To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Capn'D

Joint Chiefs Chairman Milley says it was 'mistake' to appear with Trump in Lafayette Square

Rate this topic

Capn'D

Joint Chiefs Chairman Milley says it was 'mistake' to appear with Trump in Lafayette Square

By Lucas Tomlinson, Brooke Singman | Fox News

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley on Thursday expressed regret for accompanying President Trump during a photo-op last week at Lafayette Square amid protests, calling the decision “a mistake” – in the latest sign of friction between the White House and the military over the response to racial unrest.

Milley made the remarks during a remote video speech to graduates at National Defense University, advising young officers to “always maintain a keen sense of situational awareness."

“As senior leaders, everything you do will be closely watched,” he said. “And I am not immune.

“As many of you saw, the result of the photograph of me at Lafayette Square last week. That sparked a national debate about the role of the military in civil society,” Milley continued. “I should not have been there. My presence in that moment and in that environment created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics.”

He added: “As a commissioned uniformed officer, it was a mistake that I have learned from, and I sincerely hope we all can learn from it.”

• Disagree (-1) 6
  • Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup
32 minutes ago, mjperry51 said:

One nice feature with the new Forum software is one can see who posted something and I know what posts not to waste my time on. . .

:exactly:

gravelrash

I understand General Milley's statement.  His presence at the event didn't bother me.  He was probably blind-sided by Trump.  The United States is governed by civilians.  The General recognized the optics and admitted a breach of custom or protocol.  That's called being a professional.

What I do have a problem with is the Associated Press' headline Joint Chiefs chairman regrets joining Trump in church walk (emphasis mine).  That is not what General Milley said.  It might not even be how he feels.  However, the AP led with that optic.  The media take any opportunity to spread misinformation and misdirection.

• Agree (+1) 2

Ticked@TinselTown
2 hours ago, gravelrash said:

I understand General Milley's statement.  His presence at the event didn't bother me.  He was probably blind-sided by Trump.  The United States is governed by civilians.  The General recognized the optics and admitted a breach of custom or protocol.  That's called being a professional.

What I do have a problem with is the Associated Press' headline Joint Chiefs chairman regrets joining Trump in church walk (emphasis mine).  That is not what General Milley said.  It might not even be how he feels.  However, the AP led with that optic.  The media take any opportunity to spread misinformation and misdirection.

That was exactly my thoughts as well.  The headline has nothing to do with the tone of his address to the cadets, but it sure as sh*t fits in with the TrashTrump agenda.

• Agree (+1) 3

satellite66

The general whether intended or not took shot at his boss publicly giving the media the optics they wanted.  

• Agree (+1) 3

Ladybird
3 hours ago, mjperry51 said:

One nice feature with the new Forum software is one can see who posted something and I know what posts not to waste my time on. . .

Yet, here you are..

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Disagree (-1) 3
  • Agree (+1) 1

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
4 hours ago, gravelrash said:

They are fake news.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

SARGE
3 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Yet, here you are..

E tu?

PaleoPatriot

I'm not sure about any protocol the military is using, but the one they should use is as long as they are active duty or drawing a pension they keep their mouth shut.  That would solve any problems of the media or the demorats taking their statements and using them in dishonest ways.  Case in point, and I don't know if true or not, but it was reported today the form Gen. Patreus said he was in favor of renaming any military post that had a confederate name.  Bullcrap.  This PC crap, BLM and antifa if allowed to continue will destroy this Republic.

• Disagree (-1) 1

searcher

I thought that whole photo op thing was a goofy idea, and haven't changed my mind. 

Mark

• Agree (+1) 1

gravelrash
8 minutes ago, searcher said:

I thought that whole photo op thing was a goofy idea, and haven't changed my mind. 

Mark

Last check, arson against a religious establishment is a federal crime. Couple that with potential charges of terrorism, PRESIDENT Donald J. Trump demonstrated his point. As an atheist who has agnostic and "intelligent design" tendencies, Trump took a stand against the Queen Annes. *

*Queen Annes are pit cherries covered in artificial / fake chocolate.  Poke them and they bleed red.

• Like (+1) 1

Howsithangin

Gettin' old, dude.

Shouldn't you be  trolling on FB?

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

JerryL
1 hour ago, searcher said:

Mark

What I thought, too.  I would have been pissed to be used as a prop in an unnecessary photo op, but as has been pointed out, that isn't really what General Milley regrets.  What he regrets is having contributed to a (false) perception that the US military was being used in domestic politics.  Frankly, that is a position that he never should have been put in.

satellite66

Trump should have had the general hold an umbrella over him then it would be ok with media right?  

• Haha (+1) 2

Dutch13

Damn these military progtards. We all know that anybody that dares disagree with President Trump is just a deep state globalist.

We all know they weren't really putting their lives on the line to defend America for 40+ years......they were just super secret moles getting into position to thwart the messiah when he arrived in 2016.

• Agree (+1) 2

ilja
Posted (edited)

Yep, that's about it. 😁 Except for the whole Messiah nonsense. You forget, we already had one of those in the White House along with his columns.

I do believe there are a lot a Deep State traitors trying to take Trump down. No, he's not perfect but as far as I'm concerned that's all they (the establishment aka leftist, RINOs and who knows) have been trying to do for the past 3 1/2 years by any way possible. I for one admire the man (even if he does bug me sometimes) for putting up with all the BS and being able to stand against it AND flourish. 

As far as someone being in the military for 40 years making him honorable, all I have to do is picture that piece of devil worshiping Michael Aquino to make me wonder how many others pretend to be above approach when they are anything but. After all, Aquino was kept around by his fellow military brass. 

Edited by ilja
  • Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython
3 hours ago, Dutch13 said:

Damn these military progtards. We all know that anybody that dares disagree with President Trump is just a deep state globalist.

We all know they weren't really putting their lives on the line to defend America for 40+ years......they were just super secret moles getting into position to thwart the messiah when he arrived in 2016.

Oh grow up. Nobody here has said, nor even suggested, any such thing. And you know it.

:rolleyes:

• Agree (+1) 1