Jump to content
To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Capn'D

Read What Presidents Obama, Bush, Carter, and Clinton Said About George Floyd

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Capn'D
Posted (edited)

www.msn.com

Read What Presidents Obama, Bush, Carter, and Clinton Said About George Floyd

Chas Danner

6 hrs ago

As the nationwide protests and unrest have continued to spread and intensify since the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police last week, America’s former presidents have been weighing in with their own statements, all of which have diverged — significantly — from President Trump’s widelycriticized responses. Every living former president – Barack Obama, Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush, and Bill Clinton – has spoken out about Floyd’s death, racial injustice, and the nation’s response. Read their reactions below.

President Barack Obama

America’s first black president has responded publicly to Floyd’s death and the subsequent unrest three times over the past week. (His vice president, the current presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, gave a speech about Floyd, the unrest, and Trump’s response on Tuesday.)

On Wednesday, June 3, Obama gave an address to the nation responding to the events during a virtual town hall for his My Brother’s Keeper initiative:

Here is a transcript of Obama’s remarks:

Let me start by just acknowledging that we have seen in the last several weeks, last few months, the kinds of epic changes and events in our country that are as profound as anything that I’ve seen in my lifetime, and I’m now, a lot older than Playon [Patrick], I’m going to be 59 soon. And let me begin by acknowledging that although all of us have been feeling pain, uncertainty, disruption, some folks have been feeling it more than others.

Most of all, the pain that’s been experienced by the families of George [Floyd] and Breonna [Taylor] and Ahmaud [Arbery] and Tony [McDade] and Sean [Reed], and too many others to mention, those that we thought about during that moment of silence. And to those families who have been directly affected by tragedy, please know that Michelle and I and the nation grieve with you, hold you in our prayers. We’re committed to the fight of creating a more just nation in the memory of your sons and daughters, and we can’t forget that even as we’re confronting the particular acts of violence that led to those losses, our nation and the world is still in the midst of a global pandemic that’s exposed the vulnerability of our healthcare system but also the disparate treatment and as consequence, the disparate impact that exists in our healthcare system, the unequal investment, the biases that have led to a disproportionate number of infections and loss of life in communities of color.

So in a lot of ways, what has happened over the last several weeks is challenges and structural problems here in the United States have been thrown into high relief. They are the outcomes not just of the immediate moments in time, but they’re the result of a long history of slavery, Jim Crow, redlining, and institutionalized racism that too often had been the plague, the original sin of our society. And in some ways, as tragic as these past few weeks have been, as difficult and scary and uncertain as they’ve been, they’ve also been an incredible opportunity for people to be awakened to some of these underlining trends, and they offer an opportunity for us to all work together to tackle them, to take them off, to change America and make it live up to its highest ideals.

And part of what’s made me so hopeful is the fact that so many young people have galvanized and activated and motivated and mobilized because historically, so much of the progress that we’ve made in our society has been because of young people. Dr. King was a young man when he got involved. Cesar Chavez was a young man; Malcom X was a young man. The leaders of the feminist movement were young people. The leaders of union movements were young people. The leaders of the environmental movement in this country and the movement to make sure that the LGBT community finally had a voice and was represented were young people. And so when sometimes I feel despair, I just see what’s happening with young people all across the country and the talent and the voice and the sophistication that they’re displaying, and it makes me feel optimistic. It makes me feel as if this country’s going to get better.

Now, I want to speak directly to the young men and women of color in this country, who as Playon just so eloquently described, have witnessed too much violence and too much death and too often some of that violence has come from folks who were supposed to be serving and protecting you. I want you to know that you matter, I want you know that your lives matter, that your dreams matter. When I go home and I look at the faces of my daughters Sasha and Malia, and I look at my nephews and nieces, I see limitless potential that deserves to flourish and thrive. You should be able to learn and make mistakes and live a life of joy without having to worry about what’s going to happen when you walk to the store or go for a jog or driving down the street or looking at some birds in a park. And so I hope that you also feel hopeful even as you may feel angry because you have the power to make things better, and you have helped to make the entire country feel as if this is something that’s got to change. You’ve communicated a sense of urgency that is as powerful and transformative as anything that I’ve seen in recent years.

I want to acknowledge the folks in law enforcement that share the goals of reimagining policing because there are folks out there who took their oath to serve your communities to your countries have a tough job, and I know you’re just as outraged about the tragedies in the recent weeks as are many of the protesters, so we’re grateful for the vast majority of you who protect and serve. I’ve been heartened to see those in law enforcement who recognize, “Let me march along with these protestors. Let me stand side by side and recognize that I want to be part of the solution,” and have shown restraint and volunteered and engaged and listened because you’re a vital part of the conversation, and change is going to require everyone’s participation.

When I was in office, this was mentioned, I created a task force on 21st Century Policing in the wake of the tragic killing of Michael Brown. That task force, which included law enforcement and community leaders and activists, was charged to develop a very specific set of recommendations to strengthen public trust and foster better working relationships with law enforcement and communities that they’re supposed to protect, even as they’re continuing to promote effective crime reduction. And that report showcased a range of solutions and strategies that were proven and that were based on data and research to improve community policing and collect better data and reporting and identify and do something about implicit bias and how police were trained and reforms to use the force the police deploy in ways that increase safety rather than precipitate tragedy.

That report demonstrated something that’s critical for us today. Most of the reforms that are needed to prevent the type of violence and injustices that we’ve seen take place at the local level. A reform has to take place in more than 19,000 American municipalities, more than 18,000 local enforcement jurisdictions. And so as activists and everyday citizens raise their voices, we need to be clear about where change is going to happen and how we can bring about that change.

It is mayors and county executives that appoint most police chiefs and negotiate collective bargaining agreements with police forces, and that determines police practices in local communities. It’s district attorneys and state attorneys that decide typically whether or not to investigate and ultimately charge those involved in police misconduct, and those are all elected positions. And in some places, there are police community review boards with the power to monitor police conduct. Those oftentimes might be elected as well. The bottom line is, I’ve been hearing a little bit of chatter on the internet about voting versus protest, politics and participation versus civil disobedience and direct action. This is not a either/or, this is a both/and. To bring about real change, we both have to highlight a problem and make people in power uncomfortable, but we also have to translate that into practical solutions and laws that can be implemented and we can monitor and make sure we’re following up on.

So very quickly, let me just close with a couple of specific things. What can we do?

Number one, we know there are specific evidence-based reforms that if we put in place today would build trust, save lives, would not show an increase in crime. Those are included in the 21st Century Policing Task Force report. You can find it on Obama.org.

Number two, a lot of mayors and local elected officials read and supported the task force report, but then there wasn’t enough follow up. So today I am urging every mayor in this country to review your use of force policies with members of your community and commit to report on planned reforms. What are the specific steps you can take? And I should add by the way that the original task force report was done several years ago. Since that time, we’ve actually collected data, in part because we implemented some of these reform ideas. So we now have more information and more data as to what works, and there are organizations like Campaign Zero and Color of Change and others that are out there highlighting what the data shows: what works, what doesn’t in terms of reducing incidents police misconduct and violence. Let’s go ahead and start implementing those. So we need mayors, county executives, others who are in positions of power to say this is a priority, this is a specific response.

Number three, every city in this country should be a My Brother’s Keeper community because we have 250 cities, counties, tribal nations who are working to reduce the barriers and expand opportunity for boys and young men of color through programs and policy reforms and public-private partnerships. So go to our website. Get working with that because it can make a difference.

 

Edited by Moderator T
Whole article posted
  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mrdirt73

That's quite the excerpt.

  • Haha (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedSoloCup
2 hours ago, Specs said:

Do not care what the racists past Presidents have to say on the matter, they did nothing to help when they ran the country.

:exactly:

Especially Barry.

  • Agree (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedSoloCup
2 minutes ago, Specs said:

Yes. Barry the Muslim was definite a divisive POS. He personally set race relations back at least 50 years.

:exactly:

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
55 minutes ago, RedSoloCup said:

:exactly:

Especially Barry.

Yup, and I'll go further. Not only did he "not help", he went to great lengths to HURT the very principles this country is supposed to be based upon and stand for. Obama was a criminal, nothing more and nothing less.

<_< 

 

  • Agree (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zurg
5 hours ago, Mrdirt73 said:

That's quite the excerpt.

Yes it is. It's the perfect opportunity to remind Monty of this little acronym. TL;dr.

  • Agree (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
10 minutes ago, zurg said:

Yes it is. It's the perfect opportunity to remind Monty of this little acronym. TL;dr.

LOL

:spank:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedSoloCup
10 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Yup, and I'll go further. Not only did he "not help", he went to great lengths to HURT the very principles this country is supposed to be based upon and stand for. Obama was a criminal, nothing more and nothing less.

<_< 

 

:exactly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ladybird
13 hours ago, Specs said:

Yes. Barry the Muslim was definite a divisive POS. He personally set race relations back at least 50 years.

Only to the blind, in denial about race relations in the first place.

  • Best Post (+1) 1
  • Confused 2
  • Disagree (-1) 5
  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedSoloCup
7 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Only to the blind, in denial about race relations in the first place.

🥱

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

Only to the blind, in denial about race relations in the first place.

Utter nonsense.

:rolleyes: 

 

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Specs
8 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Only to the blind, in denial about race relations in the first place.

Yes you are truly blind about race relations :) Of course, you do support those that enslaved your relations, so that says something about you.

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
6 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Only to the blind, in denial about race relations in the first place.

The only plausible explanation I can come up is that to them "race relations" = "how much political tension over race issues affects white people".

They may not think that is what they are doing but it is.  To say that race relations have been "set back 50 years" you have to completely ignore the injustices that were being done to blacks 50 years ago.

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magic Rat
7 minutes ago, Timothy said:

The only plausible explanation I can come up is that to them "race relations" = "how much political tension over race issues affects white people".

They may not think that is what they are doing but it is.  To say that race relations have been "set back 50 years" you have to completely ignore the injustices that were being done to blacks 50 years ago.

So tell me what you witnessed in race relations in 1970...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
1 hour ago, Timothy said:

The only plausible explanation I can come up is that to them "race relations" = "how much political tension over race issues affects white people".

They may not think that is what they are doing but it is.  To say that race relations have been "set back 50 years" you have to completely ignore the injustices that were being done to blacks 50 years ago.

If that's REALLY the "only plausible explanation" you can come up with, then you openly display your naïveté on the subject. Exactly what were YOU witnessing 50 years ago? Were you alive then? Some of us saw REAL racism during its heyday. Born in the 50s, grew up in the 60s, SAW for myself actual "whites only" counters and such. The fact is that before Obama racism was pretty much a thing of the past. Yes of course there were exceptions. Yes of course racism could still be found in isolated places. But they were exceptions. They were isolated places. 

Obama made anti-white racism a central part of his "legacy", and it set racial relations in America back AT LEAST a half a century.

B)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
3 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

If that's REALLY the "only plausible explanation" you can come up with, then you openly display your naïveté on the subject. Exactly what were YOU witnessing 50 years ago? Were you alive then? Some of us saw REAL racism during its heyday. Born in the 50s, grew up in the 60s, SAW for myself actual "whites only" counters and such. The fact is that before Obama racism was pretty much a thing of the past. Yes of course there were exceptions. Yes of course racism could still be found in isolated places. But they were exceptions. They were isolated places. 

Obama made anti-white racism a central part of his "legacy", and it set racial relations in America back AT LEAST a half a century.

B)

 

If you lived through "whites only" counters and the like and believe that Obama brought race relations to a point just as bad as that era, and that "anti-white racism" is equitable to it, I don't know what to say.

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
30 minutes ago, Timothy said:

If you lived through "whites only" counters and the like and believe that Obama brought race relations to a point just as bad as that era, and that "anti-white racism" is equitable to it, I don't know what to say.

Yes, that's obvious.

The fact remains that some of us lived through the times when racism was reality, and saw for ourselves how Obama made it reality again.

He was a shameless racist. "Typical white person"..."Police acted stupidly"..."If I had a son"...and plenty more. Just like all racists, he made a point of separating races as opposed to joining them. But I can forgive your ignorance this one time, since you simply aren't old enough to remember the REAL racism of yesteryear. The racism Obama deliberately rekindled.

B)

 

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
8 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

Yes, that's obvious.

The fact remains that some of us lived through the times when racism was reality, and saw for ourselves how Obama made it reality again.

He was a shameless racist. "Typical white person"..."Police acted stupidly"..."If I had a son"...and plenty more. Just like all racists, he made a point of separating races as opposed to joining them. But I can forgive your ignorance this one time, since you simply aren't old enough to remember the REAL racism of yesteryear. The racism Obama deliberately rekindled.

B)

 

Show me where under Obama white people were lynched.  Show me where under Obama white people had to sit at the back of the bus.  Show me where under Obama white people were systemically denied the right to vote.  Show me where under Obama white people couldn't go into many businesses.

The idea that there is any kind of "anti-white racism" that is even REMOTELY comparable to what black people experienced during segregation and Jim Crow is INSANE.

  • Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
41 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Show me where under Obama white people were lynched.  Show me where under Obama white people had to sit at the back of the bus.  Show me where under Obama white people were systemically denied the right to vote.  Show me where under Obama white people couldn't go into many businesses.

The idea that there is any kind of "anti-white racism" that is even REMOTELY comparable to what black people experienced during segregation and Jim Crow is INSANE.

Incredible. :rolleyes: *sigh*

Yes Timothy, the stuff from a hundred years ago was even worse. Meanwhile the fact remains that the level of racism and hatred today is as bad as (or worse than) it ever used to be DURING ANY OF OUR LIFETIMES. And that includes those of us whose lifetimes are 65+ years.

Are you really going to try to contradict somebody who actually lived during those years??

Good luck.

:rolleyes:

 

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator T
On 6/4/2020 at 3:34 PM, Capn'D said:

www.msn.com

Read What Presidents Obama, Bush, Carter, and Clinton Said About George Floyd

Chas Danner

6 hrs ago

As the nationwide protests and unrest have continued to spread and intensify since the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police last week, America’s former presidents have been weighing in with their own statements, all of which have diverged — significantly — from President Trump’s widelycriticized responses. Every living former president – Barack Obama, Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush, and Bill Clinton – has spoken out about Floyd’s death, racial injustice, and the nation’s response. Read their reactions below.

President Barack Obama

America’s first black president has responded publicly to Floyd’s death and the subsequent unrest three times over the past week. (His vice president, the current presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, gave a speech about Floyd, the unrest, and Trump’s response on Tuesday.)

On Wednesday, June 3, Obama gave an address to the nation responding to the events during a virtual town hall for his My Brother’s Keeper initiative:

Here is a transcript of Obama’s remarks:

Let me start by just acknowledging that we have seen in the last several weeks, last few months, the kinds of epic changes and events in our country that are as profound as anything that I’ve seen in my lifetime, and I’m now, a lot older than Playon [Patrick], I’m going to be 59 soon. And let me begin by acknowledging that although all of us have been feeling pain, uncertainty, disruption, some folks have been feeling it more than others.

Most of all, the pain that’s been experienced by the families of George [Floyd] and Breonna [Taylor] and Ahmaud [Arbery] and Tony [McDade] and Sean [Reed], and too many others to mention, those that we thought about during that moment of silence. And to those families who have been directly affected by tragedy, please know that Michelle and I and the nation grieve with you, hold you in our prayers. We’re committed to the fight of creating a more just nation in the memory of your sons and daughters, and we can’t forget that even as we’re confronting the particular acts of violence that led to those losses, our nation and the world is still in the midst of a global pandemic that’s exposed the vulnerability of our healthcare system but also the disparate treatment and as consequence, the disparate impact that exists in our healthcare system, the unequal investment, the biases that have led to a disproportionate number of infections and loss of life in communities of color.

So in a lot of ways, what has happened over the last several weeks is challenges and structural problems here in the United States have been thrown into high relief. They are the outcomes not just of the immediate moments in time, but they’re the result of a long history of slavery, Jim Crow, redlining, and institutionalized racism that too often had been the plague, the original sin of our society. And in some ways, as tragic as these past few weeks have been, as difficult and scary and uncertain as they’ve been, they’ve also been an incredible opportunity for people to be awakened to some of these underlining trends, and they offer an opportunity for us to all work together to tackle them, to take them off, to change America and make it live up to its highest ideals.

And part of what’s made me so hopeful is the fact that so many young people have galvanized and activated and motivated and mobilized because historically, so much of the progress that we’ve made in our society has been because of young people. Dr. King was a young man when he got involved. Cesar Chavez was a young man; Malcom X was a young man. The leaders of the feminist movement were young people. The leaders of union movements were young people. The leaders of the environmental movement in this country and the movement to make sure that the LGBT community finally had a voice and was represented were young people. And so when sometimes I feel despair, I just see what’s happening with young people all across the country and the talent and the voice and the sophistication that they’re displaying, and it makes me feel optimistic. It makes me feel as if this country’s going to get better.

Now, I want to speak directly to the young men and women of color in this country, who as Playon just so eloquently described, have witnessed too much violence and too much death and too often some of that violence has come from folks who were supposed to be serving and protecting you. I want you to know that you matter, I want you know that your lives matter, that your dreams matter. When I go home and I look at the faces of my daughters Sasha and Malia, and I look at my nephews and nieces, I see limitless potential that deserves to flourish and thrive. You should be able to learn and make mistakes and live a life of joy without having to worry about what’s going to happen when you walk to the store or go for a jog or driving down the street or looking at some birds in a park. And so I hope that you also feel hopeful even as you may feel angry because you have the power to make things better, and you have helped to make the entire country feel as if this is something that’s got to change. You’ve communicated a sense of urgency that is as powerful and transformative as anything that I’ve seen in recent years.

I want to acknowledge the folks in law enforcement that share the goals of reimagining policing because there are folks out there who took their oath to serve your communities to your countries have a tough job, and I know you’re just as outraged about the tragedies in the recent weeks as are many of the protesters, so we’re grateful for the vast majority of you who protect and serve. I’ve been heartened to see those in law enforcement who recognize, “Let me march along with these protestors. Let me stand side by side and recognize that I want to be part of the solution,” and have shown restraint and volunteered and engaged and listened because you’re a vital part of the conversation, and change is going to require everyone’s participation.

When I was in office, this was mentioned, I created a task force on 21st Century Policing in the wake of the tragic killing of Michael Brown. That task force, which included law enforcement and community leaders and activists, was charged to develop a very specific set of recommendations to strengthen public trust and foster better working relationships with law enforcement and communities that they’re supposed to protect, even as they’re continuing to promote effective crime reduction. And that report showcased a range of solutions and strategies that were proven and that were based on data and research to improve community policing and collect better data and reporting and identify and do something about implicit bias and how police were trained and reforms to use the force the police deploy in ways that increase safety rather than precipitate tragedy.

That report demonstrated something that’s critical for us today. Most of the reforms that are needed to prevent the type of violence and injustices that we’ve seen take place at the local level. A reform has to take place in more than 19,000 American municipalities, more than 18,000 local enforcement jurisdictions. And so as activists and everyday citizens raise their voices, we need to be clear about where change is going to happen and how we can bring about that change.

It is mayors and county executives that appoint most police chiefs and negotiate collective bargaining agreements with police forces, and that determines police practices in local communities. It’s district attorneys and state attorneys that decide typically whether or not to investigate and ultimately charge those involved in police misconduct, and those are all elected positions. And in some places, there are police community review boards with the power to monitor police conduct. Those oftentimes might be elected as well. The bottom line is, I’ve been hearing a little bit of chatter on the internet about voting versus protest, politics and participation versus civil disobedience and direct action. This is not a either/or, this is a both/and. To bring about real change, we both have to highlight a problem and make people in power uncomfortable, but we also have to translate that into practical solutions and laws that can be implemented and we can monitor and make sure we’re following up on.

So very quickly, let me just close with a couple of specific things. What can we do?

Number one, we know there are specific evidence-based reforms that if we put in place today would build trust, save lives, would not show an increase in crime. Those are included in the 21st Century Policing Task Force report. You can find it on Obama.org.

Number two, a lot of mayors and local elected officials read and supported the task force report, but then there wasn’t enough follow up. So today I am urging every mayor in this country to review your use of force policies with members of your community and commit to report on planned reforms. What are the specific steps you can take? And I should add by the way that the original task force report was done several years ago. Since that time, we’ve actually collected data, in part because we implemented some of these reform ideas. So we now have more information and more data as to what works, and there are organizations like Campaign Zero and Color of Change and others that are out there highlighting what the data shows: what works, what doesn’t in terms of reducing incidents police misconduct and violence. Let’s go ahead and start implementing those. So we need mayors, county executives, others who are in positions of power to say this is a priority, this is a specific response.

Number three, every city in this country should be a My Brother’s Keeper community because we have 250 cities, counties, tribal nations who are working to reduce the barriers and expand opportunity for boys and young men of color through programs and policy reforms and public-private partnerships. So go to our website. Get working with that because it can make a difference.

 

Mod Note: Please do not post full articles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedSoloCup
16 hours ago, Timothy said:

The only plausible explanation I can come up is that to them "race relations" = "how much political tension over race issues affects white people".

They may not think that is what they are doing but it is.  To say that race relations have been "set back 50 years" you have to completely ignore the injustices that were being done to blacks 50 years ago.

:yawn:

15 hours ago, MontyPython said:

If that's REALLY the "only plausible explanation" you can come up with, then you openly display your naïveté on the subject. Exactly what were YOU witnessing 50 years ago? Were you alive then? Some of us saw REAL racism during its heyday. Born in the 50s, grew up in the 60s, SAW for myself actual "whites only" counters and such. The fact is that before Obama racism was pretty much a thing of the past. Yes of course there were exceptions. Yes of course racism could still be found in isolated places. But they were exceptions. They were isolated places. 

Obama made anti-white racism a central part of his "legacy", and it set racial relations in America back AT LEAST a half a century.

B)

 

:exactly:

15 hours ago, Timothy said:

If you lived through "whites only" counters and the like and believe that Obama brought race relations to a point just as bad as that era, and that "anti-white racism" is equitable to it, I don't know what to say.

 

14 hours ago, Timothy said:

Show me where under Obama white people were lynched.  Show me where under Obama white people had to sit at the back of the bus.  Show me where under Obama white people were systemically denied the right to vote.  Show me where under Obama white people couldn't go into many businesses.

The idea that there is any kind of "anti-white racism" that is even REMOTELY comparable to what black people experienced during segregation and Jim Crow is INSANE.

:yawn:

  • Disagree (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...