To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Liz

Medicaid Expansion To Seniors Who Aren't U.S. Citizens Estimated To Cost Illinois $1.8 Million

Rate this topic

Liz

Washington Examiner

by Greg Bishop, The Center Square

May 29, 2020 06:00 PM

Excerpt:

Illinois could soon allow seniors who are not U.S. citizens access to Medicaid.

Tucked in a budget implementation bill that lawmakers passed last week was a provision to open up Medicaid to seniors 65 and older.

State Rep. Delia Ramirez, D-Chicago, said the benefit wasn’t debated publicly, but was put together by lawmakers in working groups. The benefit is estimated to affect fewer than 900 people with an estimated taxpayer cost of $1.8 million.

“It’s a small, small population, but investing and expanding health care coverage for them would have such an extensive return on investment for all of us,” Ramirez said.

Davesurance.com insurance broker Dave Castillo said he expects the rule change will likely mean higher Medicaid costs in Illinois down the road.

“People who have been a resident of Illinois for a while, I can see maybe they can make some provisions for that, but in its current form it’s so open I fear we could be a mecca for the over 65 who are undocumented,” Castillo said.

Castillo said Ramirez's estimate is likely to increase.

“The $2 million number seems, you know, it seems like it’s ‘oh boy, this sounds wonderful,’ I have my doubts,” Castillo said.

While there are federal provisions for Women, Infant and Children and All Kids-type of programs, Castillo said opening Medicaid to undocumented seniors isn’t allowed.

"I can see this causing fireworks at the federal level," Castillo said. "The federal government could cut out their cost-share for that."

Ramirez said the policy that passed only applies to those at the federal poverty line. She said she was not worried about conflict federal immigration laws.

“We have been in conversation with the governor while he was campaigning and just the importance of the state itself just being able to cover the access and using the resources we have at the state level just to do so,” Ramirez said.

State Rep. Chris Miller, R-Oakland, said the measure is disrespectful to citizens who’ve paid into the system all their lives. He said it was an example of reckless spending approved by Democrats. He said he was concerned the move will add to the burden of the Medicaid system.

*snip*

Full Story

Ticked@TinselTown

When will this EFFING lunacy STOP?!

State Rep. Chris Miller, R-Oakland, said the measure is disrespectful to citizens who’ve paid into the system all their lives. He said it was an example of reckless spending approved by Democrats. He said he was concerned the move will add to the burden of the Medicaid system.

Chris, I'll do you one better here.  It is not ONLY disrespectful to legal American citizens who have paid into the system all their lives, it is also outright THEFT.

• Disagree (-1) 1

ASE

Even allowing just ONE is too many.

• Agree (+1) 1

moocow

Isn’t Illinois one of those states with crushing, unfunded debt?  Why at all would they look for NEW ways to increase spending?

Taggart Transcontinental

Hmm I am sure that cost is grossly underestimated. Try 1.8 Billion.

• Agree (+1) 1