Jump to content
To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

Texas governor urges residents to stay home amid record number of new coronavirus cases

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Ladybird
Posted (edited)

Texas governor urges residents to stay home amid record number of new coronavirus cases

https://thehill.com/

By Justin Wise - 06/23/20 07:03 PM EDT

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) is imploring residents to stay home as the state grapples with a surge in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations stemming from the disease. 

In an interview Tuesday with local CBS affiliate KBTX-TV, Abbott said that Texas would report more than 5,000 cases of COVID-19 from the previous 24-hour period, marking a new high in the state. He added that hospitalizations were also at an all-time high, stressing that the outbreak is "serious."

“First, we want to make sure that everyone reinforces the best safe practices of wearing a mask, hand sanitization, maintaining safe distance, but importantly, because the spread is so rampant right now, there’s never a reason for you to have to leave your home," Abbott said. "Unless you do need to go out, the safest place for you is at your home."

Abbott noted that more announcements regarding the state's efforts to combat the spread of the disease would come later in the week. He said that the state has increased testing and response supplies in areas being hit especially hard by outbreaks. He also said that the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has expanded enforcement efforts to ensure businesses are complying with health restrictions. 

But the governor said during a press conference on Monday that he would not reimpose any restrictions on businesses and other activities. While admitting that the increase in cases was "unacceptable," he said that the state would remain "open for business." 

"We don’t have to choose between jobs and health. We can have both. We can protect Texan lives while also restoring livelihoods. ... Together, we will keep Texas wide open for business," he said, urging Texans to wear masks, wash their hands and maintain social distancing.

<snip>

Link

Edited by Ladybird
  • Disagree (-1) 2
  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaleoPatriot

My understanding is the numbers of death continues to decline.  Therefore it's all relevant.  The glass half full or half empty?  The age of those infected is younger which mean most will not be seriously ill.  It's only natural that the more you test and your sample size increases the more actual numbers increase.  Still a long way from needing 50,000 ventilators and 5,000 ICU beds.  And I'll just bet that 1 million won't die.  The hospitals get more money for covid patients, and since the hospitals were bleeding cash from cancelling normal office visits and elective surgeries, I don't trust anyone's numbers.

  • Agree (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GrimV

Claim you're protesting in accordance with the latest narrative. It grants instant immunity. 

  • Agree (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThePatriot

I'm in Austin (the most leftwing part of the state) and no one is buying this crap.  We're going out to a bar for open mic night and meeting friends there.

Those that want to stay home are free to do so, but those of us that don't are going out!

  • Best Post (+1) 3
  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CHANG
1 hour ago, ThePatriot said:

I'm in Austin (the most leftwing part of the state) and no one is buying this crap.  We're going out to a bar for open mic night and meeting friends there.

Those that want to stay home are free to do so, but those of us that don't are going out!

As it should be. 

  • Agree (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kestrel

Yeah..Just another Racist lie..just like the supposed noose in the garage of some black nascar dude...SOS

Kestrel...

  • Agree (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howsithangin

None tied to riots or protests, right?

on another notes, at some point we can’t as a nation continue to be hermits. Take precautions, but the nation needs to reopen.

QED

  • Agree (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howsithangin

Minorities hardest hit?

  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kestrel
15 hours ago, Howsithangin said:

Minorities hardest hit?

Film at eleven!

K...

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
On 6/23/2020 at 6:26 PM, PaleoPatriot said:

My understanding is the numbers of death continues to decline.  Therefore it's all relevant.  The glass half full or half empty?  The age of those infected is younger which mean most will not be seriously ill.  It's only natural that the more you test and your sample size increases the more actual numbers increase.  Still a long way from needing 50,000 ventilators and 5,000 ICU beds.  And I'll just bet that 1 million won't die.  The hospitals get more money for covid patients, and since the hospitals were bleeding cash from cancelling normal office visits and elective surgeries, I don't trust anyone's numbers.

The test positivity rate: the percentage of people tested who test positive, has doubled from under 5% at the end of May to over 10% now.

If the increase in detected cases was entirely because of more testing, that number would be going down.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/24/texas-coronavirus-infection-rate/

 

  • Disagree (-1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natural Selection
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Timothy said:

The test positivity rate: the percentage of people tested who test positive, has doubled from under 5% at the end of May to over 10% now.

If the increase in detected cases was entirely because of more testing, that number would be going down.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/24/texas-coronavirus-infection-rate/

 

It's not that simple. It comes down to why people are taking tests as well. Some people took tests out of curiosity. Others because of symptoms. That ratio is part of the equation. If more people are taking tests because of symptoms then the positive rate will go up. If more people take the test out of curiosity then the positive rate will go down. I was forced to take a test by my employer because a coworker called in sick. He was fine, just wanted a day off. I tested negative. Our tests had nothing to do with the actual infection statistics, yet they were recorded as such.

On top of that, politics are involved.

gravity-is-natural.jpg

Edited by Natural Selection
  • Agree (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rock N' Roll Right Winger
Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, ThePatriot said:

I'm in Austin (the most leftwing part of the state) and no one is buying this crap.  We're going out to a bar for open mic night and meeting friends there.

Those that want to stay home are free to do so, but those of us that don't are going out!

Most of my friends and co-workers now believe that the whole thing was and is a hoax.

It was just the ordinary flu if anything (but they lied and called it covid19 to fit the hoax narrative and to get federal money and this has been far less lethal or severe than the regular seasonal flu) and there hasn't been much of it at all anywhere since late April.

I work in a place that has over 800 employees. Nobody ever got it and knows anyone who ever had.

The hospitals here are empty and have been since this whole hoax began.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rock N' Roll Right Winger
On 6/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, ThePatriot said:

I'm in Austin (the most leftwing part of the state) and no one is buying this crap.  We're going out to a bar for open mic night and meeting friends there.

Those that want to stay home are free to do so, but those of us that don't are going out!

I'm off this weekend. If I were near, I'd meet you all and buy the rounds! :drinkers:

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
3 hours ago, Natural Selection said:

It's not that simple. It comes down to why people are taking tests as well. Some people took tests out of curiosity. Others because of symptoms. That ratio is part of the equation. If more people are taking tests because of symptoms then the positive rate will go up. If more people take the test out of curiosity then the positive rate will go down. I was forced to take a test by my employer because a coworker called in sick. He was fine, just wanted a day off. I tested negative. Our tests had nothing to do with the actual infection statistics, yet they were recorded as such.

That's true.  But is there any evidence that testing procedures have changed to produce such a dramatic increase in the test positivity rate?

The more likely scenario is that when more tests are available, the criteria is loosened in the way that leads to a lower rate because more tests like yours are performed.

Quote

On top of that, politics are involved.

True.  That sword can cut both ways.  And as above, to explain a major change in the statistics requires a change in policy, not just a flaw in policy.

The number of hospitalizations is going up as well:

https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-coronavirus-cases-map/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
On 6/23/2020 at 10:17 PM, Howsithangin said:

on another notes, at some point we can’t as a nation continue to be hermits. Take precautions, but the nation needs to reopen.

Like wearing a mask when you're around a lot of people?

But I largely agree with the sentiment.  We may or may not be seeing what happens when not enough precautions are taken.

I'll also make the point that one of the reasons I supported the initial lockdown was that it gave us time to find better ways to treat people.  And that's happened, we've found some medicines that worked and ruled out some promising medicines that didn't.  The initial focus on ventilators was dramatically scaled back in favor of proning.  Better treatments should lead to a lower death rate assuming hospitals aren't overwhelmed and controlling for demographic changes in who his getting sick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howsithangin
7 hours ago, Timothy said:

Like wearing a mask when you're around a lot of people?

 

Around a lot of people-- like riots, protests and stuff? <_<

 

  • Agree (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howsithangin

'New cases' is the new metric now.  

Not deaths, which are getting increasingly rare

Not hospitalizations, which are also getting rare

Not symptomatic,

But total cases.

See what they're doing?

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
5 hours ago, Howsithangin said:

Around a lot of people-- like riots, protests and stuff? <_<

 

Yup.

5 hours ago, Howsithangin said:

'New cases' is the new metric now.  

Not deaths, which are getting increasingly rare

Not hospitalizations, which are also getting rare

Not symptomatic,

But total cases.

See what they're doing?

A huge amount of the media focus on Texas is on hospitalizations which have doubled in the last two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ladybird
14 hours ago, Howsithangin said:

'New cases' is the new metric now.  

Not deaths, which are getting increasingly rare

Not hospitalizations, which are also getting rare

Not symptomatic,

But total cases.

See what they're doing?

Texas orders bars closed, reduces restaurant capacity as coronavirus cases hit all-time high

Alabama ICU beds 82 percent full as coronavirus cases soar

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natural Selection
On 6/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, Ladybird said:

Texas governor urges residents to stay home amid record number of new coronavirus cases

I would really like to see a demographic breakdown of these new cases. Is it a surge of illegal immigrants trying to beat the completion of Trump's wall?

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedSoloCup
On 6/23/2020 at 6:40 PM, ThePatriot said:

I'm in Austin (the most leftwing part of the state) and no one is buying this crap.  We're going out to a bar for open mic night and meeting friends there.

Those that want to stay home are free to do so, but those of us that don't are going out!

The mega Karens think otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedSoloCup
On 6/25/2020 at 5:06 PM, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

Most of my friends and co-workers now believe that the whole thing was and is a hoax.

It was just the ordinary flu if anything (but they lied and called it covid19 to fit the hoax narrative and to get federal money and this has been far less lethal or severe than the regular seasonal flu) and there hasn't been much of it at all anywhere since late April.

I work in a place that has over 800 employees. Nobody ever got it and knows anyone who ever had.

The hospitals here are empty and have been since this whole hoax began.

It was never about our health. Never. Just pure politics. 

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zurg
On 6/23/2020 at 11:17 PM, Howsithangin said:

None tied to riots or protests, right?

on another notes, at some point we can’t as a nation continue to be hermits. Take precautions, but the nation needs to reopen.

QED

Exactly. The riots and protests were done with no masks - of course because people were yelling and thus spewing their lungs out. Obviously, this is a disease that's spread from the lungs out, so being in the target zone of someone yelling or sneezing isn't the safest thing to do. But at this point, everyone's gotta know that by now and be their own judge. In Florida, the cases started skyrocketing in the days after the protests and now, two weeks hence, are the highest they've ever been; we had lots and lots of protests over days and days. The left doesn't talk about that. But the left can't have their cake and eat it too. The best counteraction by us is to stay open but take precautions. That's what I see businesses mostly doing where I am in South Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zurg
On 6/26/2020 at 7:14 PM, Ladybird said:

There are many reports that mortality from COVID-19 has decreased considerably. Some are actual reports, but I hear this anecdotally - the left's media doesn't report it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kestrel
On 6/23/2020 at 7:15 PM, Ladybird said:

Texas governor urges residents to stay home amid record number of new coronavirus cases

https://thehill.com/

By Justin Wise - 06/23/20 07:03 PM EDT

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) is imploring residents to stay home as the state grapples with a surge in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations stemming from the disease. 

In an interview Tuesday with local CBS affiliate KBTX-TV, Abbott said that Texas would report more than 5,000 cases of COVID-19 from the previous 24-hour period, marking a new high in the state. He added that hospitalizations were also at an all-time high, stressing that the outbreak is "serious."

“First, we want to make sure that everyone reinforces the best safe practices of wearing a mask, hand sanitization, maintaining safe distance, but importantly, because the spread is so rampant right now, there’s never a reason for you to have to leave your home," Abbott said. "Unless you do need to go out, the safest place for you is at your home."

Abbott noted that more announcements regarding the state's efforts to combat the spread of the disease would come later in the week. He said that the state has increased testing and response supplies in areas being hit especially hard by outbreaks. He also said that the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has expanded enforcement efforts to ensure businesses are complying with health restrictions. 

But the governor said during a press conference on Monday that he would not reimpose any restrictions on businesses and other activities. While admitting that the increase in cases was "unacceptable," he said that the state would remain "open for business." 

"We don’t have to choose between jobs and health. We can have both. We can protect Texan lives while also restoring livelihoods. ... Together, we will keep Texas wide open for business," he said, urging Texans to wear masks, wash their hands and maintain social distancing.

<snip>

Link

Kareneekwa?..is that you? 🤭

  • Disagree (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...