To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
kestrel

Change.org doesn't donate the money raised through its record-breaking George Floyd petition — and some donors say they feel misled

Rate this topic

kestrel

C'mon y'all!  it for the People! we gots to get some Ju$$tus (for George) Like I said before..Same oh same oh...

Kestrel...

Change.org doesn't donate the money raised through its record-breaking George Floyd petition — and some donors say they feel misled

aholmes@businessinsider.com (Aaron Holmes)

Change.org

A Change.org petition that calls for "Justice for George Floyd" became the most-signed US petition in the site's history, racking up over 11 million signatures.

After people sign the petition, Change.org urges them to "become a hero" by donating money to "get the petition on the agenda."

But some donors are now criticizing Change.org after realizing donations made through the site don't go to petition organizers or Floyd's family. Instead, Change.org keeps the money, which it says is used to promote the petition on Change.org's own site and elsewhere, and to cover other operational costs.

Change.org includes disclaimers about how donations are used, but some complained that they didn't realize until it was too late.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

A petition hosted on Change.org calling for "Justice for George Floyd" is now the site's most-signed petition ever, the company confirmed on Monday, with over 14 million signatures so far.

But Change.org is now facing backlash for prompting users to donate after they sign the petition — and funneling those donations back to Change.org itself.

This is part of the site's fundraising model: Change.org does not pass along donated funds to petition organizers or to affected parties like Floyd's family, but rather keeps the money and uses it to "circulate" petitions more widely on its own site.

The rest:          https://news.yahoo.com/change-org-keeping-money-raised-191933594.html

Ticked@TinselTown

But some donors are now criticizing Change.org after realizing donations made through the site don't go to petition organizers or Floyd's family. Instead, Change.org keeps the money, which it says is used to promote the petition on Change.org's own site and elsewhere, and to cover other operational costs.

Change.org includes disclaimers about how donations are used, but some complained that they didn't realize until it was too late.

Reading the fine print is fundamental.

Failure to do so does not entitle you to a refund.

• Agree (+1) 2

Ladybird
35 minutes ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

They should change their name to "WE KEEP THA CHANGE.Org"

You should make that a meme..

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

Taggart Transcontinental
14 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

You should make that a meme..

I am not good at meme's but they are good at comic relief. And should be ashamed of themselves. Any money raised for this should go to the family. Not to some political org that is using it to gain power.

Ladybird
Just now, Taggart Transcontinental said:

I am not good at meme's but they are good at comic relief. And should be ashamed of themselves. Any money raised for this should go to the family. Not to some political org that is using it to gain power.

I agree. That's why I avoid all of these online donation fundraisers, unless I know I'm giving it to them directly .

Taggart Transcontinental
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

I agree. That's why I avoid all of these online donation fundraisers, unless I know I'm giving it to them directly .

There is a good go fund me page for the Floyd Family started by the brother.

12.6 Million as of now, almost 109k people donated.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd

What would be awesome, is if DJT made the money earned through this a tax free situation through an executive order.

Edited by Taggart Transcontinental

Holland25
3 hours ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

HaHaHa!

RedSoloCup
6 hours ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

:biglaugh:

ASE

A fool and his/her $$ are soon parted.

(we keep tha Change.org is a good one!)

Hieronymous

Once you see the term “other operational costs” you know something shady is going on with the money.

Natural Selection

There's a sucker born every minute.

Taggart Transcontinental
1 hour ago, Hieronymous said:

Once you see the term “other operational costs” you know something shady is going on with the money.

The good thing about the Army's annual charity program is you could see the operational costs up front for the charity. They like to hide their, I don't think you could get in the army program if the costs exceeded like 15%.

ASE

Are there any 'charities / money laundering schemes' that beat the 'clinton-foundation' operational costs at 90%?

Hieronymous
12 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Donate to me.  I promise you would be giving to me directly.