Natural Selection

New Study Shows Riots Make America Conservative

Rate this topic

Natural Selection

New Study Shows Riots Make America Conservative

By Jonathan Chait

MAY 21, 2015

NY Mag

The recent spate of protests against police brutality have changed the way the left thinks about rioting. The old liberal idea, which distinguished between peaceful protests (good) and rioting (bad), has given way to a more radical analysis. “Riots work,” insists George Ciccariello-Maher in Salon. “But despite the obviousness of the point, an entire chorus of media, police, and self-appointed community leaders continue to try to convince us otherwise, hammering into our heads a narrative of a nonviolence that has never worked on its own, based on a mythical understanding of the Civil Rights Movement.” Vox’s German Lopez, while acknowledging the downside of random violence, argues, “Riots can lead to real, substantial change.” In Rolling Stone, Jesse Myerson asserts, “the historical pedigree of property destruction as a tactic of resistance is long and frequently effective.” Darlena Cunha, writing in Time, asks, “Is rioting so wrong?” and proceeds to answer her own question in the negative.

The direct costs of violent protests are fairly self-evident. People who may not have anything to do with the underlying grievances get injured or killed, their livelihoods are impaired, the communities in which the rioting takes place suffer property damage that can linger for decades, and the inevitable police response creates new dangers for innocent bystanders. The pro-rioting (or anti-anti-rioting) argument portrays this as the necessary price of worthwhile social change. Rioting can generate attention among people who might otherwise ignore the underlying conditions that give rise to it.

It is surely the case that some positive social reforms have emerged in response to rioting. Lopez highlights the Kerner Commission and diversity efforts in the Los Angeles Police Department. But the question is not whether rioting ever yields a productive response, but whether it does so in general. Omar Wasow, an assistant professor at the department of politics at Princeton, has published a timely new paper studying this very question. And his answer is clear: Riots on the whole provoke a hostile right-wing response. They generate attention, all right, but the wrong kind.

(more here)

• Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

Omar Wasow, an assistant professor at the department of politics at Princeton, has published a timely new paper studying this very question. And his answer is clear: Riots on the whole provoke a hostile right-wing response. They generate attention, all right, but the wrong kind.

Because the majority of the people working hard to make a living, take care of their families and contribute to their community by paying their taxes get a front row seat to the way those tax dollars get pissed away by funding the people flooding the streets looting and rioting and behaving, in general, like rabid animals.

• Agree (+1) 2

Dean Adam Smithee

I suspect that Nixon would NEVER have been elected in '68 but for all the mayhem and rioting  surrounding the '68 DNC.

(By the time of the RNC, Reagan had more popular votes but Nixon had more delegates.)

• Agree (+1) 1

Howsithangin

Well I can say this much: in speaking to friends and family, it has cemented their right-of-center status for sure. Amongst those with whom I have spoken, several have purchased more firearms and/or ammunition, several have brought their kids to the range to train, one has moved out of a blue state/city, and two others are seriously considering it.

Soros' (and others') plan to destroy the US is working.  But a core remnant of red states will remain

• Agree (+1) 1

Natural Selection
1 minute ago, Howsithangin said:

Well I can say this much: in speaking to friends and family, it has cemented their right-of-center status for sure. Amongst those with whom I have spoken, several have purchased more firearms and/or ammunition, several have brought their kids to the range to train, one has moved out of a blue state/city, and two others are seriously considering it.

Soros' (and others') plan to destroy the US is working.  But a core remnant of red states will remain

Hopefully, a core remnant with a majority of electoral college votes.

Coach

For  every one person joining the BLM cult there are thousands who have not. The media treats protests which shut down normal life as rational. 

• Agree (+1) 1

zurg

I went to get a haircut this afternoon, at a salon that quite a lot of women go to as well. So not a barbershop (although I generally use those). Anyhow, to my surprise, ladies were talking about politics and how the left has blown it and they’d never vote for Biden the creep. 

Based on this anecdote from a leftist south Florida area, I can confidently proclaim that Biden has lost the white women vote. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

Howsithangin
11 minutes ago, Coach said:

For  every one person joining the BLM cult there are thousands who have not. The media treats protests which shut down normal life as rational. 

speaking of a BLM, the coffee's kicking in.  BRB...

Specs
34 minutes ago, zurg said:

I went to get a haircut this afternoon, at a salon that quite a lot of women go to as well. So not a barbershop (although I generally use those). Anyhow, to my surprise, ladies were talking about politics and how the left has blown it and they’d never vote for Biden the creep. 

Based on this anecdote from a leftist south Florida area, I can confidently proclaim that Biden has lost the white women vote. 

Hey that is more scientific as any far left regressive opinionated vlogger poll :)

They just poll their viewers and proclaim that it is a valid poll.

Dean Adam Smithee
25 minutes ago, Coach said:

Yeah, that's true, but it goes way back to the '60s when "counter-culture was the "thing". I mean, the 'pop culture' paradigm was that everybody who was anybody was standing on the corner of Haight and Ashbury in SFO in '68.

Well, I certainly wasn't. I suspect that you weren't either. And likely Sarge hard more urgent things to do as well. I side with y'all, even if I was only 8 YO at the time.

zurg
36 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Yeah, that's true, but it goes way back to the '60s when "counter-culture was the "thing". I mean, the 'pop culture' paradigm was that everybody who was anybody was standing on the corner of Haight and Ashbury in SFO in '68.

Well, I certainly wasn't. I suspect that you weren't either. And likely Sarge hard more urgent things to do as well. I side with y'all, even if I was only 8 YO at the time.

I may have been standing at the corner of Kauppakatu and Kirkkokatu at that time with my parents. I felt like a millions marks then. 

gravelrash
14 hours ago, GrimV said:

Behold the modern Democratic party: Minneapolis mayor booed out of protest after reportedly refusing to defund police

I may be wrong, but I don't think promising violent chaos is the winning campaign strategy Democrats are expecting.  

But a strategy that they implicitly endorse.