BET founder Robert Johnson calls for $14 trillion of reparations for slavery

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

BET founder Robert Johnson calls for $14 trillion of reparations for slavery
PUBLISHED MON, JUN 1 20208:08 AM EDT UPDATED MON, JUN 1 20203:17 PM EDT
Matthew J. Belvedere
CNBC

<More Here>

Robert Johnson, founder of Black Entertainment Television, told CNBC on Monday the U.S. government should provide $14 trillion of reparations for slavery to help reduce racial inequality.

The wealth divide and police brutality against blacks are at the heart of protests that have erupted across the nation following last week’s killing of George Floyd during an arrest in Minneapolis.

“Now is the time to go big” to keep America from dividing into two separate and unequal societies, Johnson said on “Squawk Box.”

“Wealth transfer is what’s needed,” he argued. “Think about this. Since 200-plus-years or so of slavery, labor taken with no compensation, is a wealth transfer. Denial of access to education, which is a primary driver of accumulation of income and wealth, is a wealth transfer.”

Johnson, 74 made history as America’s first black billionaire when he sold BET to Viacom in 2001. Shortly after the sale, he started the investment firm The RLJ Cos. He’s no longer on the Forbes billionaires list.

Calling reparations the “affirmative action program of all time,” Johnson said they would send the signal that white Americans acknowledge “damages that are owed” for the unequal playing field created by slavery and the decades since with a “wealth transfer to white Americans away from African Americans.”

(snip)

<More Here>

Natural Selection

Businessmen who call for reparations or universal basic income in the name of "equality" are lying. The businesses owned and operated by these businessmen usually receive the bulk of their income from advertising revenue. Companies that pay to place ads on BET, Facebook, etc., do not want to advertise to people with no disposable income. If the end users of BET, Facebook, or any other ad-supported platform don't have any disposable income, then those platforms would lose advertisers. THAT's why people like Robert Johnson and Mark Zuckerberg support reparations and universal basic income. NOT for the "equality", but because they want their end users to have disposable income which attracts the advertisers they depend on.

• Agree (+1) 2

Holland25

Go to Hell. I am in agreement with reparations to everyone else from the black community.  It is too insane to even comment on.

• Agree (+1) 3

Noclevermoniker

Imagine, if you will, a billionaire who can’t do math. No forget that. We have an example right here. 

• Agree (+1) 2

AntiObama

Robert Johnson should have brought this up when President Obama was Biden was sleeping as Veep.

Besides, no one that was in slavery are alive to get money. 

• Agree (+1) 3

Scooter

Ok.. My Great Great Grandfather died in the Civil War on the side of the Union. His death left a wife and two small daughters under the age of 5 destitute. Where are my reparations ?

What about the descendants of other Civil War soldiers who gave up their lives in the same situation?

What about someone from Nigeria or Kenya or where ever who emigrated here in the 70's.

Are they eligible for reparations just because of their skin color?

What about someone from the Caribbean who came here in the 90's who may be descended from slaves under British rule in their home countries?  Are they eligible for reparations too even though they weren't affected by US slavery?

• Agree (+1) 3

Dean Adam Smithee

My dad used to tell me as a kid, "If you keep crying, I'm going to give you something to cry about". (I'll bet I'm not the only one here that's heard that? LOL)

In that same spirit, I wish we could say to this guy, "If you keep crying "reparations",  we'll  give you something to cry "reparations" about." Plenty of African tribes that still practice slavery. Plenty of airlines that still go there on a scheduled basis.

'nuff said.

• Agree (+1) 2

Holland25
21 hours ago, Scooter said:

Ok.. My Great Great Grandfather died in the Civil War on the side of the Union. His death left a wife and two small daughters under the age of 5 destitute. Where are my reparations ?

What about the descendants of other Civil War soldiers who gave up their lives in the same situation?

What about someone from Nigeria or Kenya or where ever who emigrated here in the 70's.

Are they eligible for reparations just because of their skin color?

What about someone from the Caribbean who came here in the 90's who may be descended from slaves under British rule in their home countries?  Are they eligible for reparations too even though they weren't affected by US slavery?

My father's family came from Germany in 1751 to Germantown, PA before it was part of Philadelphia. My direct descendant served in the Revolutionary War in the Southern Campaign. There is a Graveyard in Virginia which has a bronze plague to the heroes of the American Revolution from Virginia he is fifth on that list. His grandson fought for the CSA in the army of Northern Virginia in the War of Northern Oppression. My Mother's family had relatives on the wrong side, the Union side. I had two uncles from Ireland that were in the Irish Brigades. One died in battle. The other was shot in the back and had a toe shot off. He learned to be a shoemaker in the Union Army. I just learned a lot of this stuff. I love when some Lefty says we're all immigrants. I now can give my contemptuous and snobby reply about my family history. Wait, I'll probably find out they were guilty of war crimes.-lol

That_Guy
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 8:25 AM, MontyPython said:

They're no longer even about George Floyd or "police brutality" anymore. They're about smashing & looting. Hurting innocent people and getting free stuff.

Is this what you've gathered from your living room in Blaine, Washington?

On 6/2/2020 at 8:25 AM, MontyPython said:

Every single rioter...of ANY race/creed/color/ethnicity/whatever...should be shot on the spot.

You believe that lethal force is an appropriate response to a non-violent property crime?

Edited by That_Guy
  • Disagree (-1) 3

MontyPython
5 hours ago, That_Guy said:

Is this what you've gathered from your living room in Blaine, Washington?

You believe that lethal force is an appropriate response to a non-violent property crime?

LOL. Clueless as always.

Yes, when you destroy a person's livelihood, life savings, lifetime of hard work, ability to feed their family, etc, you are worthless trash involved in indefensible violence. The world won't mourn your passing.

Naturally YOU see nothing wrong with destroying innocent lives.

<_< 

• Agree (+1) 1

MTP Reggie

Plenty of states certainly do.

• Agree (+1) 1

Natural Selection

A tagger spray-painting his worthless "message" on a privately owned building is non-violent and deserves an ass-beating.

A rioter smashing windows and lighting the building on fire is extremely violent and should be shot while in the act.

• Best Post (+1) 1

That_Guy
2 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Yes, when you destroy a person's livelihood, life savings, lifetime of hard work, ability to feed their family, etc, you are worthless trash involved in indefensible violence. The world won't mourn your passing. 

Dude...what is wrong with you?  You're talking about killing people.

A business owner who had put all of the effort you describe into an enterprise that's as important to them as you describe would have insurance to cover these kinds of losses.

That's no reason for you to be encouraging the state (or even the business owner) to take someone's life.

• Disagree (-1) 3

RedSoloCup
16 minutes ago, That_Guy said:

A business owner who had put all of the effort you describe into an enterprise that's as important to them as you describe would have insurance to cover these kinds of losses.

That's no reason for you to be encouraging the state (or even the business owner) to take someone's life.

jiFfM.jpg

Squirrel
14 minutes ago, That_Guy said:

Someone breaking into your business or home you suggest waiting to see if they are violent? What is wrong with you you care that little about your life or that of your employees or family? Or are you just a coward? I guess you hope for the best and lay down? Maybe call the police and hope they aren’t violent and no one is harmed during the wait time for them to arrive? I’d say that’s sicker an indifference to innocent life. But hey if that works for you. It doesn’t at my house so don’t break in

• Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup
On 6/2/2020 at 7:25 AM, MontyPython said:

Pure horsesh*t. The riots aren't about "wealth divide". They're no longer even about George Floyd or "police brutality" anymore. They're about smashing & looting. Hurting innocent people and getting free stuff. Every single rioter...of ANY race/creed/color/ethnicity/whatever...should be shot on the spot.

And no, Sleepy Joe, not in the leg.

<_<<_<<_< 

:exactly:

Just like the worthless shutdown of the economy over the Kung Fu Flu. It was NEVER about our health,

MontyPython
3 hours ago, That_Guy said:

Yup, I'm talking about killing worthless violent trash who have no concern whatsoever about how severely they harm others, even to the point of death (or were you laboring under the idiotic delusion that before ever starting a fire these monsters check to make certain there's nobody else in the building or anywhere nearby, no other nearby buildings that might also catch fire, which way the wind will blow the sparks, etc etc etc?)

Your characteristic attempt to defend the bad guys duly noted.

:rolleyes:

MTP Reggie
3 hours ago, That_Guy said:

Yes, because we all know that a property crime never escalates, so anyone who owns anything should just assume it never will and let everyone take what they want.

• Agree (+1) 1

MTP Reggie
4 hours ago, That_Guy said:

This will really get your goat. In some states, including Texas, it is legal/justified under some circumstances to use lethal defense to protect a third person's property.

• Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython
16 minutes ago, MTP Reggie said:

This will really get your goat. In some states, including Texas, it is legal/justified under some circumstances to use lethal defense to protect a third person's property.

Hooray for Texas!

(If it wasn't so hot there I'd definitely consider moving to Texas.)

:2up:

MTP Reggie
1 minute ago, MontyPython said:

Hooray for Texas!

(If it wasn't so hot there I'd definitely consider moving to Texas.)

:2up:

It's freaking hot today. I'm inside taking a break to cool off for a few minutes right now.

Natural Selection
4 hours ago, That_Guy said:

Insurance? Do you have any idea how long it takes to get a claim approved and rebuild a business? Do you think Mom and Pop shops have enough money to survive until their business is up and running again? You are absolutely clueless. You sound like you've already taken a brick to the head.

MontyPython
4 minutes ago, MTP Reggie said:

It's freaking hot today. I'm inside taking a break to cool off for a few minutes right now.

I believe it. And I hate hot weather even more than the average person. Even way up here in the PacNW it gets too damn hot for me during the summer months. Seriously. I'm dreading the next three-four months of unbearably hot weather. I could never survive in a genuinely hot place like Texas. 

:hot:

Natural Selection
9 minutes ago, MTP Reggie said:

2 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

I believe it. And I hate hot weather even more than the average person. Even way up here in the PacNW it gets too damn hot for me during the summer months. Seriously. I'm dreading the next three-four months of unbearably hot weather. I could never survive in a genuinely hot place like Texas. 

:hot:

It's not the heat, it's the humidity. :P