To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
MTP Reggie

Biologist: Be Less Worried About People Not Wearing Masks, More Worried About Loud Talkers

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

Biologist: Be Less Worried About People Not Wearing Masks, More Worried About Loud Talkers
By  Ashe Schow
DailyWire.com
MAY 20TH, 2020

<More Here>

A biologist whose blog about the coronavirus has gone viral told CNN that you have a higher chance of contracting the virus from someone who is talking loudly in a crowded space than someone who is simply breathing while not wearing a mask.

Erin Bromage, an associate professor of biology at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, started a blog about how the coronavirus spreads to help inform his friends and family. The blog, however, became a huge success, amassing more than 13 million views in a week, CNN reported.

The blog post, “The Risks – Know Them – Avoid Them,” goes into detail about how the coronavirus spreads and how people can best protect themselves. One section of the post discusses how much of the virus is released into the environment under various conditions:

(snip)

<More Here>

Dean Adam Smithee

How 'bout wearing a mask AND not talking loudly???

It's a pet peeve: Go into a restaurant to have a quiet conversation with either a business client or, well, whatever, and your quiet conversation is drowned out by the guy (USUALLY a guy) a dozen tables over whose voice rattles the windows.

Severian

I have to have some workers in to put in cabinets I ordered long before the virus shutdown. We all will be masked, I figure grunting lugging cabinets around will expel more particles, if they are infected. After which we will have the house open with breezes blowing thru, and then sanitize the cabinets. Probably overkill considering the rate of infection here, but it's our decision as we are at risk people so choose to be cautious.

Ladybird
16 hours ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

How 'bout wearing a mask AND not talking loudly???

It's a pet peeve: Go into a restaurant to have a quiet conversation with either a business client or, well, whatever, and your quiet conversation is drowned out by the guy (USUALLY a guy) a dozen tables over whose voice rattles the windows.

Or drowned out by  loud music and roving bands of servers singing the restaurants happy birthday jingle, ending with 'YEE-Haw!".

Severian
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

Or drowned out by  loud music and roving bands of servers singing the restaurants happy birthday jingle, ending with 'YEE-Haw!".

Roving bands of servers? MS or Linux? Oh, wait...never mind.

Ladybird
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Severian said:

Roving bands of servers? MS or Linux? Oh, wait...never mind.

Midrange IBM i

There's a chain steak place called Texas Roadhouse, that the kids adore, but is difficult to have a quiet, adult conservation.

Edited by Ladybird

Severian
1 minute ago, Ladybird said:

Midrange..

There's a chain steak place called Texas Roadhouse, that the kids adore, but is difficult to have a quiet, adult conservation.

I never liked loud restaurants, or bars for that matter. I go out to eat or have a drink to relax, and a place you have to shout to be heard ain't gonna do that. Too many restaurants pay little to no attention to sound absorption, perhaps deliberately. As in, if it's loud you're less likely to linger and they can turn the tables faster.

Oathtaker
9 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Reminds me of when I was younger and a bunch of us SWMs would go out to eat on Friday nights before the inevitable bar crawl. Unbeknownst to one of our group the rest of us decided that whenever we went to a restaurant that did the “ birthday serenade” he’d be the “birthday boy”. We did this to him six or seven times before it got old. We’d forgotten about it but lo and behold one night at the Macaroni Grille it was someone’s birthday. The celebrating party was seated near us. Well at that point, our “birthday boy” had enough of the joke we’d been perpetuating. He kind of lost his cool. The serenaders that particular night walked right past us to the birthday table and started their thing. We laughed about it for weeks.... 

Ticked@TinselTown

Well, then Chuck E Cheese will never open again...