March Of The Credentialed Morons

Rate this topic

Liz

American Thinker

By Clarice Feldman

June 28, 2020

Excerpt:

1. Academic Disaster

For at least the past two decades, our colleges and universities have devolved into leftist training camps where free speech is labeled hateful and induced leftist conformity is the order of the day. Even professors at the University of Chicago, famed for its free speech code, fear to speak out.  

Mr. Cochrane wrote on June 15, “I spent much of my last few years of teaching afraid that I would say something that could be misunderstood and thus be offensive to someone. Many of my colleagues report the same worries.”

If that level of fear accurately describes the situation at the University of Chicago, where the university administration has deservedly won national attention for coming down clearly, decisively, and publicly on the “open debate” side of the campus speech wars, imagine just how bad things are in the rest of academia.

In a moment when black Americans fear being killed by police, the concern that tenured professors might be inconvenienced might seem trivial. The worry at Chicago, as described by Mr. Cochrane, was less that university administrators would, on their own initiative, rule speech out of bounds.

It was more that a student would lodge a grievance that would in turn generate an investigation that would then accumulate a momentum of its own -- with no due process. It could end with a teacher falsely labeled as a racist, one of the worst things a person can be called in contemporary America.

This leftist indoctrination of our young reminds me of a scene in the movie Indochine where, Camille, the adopted daughter, is arrested and sent to a high security prison and her mother is told, truthfully, that her only chance of surviving is to become a dedicated Communist. 

There are some things being done to try to reverse this, but they will take time: FIRE, a nonprofit organization dedicated to campus free speech, works hard to combat academic leftism. Alumni can refuse fundraising appeals. State legislatures can restrict sharply the funds to public universities. Employers can stop demanding diplomas as credentials, something they’ve been doing since aptitude and IQ tests were scrapped on the dubious notion they were biased. (Substituting a test of equal outcomes for equal opportunity is not only turning the Constitution on its head but is as well a proven means of dumbing down performance and worker morale.)

The President this week directed the federal government to prioritize applicants’ skills and aptitudes over college degrees.

If implemented widely, this should impact the higher education monopoly.

*snip*

Full Commentary

• Agree (+1) 1

Severian

Overeducated (aka over indoctrinated) idiots with degrees but who can't find their butts with both hands, a map, and a Garmin GPS. Government at all levels, especially the Federal Government, is chock full of them.

• Agree (+1) 1

ThePatriot
10 hours ago, Severian said:

Overeducated (aka over indoctrinated) idiots with degrees but who can't find their butts with both hands, a map, and a Garmin GPS. Government at all levels, especially the Federal Government, is chock full of them.

That reminds me of one of my most favorite quotes:

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." ~ Calvin Coolidge

• Agree (+1) 2

MontyPython

Cherish not overmuch thy knowledge of things, for knowledge, in and of itself, neither implies nor imparts wisdom.

-me

:D 

• Agree (+1) 1

Natural Selection
1 hour ago, MontyPython said:

Cherish not overmuch thy knowledge of things, for knowledge, in and of itself, neither implies nor imparts wisdom.

-me

:D 

Knowledge is essentially just memorized information.

• Agree (+1) 1

Severian

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• Haha (+1) 2

MontyPython
3 hours ago, Natural Selection said:

Knowledge is essentially just memorized information.

Exactly!

2 hours ago, Severian said:

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

:giggle: 

Howsithangin

The problem is that too many ppl confuse 'educated' with 'smart' or 'intelligent'.  One can be the former and not the latter, and vice versa

• Agree (+1) 1

Severian

Back when I was a baby physics student, my father (an Air Force First Sargent) used to get tickled by my approach to certain things, which often was theoretically correct, or at least it was based on my understanding, but practically inept. After a couple of years as an engineer, he commented at how my approach was a lot better. There's a big difference between book learnin and what you learn from the real world.

• Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython
1 hour ago, Severian said:

Back when I was a baby physics student, my father (an Air Force First Sargent) used to get tickled by my approach to certain things, which often was theoretically correct, or at least it was based on my understanding, but practically inept. After a couple of years as an engineer, he commented at how my approach was a lot better. There's a big difference between book learnin and what you learn from the real world.

:clap: :clap: :clap: