CDC now says coronavirus 'does not spread easily' via contaminated surfaces

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

CDC now says coronavirus 'does not spread easily' via contaminated surfaces
By Madeline Farber
Fox News
05/20/2020

<More Here>

Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here.

For those of you still wiping down groceries and other packages amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, breathe a sigh of relief: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now says the novel virus “does not spread easily” from "touching surfaces or objects" — but experts warn that doesn’t mean it’s no longer necessary to take "practical and realistic" precautions in stopping the spread of COVID-19.

Although when the change was made is not currently clear, the federal health agency appears to have subtly shifted its guidelines from March which simply said it “may be possible” to spread the virus from contaminated surfaces.

"It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes," the CDC said on a now-archived page from March 28. At the time, however, the CDC did note that this possible method of transmission "is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

Even so, the CDC now includes "surfaces or objects" under a section that details ways in which the coronavirus does not readily transmit.

(snip)

<More Here>

erp

But we should all continue to wear masks while riding in our cars, alone.  :thumbsup:

Severian

There's been so much misinformation, both due to incompetence and to push different narratives (you don't need a mask, i.e. we don't have enough for hospitals so we are telling you something counter-intuitive, to suddenly you need a mask and must use one, for example) I don't trust a single damned thing anyone of the alphabet agencies tell me. Good job squandering what public trust you had guys.

• Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup

CDC, setting another record for "flip-flopping".

Ticked@TinselTown

CDC: Can't Determine CRAP!

And what's this going to mean for the tizzy fits that people are having about opening up again? 

Lisa

CDC updates COVID-19 transmission webpage to clarify information about types of spread

Media Statement

For Immediate Release: Friday, May 22, 2020
(404) 639-3286

CDC actively reviews our website to make sure the content is accessible and clear for all types of audiences. As a result of one such review, edits were made to the organization of the COVID-19 transmission page, including adding a headline in an attempt to clarify other types of spread beyond person to person. This change was intended to make it easier to read, and was not a result of any new science.

After media reports appeared that suggested a change in CDC’s view on transmissibility, it became clear that these edits were confusing. Therefore, we have once again edited the page to provide clarity.

The primary and most important mode of transmission for COVID-19 is through close contact from person-to-person. Based on data from lab studies on COVID-19 and what we know about similar respiratory diseases, it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

CDC Media Statement

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How COVID-19 Spreads

Other LanguagesPrint Page

COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly through close contact from person-to-person. Some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus. We are still learning about how the virus spreads and the severity of illness it causes.

Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).

Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.

The virus spreads easily between people

How easily a virus spreads from person-to-person can vary. Some viruses are highly contagious, like measles, while other viruses do not spread as easily. Another factor is whether the spread is sustained, which means it goes from person-to-person without stopping.

The virus that causes COVID-19 is spreading very easily and sustainably between people. Information from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic suggest that this virus is spreading more efficiently than influenza, but not as efficiently as measles, which is highly contagious.

The virus may be spread in other ways

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads.

Spread between animals and people

At this time, the risk of COVID-19 spreading from animals to people is considered to be low. Learn about COVID-19 and pets and other animals.

It appears that the virus that causes COVID-19 can spread from people to animals in some situations. CDC is aware of a small number of pets worldwide, including cats and dogs, reported to be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, mostly after close contact with people with COVID-19. Learn what you should do if you have pets.

Protect yourself and others

The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. You can take steps to slow the spread.

Maintain good social distance (about 6 feet). This is very important in preventing the spread of COVID-19.

Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.

CDC- How Coronavirus Spreads

Lisa
22 hours ago, erp said:

But we should all continue to wear masks while riding in our cars, alone.  :thumbsup:

As I've stated in another thread, people looking into my car may have seen me wearing one, but what they don't know or consider is that I just left one store and was headed to another down the road. Carefully removing it and spraying it down, sanitizing hands, etc. doesn't make much sense for a 3 minute drive when I have to wear the mask again. Pulling it down to my neck makes even less sense since the virus could now be on the mask and I'd be keeping it really close to my mouth and nose,, breathing in anything on the mask, and having it rub off on the skin near my face. Like the CDC and Gov insinuated in the beginning, we may be too dumb to know how to wear masks. For some, it may be safer if they didn't.