Trump’s Swoon Is Real; But Don’t Count Him Out Just Yet

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

Trump’s Swoon Is Real; But Don’t Count Him Out Just Yet

https://www.redstate.com/

by Elizabeth Vaughn

on June 26, 2020

Article:

On Thursday night, Tucker Carlson devoted his opening monologue to President Trump’s dwindling chances of victory. My colleague, Bonchie, covered Carlson’s warning here.

CNN was quick on Friday to give Joe Biden all of the electoral votes (more than 400) that Fox News’ latest poll indicates he would win if the election were held today. (It’s worth noting that Fox News polls are conducted by Siena College for the New York Times.) The Fox results, unfortunately, were not that far off from the rest of the major polls. The Real Clear Politics average of the national polls shows Biden a solid ten points ahead of Trump and polls for the battleground ground states show Biden with steep leads.

Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan’s assessment of President Trump’s chances for reelection were even more dismal. Her position is summed up by her title, “The Week it Went South for Trump.” Her lede says,”He hasn’t been equal to the crises. He never makes anything better. And everyone kind of knows.” Noonan’s dislike of the President is well-known, but she still makes some valid points.

On Friday morning, The Wall Street Journal’s editorial board joined the growing chorus of those predicting his electoral doom. They write that Sleepy Joe may soon have a new nickname – President-elect! %$*&!

The op-ed makes the point that he has no clear message for his second term “beyond four more years of himself.” (Biden has no clear message for his candidacy except ‘I can beat Trump.’)

The editors write that Trump was doing well with his daily coronavirus briefings until he turned them into “brawls with the bear-baiting press.” When he does talk about the pandemic, “his default is defensive self-congratulation.” I have to say this is true. He frequently takes credit for saving millions of lives.

Trump’s approval numbers have been slowly falling and they’re currently closing in on 40%, a level that spelled doom for Presidents George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter.

The editors mention a recent tweet in which he said a 75-year old man who was pushed by police in Buffalo might be an antifa activist. He offered no evidence.

Since racial division is front and center at the moment, the editors would like to see Trump address it:

Americans don’t like racial enmity and they want their President to reduce it. Mr. Trump has preached racial harmony on occasion, but he gives it all back with riffs that misjudge the national moment. His “law and order” message might resonate if disorder and rioting continue through the summer, but only if Mr. Trump is also talking about racial reconciliation and opportunity for all.

They note that swing voters have fallen away in the last two months.

This includes suburban women, independents, and seniors who took a risk on him in 2016 as an outsider who would shake things up. Now millions of Americans are close to deciding that four more years are more risk than they can stand…

His recent events in Tulsa and Arizona were dominated by personal grievances. He resorted to his familiar themes from 2016 like reducing immigration and denouncing the press, but he offered nothing for those who aren’t already persuaded.

On Thursday, Biden made his first public appearance in nearly three months. He told his audience that over 120 million Americans had died of the coronavirus which he later corrected. But he left the podium without taking a single question. He’s not weighing in on the issues of the day as most presidential candidates do. Nor does he have a message beyond “he’s not Donald Trump.”

Full Story

zurg
Posted (edited)

I don’t believe a single word of that attempt to depose of Trump. It’s crazy, disappointing and more than a little infuriating. We’re supposed to believe that because he thinks Fiorina is ugly (and all that kind of stuff) that people will vote for Biden? F that. 

Edited by zurg
  • Agree (+1) 3

mjperry51

No one details the internals of the polls -- who is polled (adults/registered voters/likely voters), poll questions, etc.

This is all an attempt to create public opinion, not measure it. And the antiquated polling methodologies used don't account for the type of candidate Trump has been.

Frank Luntz made some valid points the other day about Trumps current messaging; much of what worked for him in 2016 won't be as effective now as it was then. My view is Trump needs to modify his current style and tactics. Hillary isn't running -- Biden is.

• Agree (+1) 3

Kilmerfan
Posted (edited)

If Biden does not debateTrump, Trump can use this to his advantage. The Democrats are chicken, if Biden is doing so well why is he afraid of a debate? Biden doing so great what is he afraid of? Hmmm.

Edited by Kilmerfan
  • Agree (+1) 2

Taggart Transcontinental
1 hour ago, mjperry51 said:

No one details the internals of the polls -- who is polled (adults/registered voters/likely voters), poll questions, etc.

This is all an attempt to create public opinion, not measure it. And the antiquated polling methodologies used don't account for the type of candidate Trump has been.

Frank Luntz made some valid points the other day about Trumps current messaging; much of what worked for him in 2016 won't be as effective now as it was then. My view is Trump needs to modify his current style and tactics. Hillary isn't running -- Biden is.

That's because its a NEW YORK poll done with out the flyover states positions. In fact they hide the demographics of the polls so that you cannot see them.

• Agree (+1) 2

Taggart Transcontinental
51 minutes ago, Kilmerfan said:

Of Biden does not debateTrump, Trump can use this to his advantage. The Democrats are chicken, if Biden is doing so well why is he afraid of a debate? Biden doing so great what is he afraid of? Hmmm.

That could be a good down home commercial. Chicken Joe Don't ya know...

• Agree (+1) 2

Dean Adam Smithee
2 hours ago, pepperonikkid said:

His recent events in Tulsa and Arizona were dominated by personal grievances. He resorted to his familiar themes from 2016 like reducing immigration and denouncing the press, but he offered nothing for those who aren’t already persuaded.

1 hour ago, mjperry51 said:

....Frank Luntz made some valid points the other day about Trumps current messaging; much of what worked for him in 2016 won't be as effective now as it was then. My view is Trump needs to modify his current style and tactics. Hillary isn't running -- Biden is.

Yes, it's true that 2020 isn't 2016. But I think that, up to a point, that works in Trump's favor as well.

In particular there were a considerable number on the right who in 2016 weren't persuaded that Trump was sincere in what he was saying and either stayed home or voted third-party because of it. Now those people have been persuaded, and I believe that it's more than enough to make up for those that Trump may have lost along the way for whatever reason.

• Agree (+1) 3

mjperry51
2 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Yes, it's true that 2020 isn't 2016. But I think that, up to a point, that works in Trump's favor as well.

In particular there were a considerable number on the right who in 2016 weren't persuaded that Trump was sincere in what he was saying and either stayed home or voted third-party because of it. Now those people have been persuaded, and I believe that it's more than enough to make up for those that Trump may have lost along the way for whatever reason.

We'll see.

There are those here who believe it will be Trump in a landslide. I'm not so sure. . .

• Agree (+1) 1

CHANG

Let’s not forget the most important factor- Trump still slaughters Biden in every poll when it comes to the economy. No matter how much middle class people beat their chest about social issues, when it’s them alone in that booth they’re voting for what’s best for them financially. Most people aren’t going to care about queer rights or black rights. 

• Best Post (+1) 3

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
2 hours ago, ThePatriot said:

This is the same playbook they tried last time.  Virtually all the polls had Trump down by 9, 10, 12 points and they turned out to be WRONG.

It's nothing more than propaganda meant to influence the election.

For those who don't know, over 10 MILLION people watched Trump's rally online and over 8 MILLION people watched him on Fox.

That's over 18 MILLION people tuning in just to see Trump at a rally.

There's your poll right there.

:clap:

Kilmerfan

Also this is the most America hating ,freedom hating bunch of Democrats I have ever seen they hate the U.S. taxpayer and it shows.

• Agree (+1) 3

zurg
22 hours ago, CHANG said:

Let’s not forget the most important factor- Trump still slaughters Biden in every poll when it comes to the economy. No matter how much middle class people beat their chest about social issues, when it’s them alone in that booth they’re voting for what’s best for them financially. Most people aren’t going to care about queer rights or black rights. 

21 hours ago, Kilmerfan said:

Also this is the most America hating ,freedom hating bunch of Democrats I have ever seen they hate the U.S. taxpayer and it shows.

I agree. When the pen hits the ballot, people vote their self-interest - just like it should be. Both the economy and the extreme radical nature of the left will drive people towards the safe (or safer) harbor: Trump.

Besides, it's absolutely ludicrous to think that a partisan poll in June is predictive of votes cast in November. The poll has one purpose and one purpose only: anti-Trump propaganda.

Ticked@TinselTown

Swoon?

Bitsy, just stop.

President Trump is doing what the American people want him to do and the reaction of the leftards and the media underscores that he's doing his job for us.