Liz

Coronavirus Is Weakening, Could Disappear On Its Own: Italian Doctor

Rate this topic

Liz

New York Post

By Jackie Salo

June 21, 2020 | 1:54pm | Update

Excerpt:

An Italian infectious disease doctor believes the coronavirus has become less dangerous — and could disappear on its own without a vaccine.

Dr. Matteo Bassetti, the head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital, said the virus appears to have become less potent, possibly due to genetic mutations, the Sunday Telegraph reported.

“The clinical impression I have is that the virus is changing in severity,” Bassetti told the outlet.

“In March and early April the patterns were completely different. People were coming to the emergency department with a very difficult to manage illness and they needed oxygen and ventilation, some developed pneumonia.”

But he said in the past month, “the picture has completely changed in terms of patterns.”

“It was like an aggressive tiger in March and April but now it’s like a wild cat,” Bassetti said. “Even elderly patients, aged 80 or 90, are now sitting up in bed and they are breathing without help. The same patients would have died in two or three days before.”

He said one of the reasons for the virus becoming weaker could be that it has mutated in response to social distancing measures.

“I think the virus has mutated because our immune system reacts to the virus and we have a lower viral load now due to the lockdown, mask-wearing, social distancing,” he said. “We still have to demonstrate why it’s different now.”

It’s possible that the virus will be eradicated before researchers find a vaccine, he said.

“We have fewer and fewer people infected and it could end up with the virus dying out,” Bassetti said.

But another expert was less optimistic about the prospect of the virus disappearing soon, saying it could take years, the outlet reported.

*snip*

Full Article

Yet another theory.  :shrug:

mliff1

Hmmm, a complete shocker i tell you.

• Agree (+1) 2

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Just as several of us have said all along.

Most of it has been a hoax anyhow.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

Dean Adam Smithee
5 hours ago, Liz said:

“It was like an aggressive tiger in March and April but now it’s like a wild cat,” Bassetti said. “Even elderly patients, aged 80 or 90, are now sitting up in bed and they are breathing without help. The same patients would have died in two or three days before.”

He said one of the reasons for the virus becoming weaker could be that it has mutated in response to social distancing measures.

“I think the virus has mutated because our immune system reacts to the virus and we have a lower viral load now due to the lockdown, mask-wearing, social distancing,” he said. “We still have to demonstrate why it’s different now.

Perhaps someone more trained in Virology/Epidemiology can speak better to this but here's my 'Engineering' perspective: It's "Entropy", nothing more, nothing less.

The virus is mutating, yes, but not "in response to" ANYTHING; a virus just isn't "smart" enough to do so. My understanding is that a virus is SUCH as simple thing that it does'nt EVEN have a means  of repairing itself if it "breaks" during replication.

Liz
30 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Perhaps someone more trained in Virology/Epidemiology can speak better to this but here's my 'Engineering' perspective: It's "Entropy", nothing more, nothing less.

The virus is mutating, yes, but not "in response to" ANYTHING; a virus just isn't "smart" enough to do so. My understanding is that a virus is SUCH as simple thing that it does'nt EVEN have a means  of repairing itself if it "breaks" during replication.

I have absolutely no medical background so I'm in no way qualified to make determinations on this subject.  I post articles such as these for the benefit of people who do have  medical training and who can make judgments on the efficacy of the various theories.

Dean Adam Smithee
25 minutes ago, Liz said:

I have absolutely no medical background so I'm in no way qualified to make determinations on this subject.  I post articles such as these for the benefit of people who do have  medical training and who can make judgments on the efficacy of the various theories.

No problem, Liz.  as (volunteer) EMS my gig is Emergency Care and Transport of the Sick and Wounded. What I'm qualified with STOPS at the ER door.

THAT SAID, In my day job as an engineer (MS Applied physics), It just SEEMS like entropy might apply here.

s-l640.jpg

• Agree (+1) 1

zurg
1 hour ago, AntonToo said:

He’s talking obviously about Italy. Are you this stupid? https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Where the graph looks like they’re getting over it. He’s saying that the sick today present way differently clinically speaking than they did a month or two ago. 

What am I doing? I’m trying to explain science to a 2-year old. Never mind, no point continuing. 

AntonToo
45 minutes ago, zurg said:

He’s talking obviously about Italy. Are you this stupid? https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Where the graph looks like they’re getting over it. He’s saying that the sick today present way differently clinically speaking than they did a month or two ago. 

What am I doing? I’m trying to explain science to a 2-year old. Never mind, no point continuing. 

let me explain to you something very simply - the virus is spreading faster than ever, not dying out. Cases going down locally in Italy, means exactly nothing.

Squirrel
12 minutes ago, AntonToo said:

let me explain to you something very simply - the virus is spreading faster than ever, not dying out. Cases going down locally in Italy, means exactly nothing.

Yet death rates and hospitalization are not going up dramatically. Strange how that’s always left out of the fear mongering numbers. So can you address that? Oh no more people tested positive with no negative effect. Go back to the basement. The adults might send you a fresh tub of paste to eat

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Yet death rates and hospitalization are not going up dramatically. Strange how that’s always left out of the fear mongering numbers.

Stating facts is not fear mongering. Saying virus is dying out while there are more new daily cases than ever just doesn't make any sense at all.

Edited by AntonToo

Squirrel
5 minutes ago, AntonToo said:

Stating facts is not fear mongering. Saying virus is dying out while there are more new daily cases than ever just doesn't make any sense at all.

So the hospitalization had sky rocketed? We are now out of ventilators? The death numbers have sky rocketed? No there are more people tested positive with the other numbers going down. So yes that is fear mongering. I guess once again logic isn’t your strong suit . But your safe in moms basement. Please explain how saying  8x more people have tested positive while not saying deaths and hospitalization has not noticeably gone up is not fear mongering? I can’t wait to hear your logic on this

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

So the hospitalization had sky rocketed? We are now out of ventilators? The death numbers have sky rocketed? No there are more people tested positive with the other numbers going down. So yes that is fear mongering. I guess once again logic isn’t your strong suit . But your safe in moms basement. Please explain how saying  8x more people have tested positive while not saying deaths and hospitalization has not noticeably gone up is not fear mongering? I can’t wait to hear your logic on this

I'll repeat one more time, since you seem to have trouble with simple reading at the moment you've descided to make your post:

Edited by AntonToo

zurg
8 minutes ago, AntonToo said:

I'll repeat one more time, since you seem to have trouble with simple reading at the moment you've descided to make your post:

The doctor was explaining his first hand clinical experience in Italy. Do you have evidence to prove that his statement was false? Yes or no. This is not difficult. 

Squirrel
7 minutes ago, AntonToo said:

And I’ll ask you again.if more people are testing positive with no increase in deaths or hospitalization. Is yelling increase not fear mongering? If we go from 10% tested positive to 50% tested positive with no increase in the first 2 how is just reporting 50% more not fear mongering? If you go from 10% tested positive for covid with 1 death. Then you get 60% with the same one death I guess you feel that’s an increase? I’d say it’s a decrease but maths hard for me. And only reporting an increase in people tested positive is fear mongering. But once again honesty and math is hard for you

Squirrel
4 minutes ago, zurg said:

The doctor was explaining his first hand clinical experience in Italy. Do you have evidence to prove that his statement was false? Yes or no. This is not difficult. 

We know Anton’s newest job title is first hand management in a hospital. He’s too busy trying to find the 47 ventilators to save the influx of patients to think

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, zurg said:

The doctor was explaining his first hand clinical experience in Italy.

Which is irrelavant to virus dying out or not.

Edited by AntonToo

zurg
1 minute ago, AntonToo said:

Which irrelavant to virus dying out or not.

Why? 

AntonToo
11 minutes ago, zurg said:

Why? 

Because it is spreading faster than ever around the world? DUH

Squirrel
12 minutes ago, zurg said:

Why? 

Because facts don’t matter to anton. Have we not all learned that yet?

Squirrel
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AntonToo said:

Because it is spreading faster than ever around the world? DUH

With how much of an increase in hospitalizations and deaths? Is it spreading faster or more people getting tested? Or is it weakening? There’s a few logical questions you seem unable to address. Or is it just fear mongering? By the way maybe look at a surprising fact average deaths are down this year for , flue, cancer, and most other things. Gee I wonder where those numbers went? I’m sure they found cures for them? But continue mr hospital proffesional

Edited by Squirrel

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Because facts don’t matter to anton. Have we not all learned that yet?

As to virus supposedly dying out, does this fact matter or not?

na0602-covid-19-global-daily-1.jpg

Edited by AntonToo
  • Disagree (-1) 1

Squirrel

Again and deaths have increased how much in comparison? Hospitalization has increased how much? I guess that’s a fact your handlers haven’t given you talking points for yet? So the virus is either getting weaker or it was never as bad as your handlers claimed. Also why are deaths from every other thing down on an average this year? Maybe fear mongering? Go ahead and answer those points. I don’t need to see your same graph again. You repeating bs over and over doesn’t make it right. 

Squirrel
7 minutes ago, AntonToo said:

As to virus supposedly dying out, does this fact matter or not?

na0602-covid-19-global-daily-1.jpg

Find a new graph or answer the simple questions. I’m sure as a medical first line proffesional you also know covid is a term used for a wide variety of viruses. That’s why they lable it with a number. You also understand the flue is covid and can test positive?

AntonToo
2 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Find a new graph or answer the simple questions. 

I asked you a pretty simple question and you can't answer it.

Weird huh?