To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Liz

7 Times John Roberts Was A Leftist Hack

Rate this topic

Liz

John Roberts is a politician — a politician who consistently makes laws, inconsistently applies the Constitution, and can't be voted out of office.

The Federalist

Kylee Zempel

June 19, 2020

Excerpt:

Knock, knock. Who’s there? Unelected leftist politicians in robes with lifetime tenure. Turns out, the Supreme Court is a joke, and the punchline is Chief Justice John Roberts.

Two high court decisions this week brought that reality into focus, when the George W. Bush-appointed chief sided with leftist justices to say sexual orientation is “sex,” and that the current commander in chief can’t undo unlawful executive action from a past president because of his reasons.

Roberts has quite the track record of leftist judicial activism, however, of which you’ll find a few notable instances below. It’s about time we call a spade a spade — or in this case, call a hack a hack.

1. Supported Unconstitutional Obamacare

From the moment then-President Barack Obama signed into law the infamous Affordable Care Act that colloquially bears his name, the mess of a law was ripe for legal challenges. In 2012, the Supreme Court upheld Obamacare in National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius, despite a legitimate challenge based on the Commerce Clause. This faulty 5-4 decision fell solely on the swing vote of Roberts, who wrote the majority opinion.

In it, he dreamed up a “constitutional” justification for the Obamacare monster that rested solely on the tax penalty enforcing the law’s individual mandate. It’s fine, Roberts unreasonably reasoned, because Congress has the power to tax.

Then in 2015, Roberts again saved the Affordable Care Act in King v. Burwell, when he sided with the leftist majority to extend Obamacare tax credits to federal exchanges.

“Maybe ‘Obamacare’ should be renamed ‘Robertscare’ for the justice who went out of his way to save the individual mandate,” wrote Chris Jacobs in The Federalist.

2. Sided with Leftists to Block Louisiana Abortion Law

In February 2019, in the first abortion-related case after President Trump appointed Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh to the bench, Roberts joined the leftists in a 5-4 decision to block Louisiana from enforcing an abortion law that would have required abortionists to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital. This law would have resulted in one remaining doctor legally qualified to perform the barbaric procedure. Opponents of the state law argued it would lead to the destruction of “safe and legal” abortions, an obvious oxymoron.

The majority’s order blocking the law was brief and unsigned, without a written opinion, meaning Roberts and the leftist justices offered no explanation for their decision.

3. Endorsed the Administrative State’s Unchecked Power

The Supreme Court in 2019 ruled unanimously in favor of U.S. Marine Corps veteran James L. Kisor, who had filed a disability claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs but was denied repeatedly after presenting to the VA what he considered “relevant” materials in support of his claim.

Roberts, however, wrote an opinion concurrent with that of the leftist justices, refusing to strike down a 1997 legal doctrine known as Auer deference. Auer defers broad leeway to agencies to interpret their own ambiguous rules, granting the administrative state unchecked power.

4. Denied Census Citizenship Question

After Roberts established that adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census would indeed be constitutional and consistent with the Administrative Procedures Act, the chief justice joined with the leftists on the bench to strike the question because they thought the Trump administration’s reason for asking it was disingenuous. Seriously.

*snip*

Full Article

• Best Post (+1) 1

Natural Selection

Who recommended Roberts to GWB? Talk about bad advice...

• Agree (+1) 2

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
5 hours ago, Natural Selection said:

GWB was not a real conservative when you look at what he has done. 

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

RedSoloCup

Judas Roberts is scum.

• Agree (+1) 1

Weaseljd
7 hours ago, Natural Selection said:

Just remember though different times.  The filibuster rule was still in place, so someone too conservative would have never been confirmed, so GWB was working within his limitations on that appointment.  Overall, the Bush appointees have been fairly solid.  I might criticize him for a lot of things, but generally he gave us fairly solid jurists.

That being said, as many of you know, I have defended Roberts over and over again here.  Reading his opinions, while not liking them, I found sound legal reasons to possibly support them.  Not here.  This was the most illogical, nakedly political, decision I have read in years.  To essentially state that the Trump administration acted illegally in the manner in which it attempted to end a program that is in itself already illegal, and that the current administration must therefore continue to enforce an illegal law, is the most insane logic I have ever heard.  So no more.  While I wont call him a Judas (as I don't believe he is a traitor - he is being true to who he really is), I will call him a political hack and a coward who is afraid to make the hard but right decision if it might be politically unpopular with the vocal left.  

• Agree (+1) 1

PaleoPatriot

Roberts seems to make up rules as he goes along to get along.  Rewrites laws ignoring the original intent.  He is the worst king of judge, one with the power to write law and can never be removed from that post.  God help us if he manages to live as long as ol Ruth.  At this point in terms of legislation from the bench Roberts could easily do what a demented Joe Biden couldn't.

moocow

I’d throw on there his ruling on the San Diego churches as well. I could never understand how, under the first amendment, the states were ever able to close churches (or other places of worship).  

While I understand the first amendment doesn’t grant absolute autonomy for churches from the government, it should create a very high bar for the government to interfere in their administration. And an even higher bar for flat out closing them, particularly when other places are allowed to be open as “essential”. 

zurg
On 6/21/2020 at 7:32 AM, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

GWB was not a real conservative when you look at what he has done. 

Yeah, not even close. The family is obviously part of the deep state. They have mostly lied to the American people. The only time they were truthful and in sync with America was right after 9-11. The deep state always wants wars, wants instability, wants economic problems, wants racial problems, wants family problems, wants the wealth gap, etc. etc. After 9-11, the American people ALSO mostly wanted war, so they happened to be aligned, and Bush didn't have to act his part. I was seduced by his genuine desire to protect the United States - we the people had the same general aim as Bush and his group, but we were entirely different in the reasoning of why and how far to go and who exactly to go after.

If we the people could get our act together and realize that when we look at our everyday lives, there's actually very little TRUE and ACTUAL racial strife, or fighting over sexual preferences, or what church you happen to attend or not at all, etc. etc. If those holding onto most power didn't play with the economy and play with social feelings, we wouldn't have so many problems. But then, they wouldn't be so wealthy and be able to tell us how to think.

• Best Post (+1) 1

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
1 hour ago, zurg said:

Yeah, not even close. The family is obviously part of the deep state. They have mostly lied to the American people. The only time they were truthful and in sync with America was right after 9-11. The deep state always wants wars, wants instability, wants economic problems, wants racial problems, wants family problems, wants the wealth gap, etc. etc. After 9-11, the American people ALSO mostly wanted war, so they happened to be aligned, and Bush didn't have to act his part. I was seduced by his genuine desire to protect the United States - we the people had the same general aim as Bush and his group, but we were entirely different in the reasoning of why and how far to go and who exactly to go after.

If we the people could get our act together and realize that when we look at our everyday lives, there's actually very little TRUE and ACTUAL racial strife, or fighting over sexual preferences, or what church you happen to attend or not at all, etc. etc. If those holding onto most power didn't play with the economy and play with social feelings, we wouldn't have so many problems. But then, they wouldn't be so wealthy and be able to tell us how to think.

I remember it wasn't too long ago that I used to get flamed here by most here for saying this as it all occurred? You are correct on all counts.

The truth can be ugly and people don't like it when somebody says things that shake up their long held beliefs and this place is no exception.

I used to fall for the crap too, but as I discovered the truth and tried to wake people up here but most would not have any of it back then. There are only about 3 to 4 hold outs here still who the light bulb will never go on for.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1