To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
If having issues logging in with login name, try using your DISPLAY name. If your password is the issue and you did not update your email address prior to upgrade, use the Contact Us link at bottom of page for a reset. ×
Bronze & Silver Supporters now have ability to create a blog ×
RightNation.US
Ladybird

Southern Alberta researchers say medical cannabis could help fight COVID-19

Rate this topic

Ladybird

Published Tuesday, April 21, 2020 6:23PM MDT Last Updated Tuesday, April 21, 2020 10:03PM MDT

Excerpt:

LETHBRIDGE, ALTA. -- Researchers at the University of Lethbridge say while clinical trials still need to be done, data they’ve been collecting over the past four years shows promise that some cannabis extracts may help in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19.

Olga and Igor Kovalchuk have been working with cannabis since 2015, using varieties from around the world to create new hybrids and develop extracts that demonstrate certain therapeutic properties.

'There’s a lot of documented information about cannabis in cancer, cannabis in inflammation, anxiety, obesity and what not," says Igor. "When COVID-19 started, Olga had the idea to revisit our data, and see if we can utilize it for COVID."

"It was like a joker card, you know, coronavirus. It just mixes up everybody’s plans," says Olga.

She says they started to examine the special proteins, or receptors, that the virus hijacks to enter the body, and they’ve now submitted a research paper studying the effects of medical cannabis on COVID-19.

"We were totally stunned at first, and then we were really happy," says Olga.

The Kovalchuks say, based on the preliminary data and pending further investigations, anti-inflammatory high-CBD cannabis extracts can modulate the levels of the receptors in highly relevant tissues, such as the mouth, lungs and intestinal cells.

One of the receptors, known as ACE2, has now been shown to be a key gateway, to how the COVID-19 virus enters the body.

"The virus has the capacity to bind to it, and pull it into the cell, almost like a doorway," Olga says.

Other key receptors allow the virus to enter other cells more easily and multiply rapidly. But some cannabis extracts help to reduce inflammation and slow down the virus.

"Imagine a cell being a large building," says Igor. "Cannabinoids decrease the number of doors in the building by, say, 70 per cent, so it means the level of entry will be restricted. So, therefore, you have more chance to fight it."

The early discoveries indicate the cannabis extracts could be used in inhalers, mouthwash and throat gargle products for both clinical practice and at-home treatment.

<snip>

CTV

gravelrash

Big Dope sidling up to Big Pharma (again).  The French believe that smoking cigarettes also combats Wuhan flu.  Guess that carton of cigarettes that I got for Christmas is going to save the neighborhood.

Dean Adam Smithee
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

LETHBRIDGE, ALTA. -- Researchers at the University of Lethbridge say while clinical trials still need to be done, data they’ve been collecting over the past four years shows promise that some cannabis extracts may help in the prevention and treatment of COVID-19.

And suddenly 100,000 stoners across Canada have signed up for clinical trials.

My own theory is that it's possibly not the cannabis but the Cheetos and Doritos. 

MontyPython

Hey, it makes sense on a certain level, LOL: Smoke a bunch of pot, then lay around on the couch all day watching mindless crap like "Gilligan's Island" or "Laverne and Shirley" or whatever, and you won't go anywhere! You'll automatically be "socially distancing".

;) 

LeansToTheRight
59 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

Hey, it makes sense on a certain level, LOL: Smoke a bunch of pot, then lay around on the couch all day watching mindless crap like "Gilligan's Island" or "Laverne and Shirley" or whatever, and you won't go anywhere! You'll automatically be "socially distancing".

;) 

Ha!  I was going to say that it was likely more about social-distancing than anything else.

• Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

'There’s a lot of documented information about cannabis in cancer, cannabis in inflammation, anxiety, obesity and what not," says Igor. "When COVID-19 started, Olga had the idea to revisit our data, and see if we can utilize it for COVID."

You mean as a contributing factor?  So, they want us to stay at home, stuff our faces while blissfully unconcerned about our rights being taken away from us so that when the lockdown ends we're all too fat to get out of our houses unless they cut out a wall?

Awesome!! :2up:

Taggart Transcontinental
3 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Published Tuesday, April 21, 2020 6:23PM MDT Last Updated Tuesday, April 21, 2020 10:03PM MDT

Excerpt:

Olga and Igor Kovalchuk have been working with cannabis since 2015, using varieties from around the world to create new hybrids and develop extracts that demonstrate certain therapeutic properties.

"It was like a joker card, you know, coronavirus. It just mixes up everybody’s plans," says Olga.

She says they started to examine the special proteins, or receptors, that the virus hijacks to enter the body, and they’ve now submitted a research paper studying the effects of medical cannabis on COVID-19.

"We were totally stunned at first, and then we were really happy," says Olga.

The Kovalchuks say, based on the preliminary data and pending further investigations, anti-inflammatory high-CBD cannabis extracts can modulate the levels of the receptors in highly relevant tissues, such as the mouth, lungs and intestinal cells.

One of the receptors, known as ACE2, has now been shown to be a key gateway, to how the COVID-19 virus enters the body.

"The virus has the capacity to bind to it, and pull it into the cell, almost like a doorway," Olga says.

Other key receptors allow the virus to enter other cells more easily and multiply rapidly. But some cannabis extracts help to reduce inflammation and slow down the virus.

"Imagine a cell being a large building," says Igor. "Cannabinoids decrease the number of doors in the building by, say, 70 per cent, so it means the level of entry will be restricted. So, therefore, you have more chance to fight it."

The early discoveries indicate the cannabis extracts could be used in inhalers, mouthwash and throat gargle products for both clinical practice and at-home treatment.

<snip>

CTV

Yes this will save us. A world of doped up idiots. However, HCQ will KILL YOU. YOU WILL DIE FROM IT!!! Yeah I doubt this is anything more than another excuse for world wide pot heads to find another justification to use pot.

Ladybird
3 hours ago, MontyPython said:

;) 

2019-lazy-bastard-2020-responsible-adult

MontyPython
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

2019-lazy-bastard-2020-responsible-adult

Hey, where did you get those photos of me?

Harrumph!

:o

• Haha (+1) 1

Squirrel

I guess it just follows the doctor hook song they were stoned and missed it

• Agree (+1) 1

Hieronymous
20 hours ago, gravelrash said:

Big Dope sidling up to Big Pharma (again).  The French believe that smoking cigarettes also combats Wuhan flu.  Guess that carton of cigarettes that I got for Christmas is going to save the neighborhood.

Burnt phlegm vaccine!

• Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython
16 hours ago, Squirrel said:

I guess it just follows the doctor hook song they were stoned and missed it

Written by the late, great Shel Silverstein!

2 hours ago, Hieronymous said:

Burnt phlegm vaccine!

wE aLl AGreE!

;) 

Ladybird
3 hours ago, Hieronymous said:

Burnt phlegm vaccine!

When I was little, I had a great-aunt that smoked "asthma cigarettes".  I don't know how effective it was. She always had a rolling cough. 

She also gave us a shot of Manechevitz when it was bedtime. That definitely worked.

Severian

Apparently when I was a baby the treatment for a cranky baby was a little bourbon in the formula.

As for the subject of the thread, wouldn't surprise me. CBD compounds (and there are a lot of different ones in pot) have been linked to reduction in inflammation, which is in itself an immune system overreaction. That's the problem with the near total prohibition of marijuana research since the Nixon days, I believe there area a lot of beneficial compounds in pot, both psychoactive and non-psychoactive, but they're only recently being investigated properly. 

• Best Post (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
5 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Written by the late, great Shel Silverstein

Silverstein was a great "Children's" author in the day. Also a great contributor to Playboy mag in the '60s/'70s/'80s.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything.... but I wouldn't hire him as a babysitter.

MontyPython
4 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Silverstein was a great "Children's" author in the day. Also a great contributor to Playboy mag in the '60s/'70s/'80s.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy or anything.... but I wouldn't hire him as a babysitter.

Silverstein was a lyrical/poetic genius. I dunno about "babysitter"; There are millions of people I wouldn't hire as a babysitter. And damn few of them are/were as talented as Shel Silverstein.

:shrug: 

Dean Adam Smithee
3 hours ago, Severian said:

Apparently when I was a baby the treatment for a cranky baby was a little bourbon in the formula

"teething". Honey or Molasses + Bourbon. Applied straight on. I remember it being used on my  younger brothers in the early '70s.

Hieronymous
5 hours ago, Ladybird said:

When I was little, I had a great-aunt that smoked "asthma cigarettes".  I don't know how effective it was. She always had a rolling cough. 

She also gave us a shot of Manechevitz when it was bedtime. That definitely worked.

A cold remedy when I was a kid was a bit of honey, lemon juice and whiskey in a tablespoon.

Ladybird
4 minutes ago, Hieronymous said:

A cold remedy when I was a kid was a bit of honey, lemon juice and whiskey in a tablespoon.

Scotch or brandy here.

My mom said when she was pregnant her OB advised drinking a cocktail in the later months, to calm the baby down. 

Ticked@TinselTown
1 hour ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

"teething". Honey or Molasses + Bourbon. Applied straight on. I remember it being used on my  younger brothers in the early '70s.

Grandma was an RN and when teething it was a touch of whisky rubbed on the gums to soothe the pain and make sleeping easier.

When my mother was pregnant with me, the doctor told her she could indulge in a glass of wine a night. 

If a nursing mother was having trouble having enough milk for her baby, it was commonplace to suggest drinking beer to encourage the production of milk, which, worked.

I remember when I was very little and on the rare times we went out to dinner to an Italian joint, my father would always tip some of his cianti into a glass and dilute it with water for me so that I could have it.  It tasted like crap, but I drank it, and my mother was always terrified that Daddy would get arrested for giving liquor to a child, but nobody blinked.

Then, when I was maybe 6 or 7, we took a road trip up the coat of CA into the wine country and visited, among other places, the Inglenook Winery before Coppola got his greedy hands on it.  The estate was magnificent, built by a former captain who built his home like it could have taken to the waves at any time ( and given the earthquakes in CA, it could have happened eventually ).  Exquisite woodwork throughout the home, his office was truly breathtaking, and then we toured the vineyard and my folks did the wine tasting while I just stared agog at how gorgeous everything was.

Later that night, back at the motel with some wine, fresh fruit from the many myriad home grown fruit stands you could find at the time, along with bread, dried meats and cheese, we were making a fantastic picnic in our room and talking about the adventure of the day.

My parents always encouraged me to share my thoughts and impressions as if I were an adult, which I think helped me to be more observant so that when it was time to share my thoughts, I was more detailed and therefore it seemed like I was absorbing more from each outing.

While we were doing that, my father poured me a small but potent tot of cream sherry from the Inglenook products that they had purchased.  It was maybe two sips worth from the glass that the motels offered ( remember back in the day when the amenities were glass and you trusted that someone actually washed them properly before putting the little paper cap back on the top?)

I thoroughly enjoyed it ( and maintain to this day that it was THE best cream sherry I have ever had) and when my father asked if I wanted more, I told him that I really liked it, but that I was feeling fuzzy and didn't want to go further.

Both of my parents were impressed with that response because they said that it showed them that I understood what my limits were, even at that age.

Honestly, I had no idea about my limits, I just wasn't sure what would happen if I had more, so I called it quits.

These days, I don't self censor the way I did as a zygote.

I'm a grown up and I can damned well imbibe what I want, when I want, and as much as I want, and I always make it a rule of having enough for guests to enjoy to their heart's content, whether it be adult beverages or food.

Bottom line was that my parents believed that if they took the mystery out of alcohol, I wouldn't be sneaking around to have it.  I knew I could drink when I was home if I wanted to, so that my folks could look after me if I had too much, and I could learn the error of overindulgence in the safety of our home instead of being drunk off my ass somewhere that I could be taken advantage of.

As it turned out, I learned to hold my liquor and also provide shelter to those who haven't quite learned that lesson yet...