MTP Reggie

Masks: Are There Benefits or Just a Comfort Prop? Let the Facts Speak

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

Masks: Are There Benefits or Just a Comfort Prop? Let the Facts Speak
May 21, 2020
Healing Without Hurting

<More Here>

Initially I respected the call by my local Governor in Connecticut to protect our fellow citizens. Deep down I thought it was a little foolish to mandate masks, but love all people and thought I would wear one to help others feel safer. Then, I started digging a little further into the scientific literature. I have discovered that masks are neither safe nor effective. So, as schools prepare to create policies for children returning to school in the fall, we must keep these things in mind.

Masks are Ineffective and Risky, So Stop Calling Us Selfish

In Epidemics 2017, a meta-analysis concluded that masks had a non-significant protective effect. In the Annuals of Internal Medicine, April 2020, “neither surgical nor cotton masks effectively filtered SARS-CoV-2 during coughs by affected people.”

According to a  University of New South Wales, the widespread use of masks by healthcare workers may put them at increased risk of respiratory illness and viral infections, and their global use should be discouraged.

In the British Medical Journal 2015, “Over three times, the risk of contracting influenza-like illness if a cloth mask is used versus no mask at all.” Contaminated masks and masks holding moisture and pathogen retention can increase the risk of infection.

A 2016 study in the Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology found 97% of particles penetrated cloth masks, and 44% of particles penetrated medical masks. They reported that cloth masks are only marginally beneficial in protecting individuals from particles less than 2.5 micrometers. As referenced in the New England Journal of Medicine, the size of Coronavirus particles varied between 0.06 micrometers and 0.14 micrometers.

Cloth and surgical masks do not have a fit test. When worn, gaps around the edges allow small particles to enter the respiratory system. Also, according to the May 2010 edition of  PLoS One, lack of eye protection was a primary risk factor of SARS-CoV transmission.

Wearing a mask for seven hours straight may not be safe. Carbon dioxide (CO2) rebreathing has been recognized as a concern in the  Ergonomics Journal. The CDC has also admitted that the CO2 slowly builds up in the mask over time. This build-up can cause a condition called Hypercapnia. Essentially, CO2 poisoning - can cause mild symptoms of drowsiness or a headache. More severe symptoms can cause shortness of breath and even death. On May 6th, 2020,  the New York Post reported the death of two boys dying within a week of each other while wearing a face mask during gym class.

In February, the CDC said they don’t recommend people use face masks. The World Health Organization also advised people to wear a mask only if they are displaying symptoms of Coronavirus or “taking care of a person with a suspected 2019-nCoV infection.”

There is zero scientific evidence that wearing a mask, especially for more extended periods, protects us. However, several studies found significant problems with wearing one. Side-effects range from headaches to increased airway resistance, carbon dioxide accumulation, hypoxia, to more severe complications.

(snip)

<More Here>

mjperry51

It depends on what Fauci says and when he says it. .  .

Dutch13

I would say that since most of them are not much more than a piece of fabric, they are simply comfort props.  With people touching everything under the sun and then rubbing their face, pulling their mask down to eat or talk, etc, they aren't doing the job that most "mask Nazi's" think they are doing.

• Disagree (-1) 1

Moderator T

If you're sick it can reduce the chances of you spreading your illness a little.  Reduce, not prevent.  I imagine there is a nonzero chance that it would help you catch an airborne illness but that it isn't significant.  I wore one while I had COVID around the house to help my son avoid catching it and wore one in public for the weeks afterwards.  I don't wear one now unless required.

Dutch13
1 hour ago, Moderator T said:

If you're sick it can reduce the chances of you spreading your illness a little.  Reduce, not prevent.  I imagine there is a nonzero chance that it would help you catch an airborne illness but that it isn't significant.  I wore one while I had COVID around the house to help my son avoid catching it and wore one in public for the weeks afterwards.  I don't wear one now unless required.

You are the first person that I "know" that has had it.  Any others on rightnation?

Severian

I only know one person who's got it, the wife of an old coworker who lives in Florida. He hasn't gotten it, and she's recovering without hospitalization or anything other than Tylenol and Advil. I don't personally know of anyone local who's had it.

I think if everyone is masked it does reduce the chances of infection if only by eliminating the biggest goober droplets from spreading around with the highest virus load. But it's not the panacea they make it out to be.

Dean Adam Smithee

I've posted the exact links before, I won't belabor it. (Do y'all trust me as (volunteer) EMS since the '70s that I might know a thing or two?)

Basically,  major study during a Flu Season with parents of flu-children wearing either no mask, "industrial" NIOSH-95 mask or "Surgical" mask.

It was clear: Wearing EITHER mask cut chances of getting it by 50%.

A further study, healthcare workers wearing either NIOSH or Surgical (wearing NO mask was not an option), Surgical seemed to be better by about 1%.

Bad_Apple
Posted (edited)

So I have been asked to help out in the Product Eng. Test Lab at the company I work for the last 2 weeks ( use to work in test lab for 14yrs) been working from home so its nice to go in since outage work is over for the spring and I am home.

Anyway the just now starting Monday the plant wants everybody to wear a mask (any kind) while onsite which I will do.

Here is the kicker the main door to plant is not propped open and everybody has to touch it to go in so I asked the guard how often are they cleaning/wiping down the door he laughed. During the spring when I traveled to Nuke plants for outage they had people around the clock at entry doors wiping them down.   So here is a door handled everybody touches but is not cleaned regularly during shift changes (we work 24 hrs) but now after 3 months we are asked to wear a mask. I sent my Boss and Plant manger an email a with my concerns and to kind of point out the main issues as I see it. My Boss said my access will probably be denied to plant now LOL  (have to submit a request weekly for access) have not heard from plant manager yet.

Edited by Bad_Apple

Oathtaker
7 hours ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

I've posted the exact links before, I won't belabor it. (Do y'all trust me as (volunteer) EMS since the '70s that I might know a thing or two?)

Basically,  major study during a Flu Season with parents of flu-children wearing either no mask, "industrial" NIOSH-95 mask or "Surgical" mask.

A further study, healthcare workers wearing either NIOSH or Surgical (wearing NO mask was not an option), Surgical seemed to be better by about 1%.

A double blind type of thing or just some anecdotal inferences?

Tikk
8 hours ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Well number one.  Most people in the medical profession place the masks on their faces after washing their hands (and hopefully their lower arms).  They also place the masks on their faces to create a good seal around their nose, mouth, and periphery.  

Number two.  Any study determining if a mask is effective on children surely ensures the masks are placed on the children properly, much less let someone else (such as a untrained parent) do it.  I promise you any study that let the children place those PPE as they saw fit would mean F all.

So now we are trusting a population to everything right to get a 50% efficacy.  Everything perfect and keep it that way.

You had people yelling YELLING at another for not wearing a mask.  The jaw opening from yelling would break the best of the seals.  And the velocity of breath of yelling would propel any loaded moisture droplets past any openings and probably through any fabric barrier. 

552ec231-8ecd-4f35-934e-797ca91340b6_tex

So no, I don't think overall masks are effective barriers to coronavirus transmission