Surprise job gains imperil push for massive pandemic relief

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

Surprise job gains imperil push for massive pandemic relief

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/

by Jay Heflin

June 05, 2020 

Article:

A surprise gain in jobs reported on Friday is likely to slow momentum for another round of major fiscal relief from Congress.

Stephen Moore, an outside adviser to President Trump and a contributor to the Washington Examiner, said that Friday’s jobs report should lead Congress not to pursue further relief.

“After the jobs report this morning, I think the White House and Congress are going to really reconsider the need for any kind of spending and probably kills the idea of the 'blue state bailout,'" Moore told the Washington Examiner.

Chuck Grassley, the Republican chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, downplayed the urgency of enacting the kind of massive stimulus measure sought by congressional Democrats.

“The jobs report underscores why Congress should take a thoughtful approach and not rush to pass expensive legislation paid for with more debt before gaining a better understanding of the economic condition of the country," said Michael Zona, a spokesman for the Iowa senator.

The Labor Department reported on Friday that the economy gained 2.5 million jobs in May, lowering the unemployment rate to 13.3%. Forecasters expected job losses of 8 million and an unemployment rate of about 20%.

Conservatives cited the job gains as a reason for caution about further relief.

“Congress should slow down, learn from past stimulus failures, and fix policy mistakes that discourage work and economic recovery,” said Rachel Greszler, a research fellow in economics at the right-leaning Heritage Foundation.

She noted that “many workers haven’t been permanently separated from their jobs" and that parts of the economy are restarting.

House Democrats last month approved a $3 trillion relief package. The bill includes nearly $1 trillion in aid to state and local governments, which cut nearly 600,000 jobs in May, Friday's report showed.

Many Republicans, though, are concerned that state and local governments might use the money for nonvirus issues, such as shoring up pension funds.

Trump, however, endorsed the idea of more relief. "We’re set up to do more if we want. I think we should because we are dominant," he said at the White House on Friday.

Vice President Mike Pence said on Friday that the White House is open to providing aid to state and local governments in the next relief package as long as the funding goes to coronavirus-related expenses.

Full Story

LongKnife

Dems will be fuming over this.

Ticked@TinselTown
1 hour ago, LongKnife said:

More fuel for their ' throw everything at him, including the bathwater and the baby' agenda...

AntiObama

In addition to this amazing jobs report and the riots, looting and arson is going to cost billions there is no need to send out COVID checks.

Taggart Transcontinental

Yes and no utopia building for them!

Howsithangin

One particular poster is currently on suicide watch 😜

Specs
5 hours ago, Howsithangin said:

One particular poster is currently on suicide watch 😜

Only one? I can name five right now that are going to be having a rough weekend because the President was able to get some great employment numbers.

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, LongKnife said:

That’s true - 100,000-200,000 dead, 13-16% unemployment, ~30% annualized GDP contraction, 3-4 trillion dollar deficit, huge protesting in the streets and an assclown in the WH just when this country needs steady, inspiring leadership to steer the ship.

It’s upsetting and if you think 2 million jobs showing up for May means we are out of a very deep ditch you need to think again.

Edited by AntonToo
  • Disagree (-1) 4

LongKnife
2 hours ago, AntonToo said:

That’s true - 100,000-200,000 dead, 13-16% unemployment, ~30% annualized GDP contraction, 3-4 trillion dollar deficit, huge protesting in the streets and an assclown in the WH just when this country needs steady, inspiring leadership to steer the ship.

It’s upsetting and if you think 2 million jobs showing up for May means we are out of a very deep ditch you need to think again.

The forces aligned against Trump and America are indeed capable of great evil, as the figures you provide demonstrate. The “assclown in the WH” only looks better as he brings the nation back. 

lf you think 2 million jobs showing up for May means nothing, you need to think again.

• Best Post (+1) 1

Howsithangin
10 hours ago, AntonToo said:

I'd say 'nice try', but it wasn't.   

200,000 dead?  where?  100,000 yes.  Like that was Trump or any Amer8ch[s fault?  Look to your friends the ChiComs if you'd like to assign blame. FAIL

As for unemployment, blame the ChiComs for the initial, then your blue state governors for exacerbating and dragging it out.  Ditto the GDP contraction. FAIL

3.4T deficit?  :biglaugh:  since when are you proglodytes concerned about deficits!  And Nancy, Chuck & Co want to spend more! FAIL

Rioting?  What exactly does Trump have to do with anything in regards to that topic?  MN is run top to bottom by dems.  Riots almost overwhelmingly in dem cities, riots  caused by your friends Antifa.  FAIL

• Agree (+1) 1

Howsithangin

high times for you and your fellow Anti-Americans eh?

Natural Selection

Blame the dead on China. Blame the unemployment on the governors shutting down the economy. Blame the deficit on the governors shutting down the economy.

The jobs report? Proof that Trump's solid economic foundation works. Better than expected!

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Natural Selection said:

Blame the dead on China. Blame the unemployment on the governors shutting down the economy. Blame the deficit on the governors shutting down the economy.

The jobs report? Proof that Trump's solid economic foundation works. Better than expected!

Blame everyone but Trump, credit no one but Trump.

Gotcha.

Edited by AntonToo

LongKnife
1 hour ago, AntonToo said:

Gotcha.

As opposed to blaming no one but Trump and crediting everyone but Trump.

AntonToo
10 minutes ago, LongKnife said:

As opposed to blaming no one but Trump and crediting everyone but Trump.

Quote me doing that.

zurg
2 hours ago, AntonToo said:

Quote me doing that.

It’s impossible to quote all your posts. 

• Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython
9 hours ago, AntonToo said:

Gotcha.

Blaming those actually responsible. Just honesty, not partisanship.

But of course you're unfamiliar with the concept of honesty, as you've been proving around here for years.

<_<

AntonToo
2 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Blaming those actually responsible. Just honesty, not partisanship

You are seriously naive if you think the two are mutually exclusive.

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, zurg said:

It’s impossible to quote all your posts. 

All? :rolleyes: How about one.

Edited by AntonToo

MontyPython
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, AntonToo said:

You are seriously naive if you think the two are mutually exclusive.

Who said the two were mutually exclusive? Not me. I'm not suggesting the two concepts (honesty and partisanship) aren't compatible. My point is that YOU, PERSONALLY, have repeatedly demonstrated a severe aversion to honesty and non-partisanship.

B)

Edited by MontyPython

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

Who said the two were mutually exclusive? Not me. I'm not suggesting the two concepts (honesty and partisanship) aren't compatible. My point is that YOU, PERSONALLY, have repeatedly demonstrated a severe aversion to honesty and non-partisanship.

B)

Quote me being partisan and lying about something, instead of honestly expressing my opinion.

Edited by AntonToo

MontyPython
22 minutes ago, AntonToo said:

Quote me being partisan and lying about something, instead of honestly expressing my opinion.

:thud:

Click on ANY post of yours in ANY thread.

B)