To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Baltimore restaurant apologizes after video shows Black woman and son denied service

Rate this topic

Ladybird

Baltimore restaurant apologizes after video shows Black woman and son denied service

June 23, 2020, 9:29 AM EDT

By Kalhan Rosenblatt

A Baltimore restaurant group apologized Monday after video surfaced of a Black woman and her 9-year-old son being denied service because of the way the boy was dressed, even though a white boy who was similarly dressed was apparently served.

The mother, Marcia Grant, posted two videos and several still images of the incident to Facebook on Monday, saying that although she had faced racism, it was hard watching her son, Dallas, endure it.

"I have faced racism time and time again, but it’s hard AF, when you have to see your child (9yo) upset because he knows he’s being treated different that a white child!!!" Grant wrote.

The incident happened at Ouzo Bay, a restaurant owned by the Atlas Restaurant Group.

In the videos, a white employee, a manager who has not been identified, tells Grant that she and her son can't be served because of how Dallas is dressed. The boy is wearing athletic shorts, sneakers and an Air Jordan T-shirt.

"Unfortunately, we do have a dress code," the manager beings, as he starts to suggest the boy change if possible into "nonathletic dress shorts."

Grant then turns her camera to a white boy, who is dressed in athletic clothing very similar to Dallas', who appears to be leaving the restaurant with his family after having been served. The manager later claims in the video that he didn't get a good look at the white boy.

<snip>

Atlas said it was immediately changing its policy so that children ages 12 and under aren’t subject to the dress code.

<snip>

Link

They missed the part where it was demonstrated the dress code is not the problem. 

• Disagree (-1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

"Unfortunately, we do have a dress code," the manager beings, as he starts to suggest the boy change if possible into "nonathletic dress shorts."

The author of the article needs to learn how to spellcheck before submitting an article.

That being said, if there is a dress code for the establishment, the employees have the right to invoke it, especially if children arrive and they're being rowdy or behaving in a manner that other patrons might find disturbing while they are trying to enjoy their meals.

• Agree (+1) 1

oki

Does look like this one is what it appears to be.  Isn't Baltimore full of nice tolerant people?  Funny, how is it that this is more of a common occurance in places that are leftist Dem controlled than more Conservative areas?  I mean really, this should be daily in places like Green Bay WI, Bismarck N.D., or Duncan Oklahoma.

• Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown
23 minutes ago, oki said:

Does look like this one is what it appears to be.  Isn't Baltimore full of nice tolerant people?  Funny, how is it that this is more of a common occurance in places that are leftist Dem controlled than more Conservative areas?  I mean really, this should be daily in places like Green Bay WI, Bismarck N.D., or Duncan Oklahoma.

Wouldn't you think that in this climate that someone would have to be a ginormous idiot to pull something like this?

• Agree (+1) 1

searcher

I won't say this didn't happen just that way, but I've been denied service, motel rooms, and been threatened with jail if I dared enter a town. My crime? Riding with long hair on a black motorcycle while wearing a black leather jacket. I didn't like it but I got used to it.

Mark

• Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird
2 minutes ago, searcher said:

I won't say this didn't happen just that way, but I've been denied service, motel rooms, and been threatened with jail if I dared enter a town. My crime? Riding with long hair on a black motorcycle while wearing a black leather jacket. I didn't like it but I got used to it.

Mark

I don't know if you can see facebook posts. There's a video of the incident, with pictures of both children.

https://www.facebook.com/marcia.grant.75

LeansToTheRight
7 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

I don't know if you can see facebook posts. There's a video of the incident, with pictures of both children.

I think you missed his point.  Unsurprisingly, I might add.

• Agree (+1) 2

mjperry51
5 minutes ago, LeansToTheRight said:

There’s only one point that matters — hers...

• Agree (+1) 2

Ladybird
11 minutes ago, LeansToTheRight said:

I didn't. This is about a woman and little kid denied service, based on the child's attire, while a practically identically dressed child was seated and fed. Either there's a dress code or there isn't..

• Disagree (-1) 1

searcher
42 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Actually you missed the point. Simply for being a biker I was discriminated against for years, hassled by police, etc. I'm real familiar with it. It's wrong on both counts. It's not just a Black, or Mexican, or any single group thing. 

Mark

• Agree (+1) 1

Skipjack

My family has had similar experiences in restaurants.  Of course, we just had to suck it up and move on. Wasn't a newsworthy incident. Nobody cared and we wouldn't have expected them to.  But, when your unpleasant encounter becomes a national incident,  we're talking some serious 'privilege'.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird
4 minutes ago, searcher said:

Actually you missed the point. Simply for being a biker I was discriminated against for years, hassled by police, etc. I'm real familiar with it. It's wrong on both counts. It's not just a Black, or Mexican, or any single group thing. 

Mark

You're comparing your experiences to being discriminated against because of the color of your skin?

• Disagree (-1) 1

oki
31 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

I didn't. This is about a woman and little kid denied service, based on the child's attire, while a practically identically dressed child was seated and fed. Either there's a dress code or there isn't..

If everything is as reported, then yeah, this is %100 wrong.  My point however is why does this seem to be occurring far more in cities which are tie dyed leftist Dem run areas vs ones that are supposed to be full of stereo typical white racist conservative types?  If the popular narrative is correct then the places I mentioned should be hot beds of this type of thing.  Also, things are often not as people say, especially when it originates on social media.  We actually had this exact same thing happen here, just that it wasn't kids involved.  It was adults, and it involved a club in the downtown area which was notorious for having knuckleheads causing trouble.  Ironically, I think it was White customers who where denied even though they where dressed much the same as some Black customers.  Apparently the 'customers' where known for causing trouble and that's why, nothing to do with how they were dressed.

We also have an ongoing case where the mom of a young child alleges her boyfriend(an employee of a local car dealer) ran her child over with his work truck and just kept going, then the dealer just sprayed the blood off and didn't even fire him.  Never mind that the Police report says he performed CPR on the poor child, while the mom called 911.  AND... no mention of him running over the child's head as the mom is saying on her facebook/go fund me page.  Be very careful when it's something originating on social media and there is no other side of the story or anything else to back things up.  

• Agree (+1) 1

oki
8 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

You're comparing your experiences to being discriminated against because of the color of your skin?

Also, had the same happen to me a few times in Japan.   Just being a foreigner can be enough in some places.  Made it hurt even worse because here I was putting my life on the line if needed to keep them safe from the like of North Korea and China(to name just two).

• Agree (+1) 1

ThePatriot
Posted (edited)

Actually, he's comparing being discriminated against because of his ATTIRE to that little boy's ATTIRE.

You WANT to think this about the color of their skin.  It doesn't appear that way to me at all.  It's about attire and their enforcement of their stupid dress code.

That manager should have just said it was no problem and seated them, but people are dumb and his stupidity led to the restaurant having to apologize.

***ETA*** - keep in mind this is in Baltimore - a city dominated by Democrats.  so take that for what it's worth....

Edited by ThePatriot
  • Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown
39 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Are you suggesting that discrimination is not equal to all its victims?

• Agree (+1) 1

Noclevermoniker

There’s a white kid in Baltimore??

• Haha (+1) 3

Specs
3 hours ago, Ladybird said:

June 23, 2020, 9:29 AM EDT

By Kalhan Rosenblatt

A Baltimore restaurant group apologized Monday after video surfaced of a Black woman and her 9-year-old son being denied service because of the way the boy was dressed, even though a white boy who was similarly dressed was apparently served.

The mother, Marcia Grant, posted two videos and several still images of the incident to Facebook on Monday, saying that although she had faced racism, it was hard watching her son, Dallas, endure it.

"I have faced racism time and time again, but it’s hard AF, when you have to see your child (9yo) upset because he knows he’s being treated different that a white child!!!" Grant wrote.

The incident happened at Ouzo Bay, a restaurant owned by the Atlas Restaurant Group.

In the videos, a white employee, a manager who has not been identified, tells Grant that she and her son can't be served because of how Dallas is dressed. The boy is wearing athletic shorts, sneakers and an Air Jordan T-shirt.

Grant then turns her camera to a white boy, who is dressed in athletic clothing very similar to Dallas', who appears to be leaving the restaurant with his family after having been served. The manager later claims in the video that he didn't get a good look at the white boy.

<snip>

Atlas said it was immediately changing its policy so that children ages 12 and under aren’t subject to the dress code.

<snip>

Link

They missed the part where it was demonstrated the dress code is not the problem. 

Just more democRATs showing their racism :) I told you your ideology is filled with hate and very evil. 

Not sure why you continue to support it? Maybe you think you will be one of the special ones? The democRATs really do not like you ladybird, they never have and spent centuries enslaving your ancestors because they felt superior to you.

• Agree (+1) 1

Noclevermoniker
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

Rage on!  What’s the difference between “identically” and “practically identically”?  I bet a good bleck lawyer could still drive a truck through the difference. I doubt seriously that any business in Baltimore discriminates against blacks. It’s a chocolate city, just like New Orleans. 

• Agree (+1) 2

gregvega

I was stripped searched because what I looked liked. Was stopped by police 15 plus times from age 14-20.

• Agree (+1) 1

Confessor
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

Speaking of double standards, either there is a pandemic or there isn’t...

• Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird
44 minutes ago, ThePatriot said:

Actually, he's comparing being discriminated against because of his ATTIRE to that little boy's ATTIRE.

You WANT to think this about the color of their skin.  It doesn't appear that way to me at all.  It's about attire and their enforcement of their stupid dress code.

That manager should have just said it was no problem and seated them, but people are dumb and his stupidity led to the restaurant having to apologize.

***ETA*** - keep in mind this is in Baltimore - a city dominated by Democrats.  so take that for what it's worth....

The restaurant claimed that they rejected the black child for wearing athletic attire, while the mother observed and taped a white child getting up from his table in virtually the same type of athletic wear (tee shirt, shorts,and sneakers).

What part of this are people not understanding? 

• Disagree (-1) 1

Ladybird
18 minutes ago, Noclevermoniker said:

Rage on!  What’s the difference between “identically” and “practically identically”?  I bet a good bleck lawyer could still drive a truck through the difference. I doubt seriously that any business in Baltimore discriminates against blacks. It’s a chocolate city, just like New Orleans. 

I know. Racial hatred is just a made up concept by malcontents..

• Disagree (-1) 1

Noclevermoniker

I know. Racial hatred is just a made up concept by malcontents..

Not what I said, of course, but when all you have is a hammer we all look like nails, right?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

searcher
2 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Nope. Just saying BTDT. Because of what they perceived I was.

• Agree (+1) 1