Masks Don’t Work: A Review of Science Relevant to COVID-19 Social Policy

Rate this topic

kestrel

It's not a health issue..It's a compliance issue

rcreader.com

Masks Don’t Work: A Review of Science Relevant to COVID-19 Social Policy

Author Todd McGreevy

Masks and respirators do not work.

There have been extensive randomized controlled trial (RCT) studies, and meta-analysis reviews of RCT studies, which all show that masks and respirators do not work to prevent respiratory influenza-like illnesses, or respiratory illnesses believed to be transmitted by droplets and aerosol particles.

Furthermore, the relevant known physics and biology, which I review, are such that masks and respirators should not work. It would be a paradox if masks and respirators worked, given what we know about viral respiratory diseases: The main transmission path is long-residence-time aerosol particles (< 2.5 μm), which are too fine to be blocked, and the minimum-infective dose is smaller than one aerosol particle.

The present paper about masks illustrates the degree to which governments, the mainstream media, and institutional propagandists can decide to operate in a science vacuum, or select only incomplete science that serves their interests. Such recklessness is also certainly the case with the current global lockdown of over 1 billion people, an unprecedented experiment in medical and political history.

(From Words from the Publisher: "We pledge to publish all letters, guest commentaries, or studies refuting [Rancourt's] general premise that this mask-wearing culture and shaming could be more harmful than helpful. Please send your feedback to info@rcreader.com.")

Review of the Medical Literature
Here are key anchor points to the extensive scientific literature that establishes that wearing surgical masks and respirators (e.g., “N95”) does not reduce the risk of contracting a verified illness:

Jacobs, J. L. et al. (2009) “Use of surgical face masks to reduce the incidence of the common cold among health care workers in Japan: A randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Infection Control, Volume 37, Issue 5, 417 – 419. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19216002

N95-masked health-care workers (HCW) were significantly more likely to experience headaches. Face mask use in HCW was not demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds.

Cowling, B. et al. (2010) “Face masks to prevent transmission of influenza virus: A systematic review,” Epidemiology and Infection, 138(4), 449-456. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/epidemiology-and-infection/article/face-masks-to-prevent-transmission-of-influenza-virus-a-systematic- review/64D368496EBDE0AFCC6639CCC9D8BC05

None of the studies reviewed showed a benefit from wearing a mask, in either HCW or community members in households (H). See summary Tables 1 and 2 therein.

bin-Reza et al. (2012) “The use of masks and respirators to prevent transmission of influenza: a systematic review of the scientific evidence,” Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 6(4), 257–267. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1750-2659.2011.00307.x

“There were 17 eligible studies. … None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”

Smith, J.D. et al. (2016) “Effectiveness of N95 respirators versus surgical masks in protecting health care workers from acute respiratory infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” CMAJ Mar 2016 https://www.cmaj.ca/content/188/8/567

“We identified six clinical studies … . In the meta-analysis of the clinical studies, we found no significant difference between N95 respirators and surgical masks in associated risk of (a) laboratory-confirmed respiratory infection, (b) influenza-like illness, or (c) reported work-place absenteeism.”

Offeddu, V. et al. (2017) “Effectiveness of Masks and Respirators Against Respiratory Infections in Healthcare Workers: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, Volume 65, Issue 11, 1 December 2017, Pages 1934–1942, https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/65/11/1934/4068747

“Self-reported assessment of clinical outcomes was prone to bias. Evidence of a protective effect of masks or respirators against verified respiratory infection (VRI) was not statistically significant”; as per Fig. 2c therein: 

Radonovich, L.J. et al. (2019) “N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza Among Health Care Personnel: A Randomized Clinical Trial,” JAMA. 2019; 322(9): 824–833. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2749214

“Among 2862 randomized participants, 2371 completed the study and accounted for 5180 HCW-seasons. ... Among outpatient health care personnel, N95 respirators vs medical masks as worn by participants in this trial resulted in no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza.”

Long, Y. et al. (2020) “Effectiveness of N95 respirators versus surgical masks against influenza: A systematic review and meta-analysis,” J Evid Based Med. 2020; 1- 9. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/jebm.12381

“A total of six RCTs involving 9,171 participants were included. There were no statistically significant differences in preventing laboratory-confirmed influenza, laboratory-confirmed respiratory viral infections, laboratory-confirmed respiratory infection, and influenza-like illness using N95 respirators and surgical masks. Meta-analysis indicated a protective effect of N95 respirators against laboratory-confirmed bacterial colonization (RR = 0.58, 95% CI 0.43-0.78). The use of N95 respirators compared with surgical masks is not associated with a lower risk of laboratory-confirmed influenza.”

Conclusion Regarding That Masks Do Not Work
No RCT study with verified outcome shows a benefit for HCW or community members in households to wearing a mask or respirator. There is no such study. There are no exceptions.

the resr here:

https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/masks-dont-work-covid-a-review-of-science-relevant-to-covide-19-social-policy

• Best Post (+1) 1

Bubbajoebob

This collection of articles agrees with what the public health people are saying: wearing a mask probably doesn't protect you much from contracting covid or any other virus. But that's not their purpose. Wearing a mask reduces the chance of you passing on a disease to someone else, doing better than "turn your head when you cough" or "cover your face when you sneeze" that we all learned from our parents and teachers as kids. I don't see any links to tests of masks preventing spreading disease in the article.

• Agree (+1) 3

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

Compliance?

You mean submission?

• Agree (+1) 1

ThePatriot

HERD IMMUNITY IS THE ANSWER.

Wearing masks does NOTHING but make scared little rabbits "feel" better.

• Agree (+1) 2

mliff1

What cracks me up is when i see people wearing masks and gloves when they are driving their cars. A person at our work told my wife, i wonder how it will be next year when half of our friends/family are dead....

• Agree (+1) 1

Joe the Pagan
1 hour ago, Bubbajoebob said:

This collection of articles agrees with what the public health people are saying: wearing a mask probably doesn't protect you much from contracting covid or any other virus. But that's not their purpose. Wearing a mask reduces the chance of you passing on a disease to someone else, doing better than "turn your head when you cough" or "cover your face when you sneeze" that we all learned from our parents and teachers as kids. I don't see any links to tests of masks preventing spreading disease in the article.

I work in retail.  You would be surprised by the amount of people who would  not cover their mouth when they cough before the pandemic.  We are also find customers once they get into the store removing their masks when they think no one is looking.

MontyPython

As I said in a previous thread my wife and I have many friends in the healthcare community - Doctors and nurses and nursing-home workers and home caregivers and even one dentist. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has informed us that wearing masks can actually be harmful to the wearer under many circumstances. Not being medically trained myself I can't repeat the actual terminology or jargon they used, or anything like that. But they are all adamant that in many cases the masks do much more harm than good.

B)

• Agree (+1) 3

Ticked@TinselTown

So all the asshats in the media who are screaming, stamping their feet and pointing their fingers at President Trump for NOT wearing his mask while he speaks to the American people can ALL GO POUND SAND!!

• Agree (+1) 1

moocow
2 hours ago, Bubbajoebob said:

And how well do homemade cloth masks, bandanas, or “non-medical or N95” masks work for doing that? And what evidence or studies have been done to prove the efficacy of those types of masks?

And a more general question, is what precedence are we setting here? If masks are good at stopping the spread of disease, why not make them permanent? Kind of like requiring people to wear pants or breast covering while in public, except requiring a mask? There’s basically no cost to it, as has been shown by EVERYONE wearing one now. So what’s to stop the government from implementing such a law? 

ThePatriot
56 minutes ago, Joe the Pagan said:

I work in retail.  You would be surprised by the amount of people who would  not cover their mouth when they cough before the pandemic.  We are also find customers once they get into the store removing their masks when they think no one is looking.

Well, since wearing masks doesn't make a damn bit of difference, at least you're aware it doesn't matter if they take the mask off or not.  Knowledge is power.

• Agree (+1) 1

Specs
3 hours ago, Bubbajoebob said:

The regressives trying to force us to wear a mash are saying the masks will help prevent the spread. And you disprove your assertions when you say "Wearing a mask reduces the chance of you passing on a disease to someone else." Sorry, that is exactly saying that the masks prevent the spread of the disease, which these studies show that is not true.

You can try to massage the definitions all you want, but the words you are saying do not reflect reality.

• Agree (+1) 1

zurg
3 hours ago, Bubbajoebob said:

I didn’t go through the studies, but judging by the brief statements given, I certainly believe that masks don’t protect the “intake” action. I have zero quarrel with that. Even if it’s found that they protect slightly from an airborne infection, I don’t think they’d be worth it for that reason. 

But like you state, again based on the brief reading of what’s stated here, it’s all directed towards the “intake”, the breathing in, the catching an infection part of it. But we all know that there are two components at work here. One is the transmitter of the disease and the other is the recipient of the disease. I admit that I have accepted as true the claim that a mask worn by potential transmitter does protect a potential recipient. I don’t know if these articles address that. 

If it’s proven that masks serve no transmittive protection, then I’ll admit to having been duped and wrong; however, I think it’s fair that I ask for a study on that too. Intuitively, it makes at least some sense that e.g. someone who sneezes or sings or yells loudly would spew more from their lungs and membranes, and that a mask cover would protect others. Does anyone disagree with this? I feel that I’m going to get blasted for having this opinion, but unfortunately this is what makes sense to me right now.

moocow
23 minutes ago, zurg said:

I didn’t go through the studies, but judging by the brief statements given, I certainly believe that masks don’t protect the “intake” action. I have zero quarrel with that. Even if it’s found that they protect slightly from an airborne infection, I don’t think they’d be worth it for that reason. 

But like you state, again based on the brief reading of what’s stated here, it’s all directed towards the “intake”, the breathing in, the catching an infection part of it. But we all know that there are two components at work here. One is the transmitter of the disease and the other is the recipient of the disease. I admit that I have accepted as true the claim that a mask worn by potential transmitter does protect a potential recipient. I don’t know if these articles address that. 

If it’s proven that masks serve no transmittive protection, then I’ll admit to having been duped and wrong; however, I think it’s fair that I ask for a study on that too. Intuitively, it makes at least some sense that e.g. someone who sneezes or sings or yells loudly would spew more from their lungs and membranes, and that a mask cover would protect others. Does anyone disagree with this? I feel that I’m going to get blasted for having this opinion, but unfortunately this is what makes sense to me right now.

I guess my question would be why the asymmetry?  In fact, as a matter of prevention, I would expect a mask to be more effective at preventing the user from inhaling the disease than preventing the user from exhaling and spreading the disease. When you take a breath in (and subject yourself to possible infection), you’re creating a negative pressure on your side of the mask. This would tend to form better seals between the mask and face and create a better barrier. On the other hand, when you exhale (subject others to possible infection), you’re creating a positive pressure on your side of the mask. This would tend to break any sealing action between yourself and the mask. This would allow moisture, droplets, and aerosol  to more readily escape. Granted, such escape would be redirected more to the sides of the mask rather than directly ahead, so in that sense, it would be a much more indirect path to infection. So maybe that would help. 

But as to your other point about a study, me general feeling is the study should have already been done and proven before making government mandates. The fact that there is still debate about this shows the utter failure of government and their policies. Masks have been around and used for at least 50 years now, if not longer. So there’s really no excuse for this information not being well known and distributed. 

zurg
23 minutes ago, moocow said:

I guess my question would be why the asymmetry?  In fact, as a matter of prevention, I would expect a mask to be more effective at preventing the user from inhaling the disease than preventing the user from exhaling and spreading the disease. When you take a breath in (and subject yourself to possible infection), you’re creating a negative pressure on your side of the mask. This would tend to form better seals between the mask and face and create a better barrier. On the other hand, when you exhale (subject others to possible infection), you’re creating a positive pressure on your side of the mask. This would tend to break any sealing action between yourself and the mask. This would allow moisture, droplets, and aerosol  to more readily escape. Granted, such escape would be redirected more to the sides of the mask rather than directly ahead, so in that sense, it would be a much more indirect path to infection. So maybe that would help. 

But as to your other point about a study, me general feeling is the study should have already been done and proven before making government mandates. The fact that there is still debate about this shows the utter failure of government and their policies. Masks have been around and used for at least 50 years now, if not longer. So there’s really no excuse for this information not being well known and distributed. 

Those are fair points. I’m absolutely no expert here. My area is electronics. 

I certainly agree that there SHOULD be a study done with conclusive results. I’m pretty sure there are many such studies. 

Specs
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zurg said:

I would say these studies offer the proof that you are looking for. Granted my area of expertise is not medical, I am able to form an opinion based on how these virus's work and the studies done by experts.

These viruses are spread more by contact with a surface and not by spittle. So, if you take your mask home and put it on the counter all those virus droplets are being spread to that counter, and then to whoever comes by and picks the mask up, or maybe you do and then do not wash the counter. Or you get in the car and take it off and then do not disinfect your hands before driving the car, spreading it to the steering wheel and other parts of the car where it will be alive for days. And so on and so forth.

Edited by Specs

Noclevermoniker

99205111-2357-42EE-A2FB-3C025370C6B5.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

MontyPython

If your pants and underwear can't "protect" anybody from your farts, then how could anybody be foolish enough to believe a cloth mask will "protect" anybody from an airborne virus?

:scratch: 

• Haha (+1) 1

moocow
56 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

If your pants and underwear can't "protect" anybody from your farts, then how could anybody be foolish enough to believe a cloth mask will "protect" anybody from an airborne virus?

:scratch: 

I don't speak authoritatively on this at all (I'm an electrical engineer by trade), but I suppose one MAIN difference is "farts" (or at least the smell of them) are simple compounds.  Basically a few atoms bonded together.  A virus is WAY bigger than a simple compound like hydrogen sulfide. (But I do agree with the basic idea your stating here.  I really don't think masks are all that effective... or at least really haven't seen any evidence that they are).

Timothy
7 hours ago, moocow said:

My understanding of the science behind the masks and exhaling is that is that the primary purpose is to limit the spread of droplets which contain the virus.  They keep you from projecting them out.  I've seen some articles saying that face shields could be as effective as masks.

• Agree (+1) 1

mliff1

projecting them out....like farts.

Ladybird
Posted (edited)

So sneezing and coughing is the same as passing gas. Alrighty then..

Edited by Ladybird

Noclevermoniker

Would kente cloth be as effective?  Asking for a friend...

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Severian
24 minutes ago, Noclevermoniker said:

Would kente cloth be as effective?  Asking for a friend...

Sorry, it's not available, all the virtue signaling Democrats have bought it all up.

• Haha (+1) 1

MontyPython
9 hours ago, moocow said:

I don't speak authoritatively on this at all (I'm an electrical engineer by trade), but I suppose one MAIN difference is "farts" (or at least the smell of them) are simple compounds.  Basically a few atoms bonded together.  A virus is WAY bigger than a simple compound like hydrogen sulfide. (But I do agree with the basic idea your stating here.  I really don't think masks are all that effective... or at least really haven't seen any evidence that they are).

OK, but how about the fact that many medical professionals insist that the masks are worse than merely "ineffective", they're actually harmful to the wearer in many cases?

B)

kestrel
1 hour ago, MontyPython said:

OK, but how about the fact that many medical professionals insist that the masks are worse than merely "ineffective", they're actually harmful to the wearer in many cases?

B)

Yep they say that with a mask the virus is slowed from exiting and can potentially infect the nasal passages and even the optic nerve due to the proximity of a mass of virus particles..plus if you have it to the point that your coughing and spitting why would you go out anyway?

Kestrel...