To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Capn'D

Trump says he hopes George Floyd 'looking down' and seeing today’s jobs numbers as 'a great day for him'

Rate this topic

Squirrel
19 minutes ago, kestrel said:

Now its only five! Looks like T_G is coming around!

K...

Maths hard I’m sure someone can make him a pie chart or graph

Buckwheat Jones
3 hours ago, Squirrel said:

3 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Anton? Somebody finally needs you. Be quick about it, boy. 

Timothy
On 6/5/2020 at 8:41 PM, zurg said:

“Equal justice under the law must mean that every American receives equal treatment in every encounter with law enforcement regardless of race, color, gender or creed. They have to receive fair treatment from law enforcement”

”We can’t let that happen. Hopefully George is looking down right now and saying ‘this is a great thing that’s happening for our country’. This is a great day for him. This is a great day for everybody, this is a great, great day in terms of equality.”

————

First: it is absolutely obvious that this has nothing to do with jobs numbers or the stock market or financial results or any of that. It’s obvious that Trump is speaking of justice under the law, and of law enforcement, of equal treatment for all, obviously including blacks. It’s obvious that by the second paragraph, Trump’s referral to George isn’t about what the media claimed it was about. In fact, it is so obviously not about what they claimed it was about, that the media (as usual) are deliberately lying. This simply cannot be argued against. This is what Trump has to deal with all the time. It’s prototypical FAKE NEWS. 

Second: it’s less clear why Trump is saying that this is a great day for George, because detractors will say, wait he’s dead, how is that great. But Trump is clearly stating his belief that George’s soul isn’t actually dead, but can look at his life having been worthwhile because Trump agrees that progress is being and will be made on equal treatment under the law, which will be fairer to blacks, according to Trump. BTW, several black speakers have mentioned that now that George died, he achieved much more than he probably expected in his life. That the benefit to others makes it societally worthwhile. That is, Trump is not the only one saying things like this. 

I actually (before my last post) went back and skimmed through his whole address.  It covered a whole lot of different topics in a stream of conscious manner and he jumped between those topics on a dime.  It would not have been "out of character" for him to have thrown in something about jobs numbers (the main topic the address covered) in the middle of talking about George Floyd.  I'm not saying that's what he did, but it's not implausible that is what he was referring to.  Elsewhere in his statement he linked the jobs numbers to equality:

"What we’re announcing today is a tremendous tribute to equality. We’re bringing our jobs back. When we had our tremendous numbers. And when we had just prior to the China plague that floated in, we had numbers, the best in history for African American, for Hispanic American, and for Asian American and for everybody. Best for women, best for people without a diploma, young people without a diploma. I mean so many different categories. Our numbers were the best in almost every category."

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4879876/user-clip-remarks-mentioning-george-floyd-president-trump-june-5-2020

Your interpretation is also plausible.  I stand by my assertion that it was ambiguous.