, Mossimo Giannulli to plead guilty in college admissions scandal

Rate this topic

Tabla_Man

Well not surprising.  I"m not sure why this drug out for so long.  It's pretty hard to argue that they didn't know at some point that what they were doing was wrong.  What's even more strange is that this was all to get their kids into USC.  I mean no offense to USC, but it's a state college, it's not like they were trying to bribe their way into Yale or Harvard.  Anyway if this means it's the last we hear of this, so much the better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Hieronymous
33 minutes ago, Tabla_Man said:

Well not surprising.  I"m not sure why this drug out for so long.  It's pretty hard to argue that they didn't know at some point that what they were doing was wrong.  What's even more strange is that this was all to get their kids into USC.  I mean no offense to USC, but it's a state college, it's not like they were trying to bribe their way into Yale or Harvard.  Anyway if this means it's the last we hear of this, so much the better.

I think USC is private.  UCLA is a state school.

kestrel

Is anybody from USC going to jail over this?...

Kestrel...

Ladybird
1 hour ago, Tabla_Man said:

:yeahthat:

• Agree (+1) 1

Jon Wayne

She's an ex-Seinfeld show girlfriend.  She's one of the beautiful people.  Mercy is called for.

Weaseljd
1 hour ago, Hieronymous said:

USC is private, and a very selective school.

Frankly based upon what I have read, I think this was a beatable case, but based upon the charges taking a plea deal to serve a month or two instead of the 40 years to which all the charges added up (especially when the judge did not toss the charges for prosecutorial misconduct which he maybe should have done) makes sense.  The evidence seems to show they thought they were making donations to the University, not bribes to individuals, to get the kids in, and donations for admissions preference is not at all unheard of. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
1 hour ago, Tabla_Man said:

I can understand why. USC film school is second to none. If you're a show-biz parent and your kids also want to get into show-biz, it is THEE place to send them.

The list of USC grads who have made it big in showbiz is way too massive to list but can be found here: USC Cinematic Arts: Notable alumni.

Ticked@TinselTown
3 hours ago, Hieronymous said:

And tuition there ain't cheap.  My late uncle was an alum of USC and my grandparents paid for his full ride out of their own very light pockets and went without a lot to see that all he had to do was study.

It might not be Harvard or Yale, but on the Left Coast, it's still considered prestigious to go to USC among those who live for the status symbols

• Agree (+1) 1

Holland25
2 hours ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

I can understand why. USC film school is second to none. If you're a show-biz parent and your kids also want to get into show-biz, it is THEE place to send them.

The list of USC grads who have made it big in showbiz is way too massive to list but can be found here: USC Cinematic Arts: Notable alumni.

Interesting, It sounds like I would like to go there. I wonder if college admission has changed. I have four college degrees. I never planned it but I didn't go right from high school. If you have prior college course you didn't have to have SAT's I never took them. It was always a lot easier going in like that but I know it is a different process for kids right out of high school.

I don't know enough about this case but I can easily see the temptation. I don't know what I would have done.

Tabla_Man
On 5/21/2020 at 12:02 PM, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Yeah I guess I didn't think about that aspect of it, makes sense.

Ticked@TinselTown
On 5/21/2020 at 11:02 AM, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Not to be a killjoy here, but the daughter in question never wanted to go to USC and made a YouTube career of complaining about having to go to college when she would rather identify as a beauty/style influencer because her millionaire parents let her buy whatever she wanted, which gave her the street cred to lecture teen girls about how to put together their own lives based on how she did it.

The girl has no ambition, no talent and no desire for any form of education, higher or otherwise.