To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
If having issues logging in with login name, try using your DISPLAY name. If your password is the issue and you did not update your email address prior to upgrade, use the Contact Us link at bottom of page for a reset. ×
Bronze & Silver Supporters now have ability to create a blog ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
MTP Reggie

Mike Rowe Is Right: There’s “No Such Thing” as a Non-Essential Worker

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

Mike Rowe Is Right: There’s “No Such Thing” as a Non-Essential Worker
All too often, what is deemed “essential” is simply what’s convenient to state leaders making the decisions.
Tuesday, May 5, 2020
Fee.org

<More Here>

Few people in history have seen more jobs up close than Mike Rowe, the longtime host of the Discovery Channel’s hit TV show Dirty Jobs.

Now the blue-collar icon has a message for those who say “non-essential” employees have no business working during the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a recent TV appearance with Dana Perino on “The Daily Briefing,” Rowe made it clear he’s not a fan of the terms “essential” and “non-essential” worker. The problem with such a view, Rowe said, is that such terms have little actual meaning and the economy makes no such distinction.

“There’s something tricky with the language going on here, because with regard to an economy, I don’t think there is any such thing as a nonessential worker,” Rowe said. “This is basically a quilt...and if you start pulling on jobs and tugging on careers over here and over there, the whole thing will bunch up in a weird way.”

Rowe’s message is precisely what FEE president and economist Zilvinas Silenas was getting at in a recent article published at Townhall.

“Allowing politicians to decide which businesses and products are ‘essential’ is an invitation for disaster,” Silenas observed. “If we continue to deny these businesses the ability to do the one essential thing they are best at—providing goods and services to millions of everyday Americans—we risk more than unemployment or recession of stock price plunge. We deprive ourselves of the best resource—our people—during the time of need.”

The truth is, all workers are essential.

(snip)

<More Here>

MontyPython
Posted (edited)

:clap: :clap: :clap: 

Yup, that's what I've been saying all along too: There just isn't any such thing as a "non-essential" job/worker. To a barefoot person a shoe store is essential, isn't it? To someone who needs envelopes a stationary store is essential, isn't it? Maybe you need more light bulbs. Or a new dish rack. And so forth.

B)

Edited by MontyPython

KenpoDude

The only reason that I need to know for why politicians should NOT be making decisions like this is that if they could succeed in/at business, they would stay in the game and not get into the rule-making.

Sort of the "Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach..." type of thing... although I'm not entirely on board with that expression.  40 years ago I could do anything any other martial arts person could do, and often better.  Now, not so much.  Teaching is an outlet for that, though.

Dean Adam Smithee

Possible the first time I've ever disagreed with Mike Rowe. There *IS* such a thing as a "non-essential worker"; We see it every time there's a budget shutdown. It always bugged me: If they're "non-essential", then why are they there in the first place?

And at the risk of getting crass, I might also mention the 535 member of congress.

Dean Adam Smithee
4 hours ago, KenpoDude said:

The only reason that I need to know for why politicians should NOT be making decisions like this is that if they could succeed in/at business, they would stay in the game and not get into the rule-making.

Sort of the "Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach..." type of thing... although I'm not entirely on board with that expression.  40 years ago I could do anything any other martial arts person could do, and often better.  Now, not so much.  Teaching is an outlet for that, though.

Likewise, not entirely on board either.

I have nothing but ABSOLUTE DISDAIN for those whose only life experience is getting a PhD in "[Fill in the blank] studies", and then without any real-world "experience" immediately going into teaching it.

THAT SIDE, As an Engineer with 30+ years experience, As a "side gig" I've taught any number of times at the Community College level, and even (guest) lectured once or twice at the University level. OBVIOUSLY I'm biased, but I believe there's a place in the "educational system" for people like me. 

Ticked@TinselTown

You know who are truly non-essential?  Politicians.  

Based upon the positive impact they have had on this nation during this pandemic crap, they have PROVEN themselves utterly useless in terms of positive contribution.

As the saying goes, they have done far more harm than good, and you can count that back to the night of the election results showing that President Trump won.

Joe the Pagan

The state of Massachusetts used to have non-essential workers in the state government.  That did not sit well with the vice assistant junior lieutenants throughout the state agencies who were told to stay home during snowstorms.  Now they are called non-emergency workers.