Report: Gun, Ammo Sales Surge amid Push to Defund Police

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

Report: Gun, Ammo Sales Surge amid Push to Defund Police

https://www.breitbart.com/

AWR HAWKINS

24 Jun 2020

Article:

As Democrats and other leftists push to defund the police, gun stores around the country are witnessing a surge in gun and ammunition purchases.

CNN Business points to research firm Southwick Associates Inc. and reports that “firearms dealers across the country have reported a recent spike in sales, citing the unrest following police brutality protests in support of George Floyd and calls to defund the police as catalysts.”

They note that National Shooting Sports Foundation figures show that the surge in gun sales has been marked by a high volume of handguns. In fact, “semi-automatic handguns outpaced shotguns by a two-to-one margin as the weapons of choice among first-time gun buyers.”

The purchase of handguns over other types of guns indicates self-defense as a purchasing factor.

Southwick Associates’ Rob Southwick noted, “Anything that can cause people to feel unsafe in relation to possible physical crime to self, others, and property can drive firearm sales.”

Breitbart News reported that the number of firearm background checks conducted in May 2020 shattered the previous record for the number of background checks conducted in the month of May. FBI numbers show 3,091,455 NICS checks were conducted in May 2020, easily surpassing the previous record of 2,349,309 checks set in May 2019.

Full Story

AntiObama

Good news. 

If rioters, looters and arsonists get their brains blown out it's their own fault. 

I beg for President Trump to decimate every rioting pig. Every filthy stinky rioting swine 😈

• Agree (+1) 2

Squirrel

The rights know you have the right to defend yourself and already had guns if they wanted one. So I’d have to guess suddenly the left has gone pariniod. 

• Agree (+1) 2

Howsithangin

Cause, meet effect. :)

• Agree (+1) 2

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

It's the lefties buying guns now because they have become so hateful of conservatives and now they fear a pushback is about to happen. Also lefties are starting to fear their own nutty friends who have been rioting, destroying and attacking even them now.

• Agree (+1) 2

Ticked@TinselTown

I need to get my Dad's .44 cleaned and get some ammo for it, but I also need to get something that I can handle myself.

That Howitzer with a handle is the weapon of last resort in the house if the ploppies should hit the fan, and I need something I can wield with some dexterity, accuracy and the ability to drop whoever is pissing in my Wheaties in my kitchen.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Howsithangin
Posted (edited)

This weekend, I plan on advancing this cause further. 

Our lunatic of a governor has just extended the "emergency" through the end of July, another month.  

For perspective, Guam's numbers:

Cases: 247

Active cases: 4, plus 44 isolated on Andersen AFB.  Yup, you read that right, 4

Fatalities: 6;

Date of last fatality: late April

Current hospitalizations: 0

So you can see why all the panic. :sarcasm:

Meanwhile, there are 40,000 unemployed from the lockdown (out of 165,000 population), and Guam has no unemployment insurance.

Time in which it took to give out the the free 5,000 food baskets: 1.5 hours

Length of the line  of autos to obtain free food basket: 4 miles

Edited by Howsithangin
  • Agree (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

I need to get my Dad's .44 cleaned and get some ammo for it, but I also need to get something that I can handle myself.

That Howitzer with a handle is the weapon of last resort in the house if the ploppies should hit the fan, and I need something I can wield with some dexterity, accuracy and the ability to drop whoever is pissing in my Wheaties in my kitchen.

:wub:

You need a .357 magnum (with the proper grip to fit your hand) or a .357 SIg (G32 or G33 Glock) or a 9mm with +p+ HP ammo in it, nothing less. Proven one shot man stoppers. Easy to handle for most people and I believe that you can master these even though they are loud. :yes:

If the .44 magnum is too much, load it with .44 special ammo with bonded jacket hollow points. I strongly suggest Underwood ammo. They sell directly from their online website and they are reasonably priced and a superior product. Right now they are out of this particular load but it will be back in stock soon.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

RedSoloCup
5 hours ago, AntiObama said:

Good news. 

If rioters, looters and arsonists get their brains blown out it's their own fault. 

I beg for President Trump to decimate every rioting pig. Every filthy stinky rioting swine 😈

:exactly:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

Squirrel
4 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

For the house I just keep a semi auto 12 gauge out of the safe. It’s a bit much for my wife with the kick. I’m looking at replacing it with the Henry 410 axe.

4615CB01-A6B5-477E-ACA9-B10CAAD7CA0C.jpeg

oki

Even though I still consider myself a newbie in the field of reloading I do understand enough and have enough materials to make life quite unpleasant for those who would feel the need to threaten myself, home or loved ones.  Granted these parts are unlikely to see large scale unrest, but, if it should happen the Police will be the least of these S.O.B.'s worries. 

Let's see.... single stage RCBS reloading press, 4 stage RCBS press.  Decent amount of powder, primers, and bullets(could use more brass though).

Tools and supplies for .223, 30.06, 7.62X54R, 7.7 Japanese.  And, just received my shell plate for .223 so I can do that on my four stage. 

Need something to do, besides work while my half thumb heals..... 

Even though I suggest NOT starting trouble in these parts, rest assured should they decide to come to the neighborhoods around here a message will be sent, and the problem will be solved.  This ain't Minneapolis, and it ain't Milwaukee.  Think about it this way, your never more than a mile from someplace that sells Guns or Ammo in this town.

Ticked@TinselTown

Thanks, gentlemen!  I will definitely look into those!

• Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython

Ticked - You've gotten some good advice so far. R&RRW & Squirrel & Oki clearly know their firearms and you really can't go wrong if you follow their advice. But I'd like to add my own 2¢: A 6" barrel .38 revolver. Here's why:

Why a .38? Because it just doesn't "kick back" like a .357 does, even though they're the same basic diameter. For multiple-use stuff a .357 might be best, but for purely home-defense purposes a .38 is plenty of firepower.

Why a 6" barrel? Because while no handgun is going to be very accurate, there's nothing less accurate than a "snub-nose" handgun. You might point it at the door, but shoot yourself in the knee, LOL. OK that's obviously an exaggeration, but the point remains the same, with a "snub-nose" handgun you're lucky if you can hit the broad side of a barn. Get at least a 6" barrel.

Why a revolver? Because you must take into account the cleaning & oiling & general maintenance of your gun, not just the shooting thereof. The difference between the moving parts, springs, slides, stops, clips, magazines, etc of a semi-auto and the total moving parts of a revolver is huge. Cleaning & oiling & maintaining a revolver is only a fraction of the work of cleaning & oiling & maintaining a semi-auto.

Well, there's my 2¢.

:D

• Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython

Oh and one more thing NOBODY has mentioned so far :doh::

WHATEVER make/model/style/caliber/etc you choose, make sure it fits comfortably in your hand. No matter how great any given handgun might be, if it's "uncomfortable" in your hand for any reason (grip too big or too small, too heavy, grip at wrong angle, anything) it will be even more uncomfortable when fired. Make sure you can hold it easily and comfortably. If the seller won't allow you to hold it, then screw them and go somewhere else.

B)

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Severian

Since you won't be carrying it, a 6 inch barrel also nets you more muzzle velocity. I'd still recommend a 357 though because it will also shoot 38 special rounds, they are the same bullet diameter and cartridge size, only magnums are loaded hotter. You can shoot whichever you feel the need of, plus 38 +P+ rounds won't be a worry if it will handle 357 magnum ones.

Then again, an AR15 is easy to shoot and holds a lot of ammo. Everyone should have one.

• Agree (+1) 2

Magic Rat
6 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

Ticked - You've gotten some good advice so far. R&RRW & Squirrel & Oki clearly know their firearms and you really can't go wrong if you follow their advice. But I'd like to add my own 2¢: A 6" barrel .38 revolver. Here's why:

Why a .38? Because it just doesn't "kick back" like a .357 does, even though they're the same basic diameter. For multiple-use stuff a .357 might be best, but for purely home-defense purposes a .38 is plenty of firepower.

Why a 6" barrel? Because while no handgun is going to be very accurate, there's nothing less accurate than a "snub-nose" handgun. You might point it at the door, but shoot yourself in the knee, LOL. OK that's obviously an exaggeration, but the point remains the same, with a "snub-nose" handgun you're lucky if you can hit the broad side of a barn. Get at least a 6" barrel.

Why a revolver? Because you must take into account the cleaning & oiling & general maintenance of your gun, not just the shooting thereof. The difference between the moving parts, springs, slides, stops, clips, magazines, etc of a semi-auto and the total moving parts of a revolver is huge. Cleaning & oiling & maintaining a revolver is only a fraction of the work of cleaning & oiling & maintaining a semi-auto.

Well, there's my 2¢.

I would suggest anyone new or rusty to take the safety course at the local range.  These guys are sympathetic with most of us, politically and I believe it is very valuable.  I sent the girlfriend to a lady's only class.  It was only $100 too.  It is very difficult to teach important things to a girlfriend or wife.  They know you and are perfectly willing to argue with you.  Better to have someone else so she will listen.

I actually bought two new firearm this month.  An 1911because I always wanted one, and a smaller 9mm because my other handguns are too big to carry except a little .38 two inch.  The cylinder only holds 5 and I'm lucky I can hit the water if I fired it from a from a canoe.  This 9mm will be better for concealed carry.

The tough part is finding ammunition.  All the stores are sold out of target rounds for .45, 9mm, .357. or even .45 long.  I have hollow points but they are too expensive to use to loosen the springs in new pistols.  I ended up ordering them online.

Oh!  Another thing I learned!  When shopping for a firearm for your wife/girlfriend, let the dealer make the recommendations and if possible, allow her to try it first.  These guys are enthusiasts and know what they're doing.  They seem to always be ready and excited to talk and make recommendations.  I didn't grow up shooting but I am a Marine Infantry veteran and have been shooting ever since.  However, I am no expert on various firearms and I suspect that most people here aren't either.  So, again let the lady listen to the experts.

There's my $.02.

• Agree (+1) 2

MontyPython

To both Sev & M Rat - Yup, some more good advice.

:2up: 

• Agree (+1) 1

Squirrel

A 357 revolver allows you to fire both 38 and 357. It allows you to use 38 for range practice and gives you the option of keeping 357 or 38 self defense rounds in it when not at the range. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

gravelrash

In fact, “semi-automatic handguns outpaced shotguns by a two-to-one margin as the weapons of choice among first-time gun buyers.”

In related news, Mossberg corporation has filed a lawsuit against presumed Democrat presidential candidate Joe Biden for defamation of character.

Dean Adam Smithee
23 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

A 357 revolver allows you to fire both 38 and 357. It allows you to use 38 for range practice and gives you the option of keeping 357 or 38 self defense rounds in it when not at the range. 

Interesting. I never knew that. Thanks.

Doesn't do me much good, though. 9mm Makarov semi-auto here. 

4 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Well, there's my 2¢.

As posted before, I've only ever had occasion to kill a person once. A late-night burglar in a used car lot I was managing in the late '80s where part of my pay was being allowed to live in a house trailer behind the office. Heard a noise, investigated, fired everything I had at a movement I saw in the office.

Snubnose .38. Knowing the office, maybe 6 to 8 ft.

The cops asked over and over  "how many times did I fire?". My only answer was that I had no Idea, I fired until I couldn't. And I've no idea how many "hits",   but it was apparently "enough". LOL

Barrel length? I dunno. I think it depends on Mfr. With my Makarov with it's 3.7" barrel I can hit within 1" at 10 yards. Yeah, okay, so I'm not going to be winning any championships but  MORE than sufficient for personal/household defense. 

ON THE OTHER HAND, other pistol is a 9MM (9x19) Astra. A real piece of scheisse. Similar dimension to the Makarov but, swear to god,  you could fire this thing off the bow of a ship and not even be guaranteed to hit the ocean. That kinda sucks, because Astra has a good reputation. Maybe I just got a "lemon"?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Well, there's my 2¢.

That's good sound advice too.

But I suggest loading the .38 with high quality bonded jacket hollow points in +p.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/38-special-p-125-grain-bonded-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=18785726955577

Not as stout as a .357 magnum, but still packs a wallop with less recoil and sound.

The 6" barrel gives it good velocity and foot pounds of punch too. As for "inaccurate snub noses", I strongly beg to differ. It depends upon the make and model. I own several several Smith and Wesson snubbies that are real tack drivers. They will amaze you because like anything else, they have to be fed the proper ammo (velocity and grains of lead) for the best results. I have a model 629 in .44 magnum in a 3" barrel that is every bit as accurate as my 586 .357 magnum with a 6" barrel that I used in competition/match shooting.

Revolvers rarely ever fail to fire. They NEVER jam. Very reliable. I'm primarily a revolver guy, only pack semi-autos mostly for concealment and extra capacity. At home my go to are revolvers and 12 gauge shotguns that I have strategically hidden/placed around in my house.

I have an old Colt .38 special police positive that has a 5" barrel with iron sights and it is a real tack driver. I inherited it from my father. I used to shoot it a lot as a kid whenever I could earn enough money for dad to buy me the cartridges. He's let me shoot it so long as I bought the loads for it whenever we went out to the country.

As far as proper maintenance, a Glock is so much easier to clean and maintain than any revolver. They are super simple to break down and clean. I didn't believe it until I became an owner of one at the urging of a co-worker who showed me his Glock carry pistol and let me fire it. Now I own many in various calibers.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Oh and one more thing NOBODY has mentioned so far :doh::

WHATEVER make/model/style/caliber/etc you choose, make sure it fits comfortably in your hand. No matter how great any given handgun might be, if it's "uncomfortable" in your hand for any reason (grip too big or too small, too heavy, grip at wrong angle, anything) it will be even more uncomfortable when fired. Make sure you can hold it easily and comfortably. If the seller won't allow you to hold it, then screw them and go somewhere else.

B)

THIS!^

As I said earlier to Ticked. Make sure to have the proper grips installed to fit the hand.

If one has no confidence in the gun and cannot hit accurately then it is worthless to that person.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

One important thing to add to this is that when shooting a .357 load vs a .38 special, the .357 will always shoot lower.

I recommend 125 grain bonded jacket hollow points (bullets made by Speer or loaded by Underwood with Speer Gold Dots) for both .38 and .357 mag. I own a S&W airweight model 360. It can shoot .357 or .38. The .357 is brutal as the trigger ring really spanks the forefinger. I can handle it however with 125 grain HP (heavier 158 grain bullets are brutal in short barreled revolvers). It has only a 1.78" barrel and weighs only 13 ounces empty. Not very accurate with .357 but with .38 specials it is a tack driver. Really. One would be amazed at how accurate this pocket carry pistol is loaded with standard velocity (very mild recoil too) or +p .38 specials in it. It weighs practically nothing even compared with a polymer semi-auto.

Ticked@TinselTown
6 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Well, there's my 2¢.

Thank you, sir!

Ticked@TinselTown

I'm printing all this out and taking it with me when I go shopping...

• Agree (+1) 1