To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Capn'D

Trump claims he’s done more for black Americans than any president other than Lincoln

Rate this topic

Capn'D

Trump claims he’s done more for black Americans than any president other than Lincoln

By Paul Steinhauser | Fox News

President Trump’s touting that he’s “done much more” for black Americans than his Democratic challenger Joe Biden.

And the president argues that he’s done more than any predecessor in American history with “the possible exception” of Abraham Lincoln, who freed black people from slavery during the Civil War.

Trump’s tweets on Wednesday come as the nation faced more than a week of peaceful protests as well as violent clashes and rioting sparked by the death of George Floyd, a black man from Minnesota who died last week after a white Minneapolis police officer put his knee on the handcuffed Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes.

The president’s faced widespread criticism from Democrats and even some Republicans for some of his controversial comments and responses since the start of the unrest that’s swept many cities across the country.

Taking to Twitter, Trump compared his record to that of the former vice president and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

“In 3 1/2 years, I’ve done much more for our Black population than Joe Biden has done in 43 years. Actually, he set them back big time with his Crime Bill, which he doesn’t even remember,” he tweeted.

Taggart Transcontinental
13 minutes ago, Capn'D said:

By Paul Steinhauser | Fox News

President Trump’s touting that he’s “done much more” for black Americans than his Democratic challenger Joe Biden.

And the president argues that he’s done more than any predecessor in American history with “the possible exception” of Abraham Lincoln, who freed black people from slavery during the Civil War.

Trump’s tweets on Wednesday come as the nation faced more than a week of peaceful protests as well as violent clashes and rioting sparked by the death of George Floyd, a black man from Minnesota who died last week after a white Minneapolis police officer put his knee on the handcuffed Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes.

The president’s faced widespread criticism from Democrats and even some Republicans for some of his controversial comments and responses since the start of the unrest that’s swept many cities across the country.

Taking to Twitter, Trump compared his record to that of the former vice president and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

“In 3 1/2 years, I’ve done much more for our Black population than Joe Biden has done in 43 years. Actually, he set them back big time with his Crime Bill, which he doesn’t even remember,” he tweeted.

Is he wrong? I don't think so.

George Bailey

A rising tide raises all ships.  All ships benefit including the ships of color.

Oathtaker
1 hour ago, George Bailey said:

A rising tide raises all ships.  All ships benefit including the ships of color.

As long as the ships are not on fire...

You a Kennedy Dem?

zurg
Posted (edited)

I looked up the actual tweet. Now it’s my turn to criticize Trump. Everything was fine and correct except for “with the possible exception of Lincoln”. 

It’s not a “possible” exception. It is an absolute exception. Trump hasn’t done more for blacks than Lincoln, at the big picture level. That’s a ridiculous way to state it. 

Trump should have said “more than any modern president since _____” (FDR or whoever). Then acknowledge that “of course my help to the blacks still falls way short of Lincoln, but I want to do more.” And then make the point about Biden. 

Edited by zurg

Severian
Posted (edited)

Before you get too misty eyed over old Honest Abe, remember that if Mr. Booth hadn't had a disagreement with him over seating at the theater Lincoln's idea was that after the war he was going to expatriate most blacks to colonies in Africa (such as Liberia) and Latin America. He may have used freeing slaves (blacks) as a useful political tool to rationalize a war, but he in no way was fond of them.

Same goes for generals like Tecumseh Sherman, he was one of the most overtly racist and bigoted men ever to ride a saddle. 

Edited by Severian
Can't spell

zurg
34 minutes ago, Severian said:

Before you get too misty eyed over old Honest Abe, remember that if Mr. Booth hadn't had a disagreement with him over seating at the theater Lincoln's idea was that after the war he was going to expatriate most blacks to colonies in Africa (such as Liberia) and Latin America. He may have used freeing slaves (blacks) as a useful political tool to rationalize a war, but he in no way was fond of them.

Same goes for generals like Tecumseh Sherman, he was one of the most overtly racist and bigoted men ever to ride a saddle. 

Yup, I know that background, that’s why I was looking for a brief way to say something and settled on “at the big picture level”. 

Because there’s no way to change the way history books have been written, and Trump shouldn’t take that on. 

MontyPython

And in any case, setting aside all debate over Lincoln's "goodness" or "badness", the REST of Trump's point is 100% true: He HAS done more for blacks (& other minorities) than any other president. Or at the very least, any other modern president.

:yes:

Natural Selection

In yet another example of completely shameless democrat dishonesty, Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago has a plaque mounted to a building that claims the REPUBLICAN President Lincoln was a democrat.

lincoln-democrat.jpg

(source)

Ticked@TinselTown
5 hours ago, zurg said:

I looked up the actual tweet. Now it’s my turn to criticize Trump. Everything was fine and correct except for “with the possible exception of Lincoln”. 

It’s not a “possible” exception. It is an absolute exception. Trump hasn’t done more for blacks than Lincoln, at the big picture level. That’s a ridiculous way to state it. 

Trump should have said “more than any modern president since _____” (FDR or whoever). Then acknowledge that “of course my help to the blacks still falls way short of Lincoln, but I want to do more.” And then make the point about Biden. 

Lincoln didn't want to do anything for blacks, it was a side effect of his plans as stated in his own personal letters to friends.

zurg
11 minutes ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

Lincoln didn't want to do anything for blacks, it was a side effect of his plans as stated in his own personal letters to friends.

But history books say Lincoln freed the slaves, and in short term that’s what matters. Longer term? Maybe it all gets corrected. 

Ticked@TinselTown
4 minutes ago, zurg said:

But history books say Lincoln freed the slaves, and in short term that’s what matters. Longer term? Maybe it all gets corrected. 

History books are not always written with all the facts included, because, as we all know, narratives tend to be important, especially after a war that devastated a nation has concluded.

Plus, it's always easy to re-write history or misquote the facts when you have a massive number of people in this world who are too lazy to actually do something more than a Google search to find the 'truth'.

Severian

The winners of a war write the history books about that war, and seldom if ever do they want to argue that they were the bad guys or committed any sins.

zurg
2 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

History books are not always written with all the facts included, because, as we all know, narratives tend to be important, especially after a war that devastated a nation has concluded.

Plus, it's always easy to re-write history or misquote the facts when you have a massive number of people in this world who are too lazy to actually do something more than a Google search to find the 'truth'.

I hope you don’t think I’m arguing against that or that I disagree...I don’t. 

All I’m saying is that with everything Trump has to battle, don’t compare yourself to Lincoln quite yet. See, I think that particular comment is a bigger faux pas than the “photo-op”. Although neither is really that bad. 

Ticked@TinselTown
1 hour ago, zurg said:

I hope you don’t think I’m arguing against that or that I disagree...I don’t. 

All I’m saying is that with everything Trump has to battle, don’t compare yourself to Lincoln quite yet. See, I think that particular comment is a bigger faux pas than the “photo-op”. Although neither is really that bad. 

I don't, no worries! 

And, given the obsessive desire of the left to use every single syllable they can against the President, giving them any fodder to do should be kept to a minimum.

However, sometimes I think that he likes to give them a crumb to see just how outrageously idiotic they can become while trying to spin it into something.

RedSoloCup

Of course he has.

The Democraps, on the other hand, just use them.

firecoco

We should have picked our own cotton