Rioters deface monument honoring all-black regiment of Union Civil War soldiers

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

by Peter Heck · Jun 6th, 2020 5:14 pm 24
Last Updated Jun 6th, 2020 at 5:30 pm
DISRN

<More Here Because They Can>

Exactly 123 years to the day that it was dedicated, the Shaw Memorial, a monument honoring the first all-volunteer black regiment of the Union Army in the Civil War, was defaced by rioters demanding justice for African-Americans.

On May 31, 1897, the monument was erected on Boston Commons to honor the 54th Massachusetts Regiment of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, who bravely attacked Confederate forces at Fort Wagner.

One of the soldiers, Sgt. William Harvey Carney carried the American flag throughout the battle, never dropping it despite being shot 7 times. Carney was the first black American to win the Congressional Medal of Honor for action.

Liz Vizza, the executive director overseeing the public garden where the monument is located, was shocked that a memorial to black soldiers was defaced by rioters. She noted that the black men who fought in the 54th Massachusetts Regiment were not only risking death, but also the potential of being enslaved if they had been captured.

(snip)

<More Here Because They Can>

Severian

The irony, thick it is...

Yoda_Empire_Strikes_Back.png

That_Guy
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MTP Reggie said:

by Peter Heck · Jun 6th, 2020 5:14 pm 24
Last Updated Jun 6th, 2020 at 5:30 pm
DISRN

Interesting that Peter Heck quotes a piece which refers to "protesters" who "damaged/vandalized" this monument, and somehow turns them into "rioters" who "deface(d)" it.

Edited by That_Guy
  • Disagree (-1) 3

Squirrel

I guess it’s anouther case of only some black lives mattered or matter to them. At least these idiots never fail to put their IQ out for the world to see.

MontyPython
2 hours ago, That_Guy said:

Interesting that Peter Heck quotes a piece which refers to "protesters" who "damaged/vandalized" this monument, and somehow turns them into "rioters" who "deface(d)" it.

LOL

Yeah, because damaging/vandalizing something is "different" than defacing it...? It's bad to deface public property, but OK to "merely" damage/vandalize it because that's "not the same thing"?

:nuts: 

And yes, rioters deface/damage/vandalize other people's property; such stuff cannot be passed off as "peaceful protesting"

:rolleyes:

Ticked@TinselTown
33 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

LOL

Yeah, because damaging/vandalizing something is "different" than defacing it...? It's bad to deface public property, but OK to "merely" damage/vandalize it because that's "not the same thing"?

:nuts: 

And yes, rioters deface/damage/vandalize other people's property; such stuff cannot be passed off as "peaceful protesting"

:rolleyes:

Gotta keep twisting the wordage around so that he's the one in control of the outrage...

• Agree (+1) 2

That_Guy
30 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

This is the dumbest Goddamn thing I've ever read.

Give Peter Heck a break; maybe the editorial standards at this "DISRN.com" aren't very rigorous.  

Magic Rat
21 minutes ago, That_Guy said:

Give Peter Heck a break; maybe the editorial standards at this "DISRN.com" aren't very rigorous.  

Ooh!  You sure got me there!  FACE!

• Haha (+1) 1

Hieronymous

Negative attention getting is something I see every day at my 2 jobs, which happen to both be at drug rehabs.  It is a way for clients to draw attention to themselves while at the same time turning their focus away from themselves.  Something that I feel is pertinent here for some reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2